FoliFish

2018 Herring Observations

114 posts in this topic

The problem isn't just by-catch with mid-water trawling.  That method targets entire schools and wipes them out.  Targeted species and non-targeted species.    

It is now also being reported that pair-trawlers are depleting our waters of sea herring and are now asking NMFS to allow them to net in breeding grounds.

The numbers taken by recreational fishermen were always considered insignificant. When the time comes lets hope they open it back up.

Watertown was barren when I stopped by a few hours ago. Surprising.   The last few years have been excellent, acres and acres of herring.

Falmouth run was packed with herring when I went fishing this morning. All milling about below the fish ladder. None in the pond that I could see.

4 hours ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Watertown was barren when I stopped by a few hours ago. Surprising.   The last few years have been excellent, acres and acres of herring.

Tons of fish at the mouth trying to get through the locks. There were so many trapped in one lock I thought they would die of oxygen deprivation.  Luckily a boat came through and the lock emptied out. Looks like a banner return if it last through may.

31 mins ago, BnBoston said:

Tons of fish at the mouth trying to get through the locks. There were so many trapped in one lock I thought they would die of oxygen deprivation.  Luckily a boat came through and the lock emptied out. Looks like a banner return if it last through may.

they are there in numbers 2 days ago…water was very high and fast

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 0:47 PM, beerdoh said:

The problem is by-catch from mid-water Pair Trawling. Predators such as sea birds are all part of the natural cycle. People damming the runs and over harvesting are not. Last year the count in my local run was way down probably due to top end die off and trawlers. This looks to be a very good year as evidenced in the video. My local run has a lot of community support behind it. There is a core group of people who maintain it year round with a yearly community cleanup every April. We also watch regularly for poachers and tell the uninformed to leave them alone. This improves the herring's odds to make their way up to the spawning grounds but does nothing to protect them from trawlers and poachers in the open ocean. You do what you can.

IMG_3363.MOV

'Tis a beautiful thing..!

There were a couple hundred herring at the canal run this morning making their way thru the ladder. Still not thick, but a good sign.

Quick question. Hopefully someone will know. I saw a bunch of perch along with herring today at a run tonight. I could easily net some perch while standing on some rocks.

Is it legal for me to scoop out some perch even though they're amongst herring if I want to use the perch for bait?

I can't talk to legality of dipping perch. But I can imagine the face of  the EPO officer when you try explain, as you stand at the edge of a herring run with a dip net, that your only taking perch. I would think a minnow trap would be better advised.

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, BnBoston said:

But I can imagine the face of  the EPO officer when you try explain, as you stand at the edge of a herring run with a dip net, that your only taking perch.

But if there are only perch in my bucket would that be proof enough? I saw so many perch it would literally take me 15 minutes to get all I need

Edited by zak-striper

On 4/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, FishingisaScience said:

Brewster this AM

20180415_110301.jpg

was up to about 27,000 today

gulls gorging themselves

not very familiar with herring runs, crazy amount of activity

Posted (edited)

On the way to make a visit yesterday I stopped at the Elks club, in Wareham, to see the run and from all indications it was as strong as I can recall from other past years when we were allowed to use them for bait.

Edited by Angler #1

i accidentally snagged 1  Fri evening with a zoom fluke in a local marsh, fairly wide open area too, kinda weird

(immediately released)

how long are they generally in the ponds before dropping back out?