FoliFish

2018 Herring Observations

114 posts in this topic

I observed a herring run with a counter today for about 5 minutes. The top ladder had at least a dozen fish holding in the current, yet I only saw 1 go through it in the time I was there. I did however, observe 2 fish fall down from the top ladder in that same time. I assume those same fish would have proceeded into the pond had the counter not been there. Anyone else believe the fish counters "spook" the herring?

13 hours ago, Belerk said:

I observed a herring run with a counter today for about 5 minutes. The top ladder had at least a dozen fish holding in the current, yet I only saw 1 go through it in the time I was there. I did however, observe 2 fish fall down from the top ladder in that same time. I assume those same fish would have proceeded into the pond had the counter not been there. Anyone else believe the fish counters "spook" the herring?

i have observed similar behavior in the past. But i think DMF who is doing the counting has been aware and has modified the counters to try to overcome this. once a big slug of fish comes through they don't hesitate. I think the hesitation happens more when there are few fish around.

14 hours ago, Belerk said:

I used to have fun scaring herring up the ladder in Rehoboth.  You start at the bottom and walk alongside on the sunny side.  About halfway up each section you'd see the silver flashes zip up to the next.

Sometimes they would go back down too.

I listened to my friend Hanover and stopped by Oliver Mill Wednesday.  A

lot of fish in the lower pools making their way up.  Ton of gulls feasting too.

(sorry.  Lousy camera phone pic)

224A9B2C-508B-4377-A747-5D8BA0269C6D.jpeg

Only spotted a few in one of the eastham runs this am.

A seal was chowing down on herring in the Wareham run this afternoon at the Elks club. Anyone get a photo or vid? I have a link to one but it's not on an allowed SOL link.

-bd

12 mins ago, glenncudmore said:

Definitely here

003A2548.jpg

Great first post. Welcome.

1 hour ago, glenncudmore said:

Definitely here

003A2548.jpg

Excellent picture. Did you take it? :th:

5 hours ago, glenncudmore said:

Definitely here

003A2548.jpg