luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2018

183 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Hears to spring and hopefully the start to a great fishing season!

Fenwick Island, Easter morning. Lost a little bait, but that was all. The bright side was watching the dolphins and a seal. The fishing was great, the catching stunk...

In Rehoboth my neighbors said that a seagull pulled a nice sized fish out of the surf Easter Sunday.  From the description, I think it was a shad.  To those smarter than me, does that make sense?

12 mins ago, nedakjohn said:

In Rehoboth my neighbors said that a seagull pulled a nice sized fish out of the surf Easter Sunday.  From the description, I think it was a shad.  To those smarter than me, does that make sense?

It does; could also have been a mossbunker.

Could have been shad. Likely bunker. I found a few whole bunker washed up on the beach the other week. Gulls were picking at a few of them. Gannets were diving like crazy around the OC Inlet this past weekend too so there must be plenty of bait around.

As for a report, I tried the back bay for the first time the other night. Typical stuff - schoolie stripers between 12" - 24". It was just enough action to scratch the itch, but also to make the itch itchier.

a quick report, for the 1st time this year, yesterday 4pm to 7pm from OC inlet to couple bridges down, and to the opposite side of the back bay towards Assateague bridge, i tried some plastics, and gulps, didnt see any bunker, shad, stripers, and expected big blue eyed deamons yet! but should be any minute...

Went fishing for three hours Easter Sunday mid day in the back bay and OC inlet.  Like Castnet I saw the gulls diving offshore from the inlet for about 45 minutes.  Something is schooling up out there.  I threw plugs knowing there was likely nothing happening.  Good time to see the action of the plugs I made this winter and to just enjoy the weather. 

I was out off Cape Henlopen last week.  Nothing in the surf, but, like the others, I saw gannets diving frequently.  But too far out for me to reach

Took the yak out this morning in the back. Water temp still in the high 40's. I saw an osprey hammer what I'm assuming was a bunker. My neighbor said that in the middle of the night a couple nights ago a giant school of fish were breaking all around our marina. I am guessing it was a school of adult bunker breaking the surface but who knows

The logic behind that makes a ton of sense:banghd: . Really like the reasoning in there for not wanting circle hooks

My Uncle has the same logic that catch and release hurts more than a responsible "catch and keep and stop" style fishing he has always had. I do think it makes sense in that if you target keeper size fish appropriately, and only fish until you catch your limit, you are less invasive to the fishery than say someone catching 30 fish and releasing all 30 with the risk of 20% negative morality.  For fishing by boat I agree to this logic but shorecasting to me HAS to be less prominent as areas are harder to come by (at least in Delmarva).  I think this all chalk's up to what your ability to access the fishery is.  If you dont own a boat, shorecasting catch and release seams more enjoyable and responsible... if you fish by boat then I agree higher rates of catch and release can be more of a negative thing. 

Posted (edited)

I get what they are tried to say in there. The issue is, what happens when we start catching a lot of 16" or 12" do we continue to lower the size limit? How about figure out ways to lower the fish mortality from C&R for the smaller fish. Oh wait, we can't expect people to learn new things/fishing methods based on why circle hooks aren't a good option in the article according to the one guy....

Edited by BLilly

3 hours ago, BLilly said:

I get what they are tried to say in there. The issue is, what happens when we start catching a lot of 16" or 12" do we continue to lower the size limit? How about figure out ways to lower the fish mortality from C&R for the smaller fish. Oh wait, we can't expect people to learn new things/fishing methods based on why circle hooks aren't a good option in the article according to the one guy....

You are right on the "learning"...  i think mortality is at highest risk when dead stick chumming however cus people use too small a hook and too small a bait chunk. They inhale it and catch more gills with a  j hook.

Last year we chummed with all circle and had no problems.  In fact my uncle yelled at me for cutting bait too small.  We limited in about 1.5 hours and left for home.  With new reg @ 19 inches I bet we would have been done in half that time.  I wasnt a fan of it however and only went once and on that trip his chum grinder mount broke anyway. I prefer spring trolling and summer eeling on a boat for my keeper stripers. 

I practice catch and release while surfcasting except for fresh bait, any slot drum, or my first 30+ pounder striper from the surf.  Once I get a 30lb maybe ill move the bar to 35 or 40lb and keep no more till that one.