luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2018

159 posts in this topic

I read somewhere there was a possible change to the flounder regulations, regarding size.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, AdamHJeep said:

You are right on the "learning"...  i think mortality is at highest risk when dead stick chumming however cus people use too small a hook and too small a bait chunk. They inhale it and catch more gills with a  j hook.

Last year we chummed with all circle and had no problems.  In fact my uncle yelled at me for cutting bait too small.  We limited in about 1.5 hours and left for home.  With new reg @ 19 inches I bet we would have been done in half that time.  I wasnt a fan of it however and only went once and on that trip his chum grinder mount broke anyway. I prefer spring trolling and summer eeling on a boat for my keeper stripers. 

I practice catch and release while surfcasting except for fresh bait, any slot drum, or my first 30+ pounder striper from the surf.  Once I get a 30lb maybe ill move the bar to 35 or 40lb and keep no more till that one.

I kept my first 30lber a couple years ago and legit regret keeping her every time I think of it. There's nothing like putting her down and reviving her and watching her kick away to continue on her journey.

Saw some recent pics of decent size blues (5-7lb) showing up down along NC.

Edited by kurazy kracka

Couldn't agree more KK.  I've kept some big fish in the past and regret it.  Much more satisfying to watch them swim away.

6 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I kept my first 30lber a couple years ago and legit regret keeping her every time I think of it. There's nothing like putting her down and reviving her and watching her kick away to continue on her journey.

Saw some recent pics of decent size blues (5-7lb) showing up down along NC.

I get that kracka... and it is comments like that why i am on here and why I might let her go still.   Actually, i have the luxury of occasional free travel from my job. Truthfully i think my first 30lb surfcasting (shorecasting) striper will be at the Cape Cod Canal or Montauk... and if that... ill let them go for sure.

I cant say what will happen on my Assetague quest... but I promise it will be in reverence of her... Morone saxatilis (aka striped bass).

9 hours ago, AdamHJeep said:

I get that kracka... and it is comments like that why i am on here and why I might let her go still.   Actually, i have the luxury of occasional free travel from my job. Truthfully i think my first 30lb surfcasting (shorecasting) striper will be at the Cape Cod Canal or Montauk... and if that... ill let them go for sure.

I cant say what will happen on my Assetague quest... but I promise it will be in reverence of her... Morone saxatilis (aka striped bass).

it can be very time consuming trying to find the big girls but don't overlook local water.  I see you are in Bmore, this exact time right now you have a good shot of a 30+ from shore during C&R all around you.

Posted (edited)

I believe they decided on 4 flounder at 16.5 inches. No closed season. Any bait shop can advise.

Edited by Beachman22

Had to post my first 30 Bluefish. Sebastian inlet is the place to be on Friday night 

20180406_190134.jpg

4 mins ago, VaKeith said:

Had to post my first 30 Bluefish. Sebastian inlet is the place to be on Friday night 

20180406_190134.jpg

Florida?

Yes down here in Florida. This inlet for some reason brings all the fish here at different times of the year. 

23 mins ago, VaKeith said:

Yes down here in Florida. This inlet for some reason brings all the fish here at different times of the year. 

Nice! Is there drive on beach access?  What did you it on bait or plugs?

Posted (edited)

That inlet gave me some great Snook fishing......

.....on plugs, when the crowds went home to sleep.

Edited by Catskill John

No drive on here. Beach cart only. Dead finger mullet on the beach. Got 3 so far. 18, 20 then the 30. No bites in the past 2 hours. 

Yes on snook. Some in March the main time is mid September into October when 1000s of finger mullet school in the inlet and beach. Also brings in the big Reds and  Tarpoon. 

heard reports of some racer blues down OCMD last week...??? Gonna start the good old spring grind next week...good bye sleep

17 hours ago, Catskill John said:

That inlet gave me some great Snook fishing......

.....on plugs, when the crowds went home to sleep.

I went down in February to fish the inlets. It was sadly right when snook season opened so trying to fish nights was all but impossible. I did hit an inlet just south and missed 4 hits from tarpon and finally hooked one that jumped me. 

Heres a Sebastian snook during tax season 

IMG_7302.JPG