Thinking of hooking up to town sewerage

Rate this topic

bob_G

I'm considering hooking up my second home to town sewerage.  Does anyone have ideas as to what I should expect to spend?

Town sewerage is already on my street. The home is set back about 50' from the street. The present cesspool is in the backyard, so a new sewer pipe will have to be installed to the other side of the home. 

Town hook up fees are $660 per bedroom. Three are three bedrooms. So the main costs appear to be plumbing and excavation.

Thoughts?

Tia

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm considering hooking up my second home to town sewerage.  Does anyone have ideas as to what I should expect to spend?

Town sewerage is already on my street. The home is set back about 50' from the street. The present cesspool is in the backyard, so a new sewer pipe will have to be installed to the other side of the home. 

Town hook up fees are $660 per bedroom. Three are three bedrooms. So the main costs appear to be plumbing and excavation.

Thoughts?

Tia

There's no impact fee?

7 mins ago, Dave588 said:

There's no impact fee?

No idea what that is?

4 mins ago, mybeach said:

fees to abandon the cesspool? fill it? permits? inspections? pumping?

Didn't realize the cesspool has to be filled in. I'm learning something already.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Back in the cast iron days it was $20-25 /foot in my area of NY for the plumbing only. Im sure you can get current per foot figures on the phone for your area.  pvc may now be legal there as well, except near a driveway, or at the actual tie in. Every town is different.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Yeah, town website says $660 per bedroom, $100 permit fee to an approved drainlayer, Then they charge you by water use or about $900 year if your on a well. There doesnt appear to be an impact fee.

Getting septic pumped every 2 years is about $250. The city sewer does normally increase the value of your home if you are going to sell it. 

Edited by Dave588

5 hours ago, Talltale said:

Does your town have itemized real estate tax bills?  If so, a neighbor may be able to tell you how much the "Sewer District" portion of the bill is.

For example, of my $9k annual tax bill, $921.00 goes to the Sewer District.

It's not the annual bill I'm concerned with. I'm wondering which would be cheaper. Eventually replacing the old sceptic system down the road, or simply hooking into town sewerage now? 

I know what it costs to replace a sceptic system. Would it be cheaper to simply hook up to the town?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Town is probably cheaper in the long run, and the home will have more value. Plus no $15k new system down the road, and you'll be able to use real toilet paper and any laundry detergent.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Your cesspool ? Are you talking septic tank? If so as long as your drain field is still working properly.

Avoid any reliance on the city.  City sewer is available to me however I still have a septic tank, I don't have to pay city sewage fees. I repaired my drain field a few years back by installing a new one. Not a thing wrong with my tank. Most likely nothing wrong with yours either. If it ain't broke don't fix it.