fish caught on plastic plugs 2018 edtion

Rate this topic

Heavy Hooksetter

2 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

You’ll have to take my word it was caught on plastic, 7” Redfin. 

CC0C82A4-0B4C-4FC6-B186-F2096DE5BB6A.jpeg

Nice fish, not sure i'd want to eat it though.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

38 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

It was released. I assume it was mycobacterialosis, and a gnarly case of it. 

Still a great fish, was the redfin loaded. :howdy:

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

8 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Roddy,

Nice job with the Northbars.  I just picked one up this winter to try out.  Do you load the Northbars ?    I was wondering what you mean by LDP style fishing.   

Ty,,I have developed a feel for them and I can control them and their depth when working a rip,slow is the game and when you feel the rips grab them slow it down and it will stay at the same depth,speed it up and it will go a bit deeper.

as for loading them,I don't like to mess with their or any plugs design unless it is the lip on a custom wood plug.

I may modify it if it has too much lip.

loading them or any other plastic plug,no,would not change it.now,LDP style fishing stands for long distance plugging.

I work a huge mudflat that's off shore I throw the plug out,let it ride the tide and then roll it home slow,covering the area as much as possible.

one can reel in half way then free spool it back out or any amount of distance one wants,one can even let it hang out there waggling and the fish will find it.

can do it with a surface swimmer or shallow diver or even a deeper diver depending  on the flats depth.

have proven it many times,too many to count.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

1 hour ago, Roddy said:

Ty,,I have developed a feel for them and I can control them and their depth when working a rip,slow is the game and when you feel the rips grab them slow it down and it will stay at the same depth,speed it up and it will go a bit deeper.

as for loading them,I don't like to mess with their or any plugs design unless it is the lip on a custom wood plug.

loading them or any other plastic plug,no,would not change it.now,LDP style fishing stands for long distance plugging.

I work a huge mudflat that's off shore I throw the plug out,let it ride the tide and then roll it home slow,covering the area as much as possible.

one can reel in half way then free spool it back out or any amount of distance one wants,one can even let it hang out there waggling and the fish will find it.

can do it with a surface swimmer or shallow diver or even a deeper diver depending  on the flats depth.

HH

Thanks for the info ...   I got to try that LDP method of yours 

22 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Thanks for the info ...   I got to try that LDP method of yours 

oh yes,it works killer.

all you need is a current that flows away from you and cast out,let it ride the tide waay out,engage the reel and slow roll it home,you can stop it and let it float back out at any point.

if you have deep water like 20 feet you can use a creek chub giant pikie,gibbs bottle or northbar type lure and if there are any out there,you can get them.

mind you,I don't fish spinning I only do winches so it works very well for me.

one shot of a fish taken on a CC giant pikie using that method.

HH

a couple in the low 20's

5afa167e59968_HHPlugWerxLDP777.thumb.JPG.beea458b76050cc6320c0a765b1a6931.JPG

5afa16af2ea8b_HHPlugWerxLDP779.thumb.JPG.bda0b3e5f4e134ef14e4839d0470b998.JPG

2 hours ago, Roddy said:

oh yes,it works killer.

all you need is a current that flows away from you and cast out,let it ride the tide waay out,engage the reel and slow roll it home,you can stop it and let it float back out at any point.

if you have deep water like 20 feet you can use a creek chub giant pikie,gibbs bottle or northbar type lure and if there are any out there,you can get them.

mind you,I don't fish spinning I only do winches so it works very well for me.

one shot of a fish taken on a CC giant pikie using that method.

HH

a couple in the low 20's

5afa167e59968_HHPlugWerxLDP777.thumb.JPG.beea458b76050cc6320c0a765b1a6931.JPG

5afa16af2ea8b_HHPlugWerxLDP779.thumb.JPG.bda0b3e5f4e134ef14e4839d0470b998.JPG

Great, thanks for the tip   I use spinning reels but I will give it a try  ...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, UncleJohn said:

Great, thanks for the tip   I use spinning reels but I will give it a try  ...

one cane do it with a spinner,I was just saying that don't like 'em and never did really,always felt awkward casting and cranking them even though I fished with them for a long time.

now after 30 years a winch is what I needed all along.

use the method well and don't rush when rolling it home.

HH

On 5/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, Roddy said:

HH

That right there is the reason I keep coming back here. :th:

15 hours ago, Roddy said:

one cane do it with a spinner,I was just saying that don't like 'em and never did really,always felt awkward casting and cranking them even though I fished with them for a long time.

now after 30 years a winch is what I needed all along.

use the method well and don't rush when rolling it home.

HH

I am the opposite, but I have to give the conventional reel a try. I will add that to my list of things to learn this year. Haha

Do you recommend I load the conventional reel with mono first or braid for a beginner?

Thanks for your tips. 

Edited by young

8 hours ago, young said:

I am the opposite, but I have to give the conventional reel a try. I will add that to my list of things to learn this year. Haha

Do you recommend I load the conventional reel with mono first or braid for a beginner?

Thanks for your tips. 

personally,I don't do braid,I use salt striker copolymer line from cabelas.

the line I use on my big sticks would be 25-40lb,the copolymer line is thinner than standard mono,cheap and you can buy it in bulk spools for cheap.

the 30lb is as thin as 20 standard mono more or less.

there are several other cheap monos I use and they perform well.

omniflex being one of them and very cheap @ $1.74 a spool of 15 @500yds.

tried them late last year and it did good.

sea-striker is another one I like,very soft and smooth.

with braid it has to be spooled on tight!

HH