Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2018

Rate this topic

luckyOC

Poked around the Nanticoke yesterday in DE and MD for a few hours. Caught some white perch and a couple rock, Watched a fisherchick land a pretty good size blue cat fish that might have went 20# or so. I'll give it a go again tomorrow then off to the beaches next week.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:31 AM, Salt Roach said:

Apparently the Point in Hatteras was on absolute fire this past week...one day I will make it there..

Absolutely on fire. Came here for work and did some night fishing. Monster reds and black drums. Debating if I should stay for the weekend or go up to OC for the blue run.

22 mins ago, dannpakk said:

Absolutely on fire. Came here for work and did some night fishing. Monster reds and black drums. Debating if I should stay for the weekend or go up to OC for the blue run.

Leaving good fish to find fish seldom pays out!

....what blue run?

Edited by Catskill John

ASSUME NOTHING

54 mins ago, dannpakk said:

Wise words. Chunking with 8oz weights is not cup of tea, but action is action. The point is hands down the Mecca of drum fishing:theman:

Yeah Montauk light house rocks for Stripers and Hatteras Point for Bull Drum.  2 places crowded and dangerous.  Dont know which is more exhilarating... standing next to a guy with 8oz and bait being flung 150yds from a 13ft rod every 15 minutes or a a guy with a 3oz pencil with sharp treble's every 5 minutes on slippery rocks.

I want to go to both but the crowd is a trial by fire.  Wish I had a relative that was familiar so I could break the ice with somebody at either place.  Ill go one day for sure when I feel ready.

33 mins ago, AdamHJeep said:

Yeah Montauk light house rocks for Stripers and Hatteras Point for Bull Drum.  2 places crowded and dangerous.  Dont know which is more exhilarating... standing next to a guy with 8oz and bait being flung 150yds from a 13ft rod every 15 minutes or a a guy with a 3oz pencil with sharp treble's every 5 minutes on slippery rocks.

I want to go to both but the crowd is a trial by fire.  Wish I had a relative that was familiar so I could break the ice with somebody at either place.  Ill go one day for sure when I feel ready.

Been to both and agree that these are two meccas on the east coast. I generally fish away from the regs because there is just way too much drama between them (alot less at the point). If I do, best rule of thumb I find is to watch what they do, cast the same weight, and retrieve in same manner. 

3 hours ago, AdamHJeep said:

yea I'd get used to fishing smaller crowds and line-ups before heading to either of those.  Find any place that has moving current and a number of people fishing a close area and you'll get to learn how it operates.  It's all similar.

When I was in FL in February fishing sebastian we had a mini conga line on the end of the  jetty throwing plugs when you'd rotate along the rocks constantly following your plug as it swept around.  I sat back and watched for a bit before jumping into it. Long as everyone knows the rhythm and routine it's not that bad at all.

25 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

yea I'd get used to fishing smaller crowds and line-ups before heading to either of those.  Find any place that has moving current and a number of people fishing a close area and you'll get to learn how it operates.  It's all similar.

When I was in FL in February fishing sebastian we had a mini conga line on the end of the  jetty throwing plugs when you'd rotate along the rocks constantly following your plug as it swept around.  I sat back and watched for a bit before jumping into it. Long as everyone knows the rhythm and routine it's not that bad at all.

Agreed . I've never seen tempers flare anywhere except the Point . Those guys don't show any mercy . If you F up and cast over a couple or even one guy , your line is being cut before you can even react to the F up . I've seen this happen a dozen times with a couple of pretty heated moments.  Watching and getting the rhythm of what  they have going is a must .  

Bill and I have put in only about 7 days this spring so far, the weather has prevented our usual amount of fishing. Tom Nelson, once again was the first (known to me) local to catch a black......but he being modest refused to report it....I had one the next day......I didn't see Tom catch his but he did get a shot of me catching mine......to tell you I was ecstatic would be an understatement .....fortunately for me Bill had something to do and wasn't fishing otherwise he would have certainly caught it....

IMG_3956c.jpg

Hey Allen, I think I stopped by your set up driving off this afternoon. Next time I’ll make sure to introduce myself if that was you.

congrats on the early drum!

My third day out and only skates for me so far from the beach. It “feels” like it’s about to go off, for whatever that’s worth...

tight lines all!

Another terrible opening day rock on the Chesapeake.  Hardly a fish caught from Love Point to Solomon's from what my sources say.  So bad skipping tomorrow. Ill have to catch up next week after my Memphis trip.  Only good thing is I wont have to freeze a filet.