Krnguy712

Penn Clash 4000

5 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon Tony,

My reel makes a consistent clicking noise while retrieving with a rig attached, but when the reel is free spinning (no rig) - the clicking noise stops.

This happened to me last night - I set the hook on a small striper (sub 10 inches) with the drag torqued mid way, attempted to retrieve - and the clicking started.

Is this something that can be fixed under warranty?

Thank you,

-krnguy712

Krnguy,

Do you hear it through-out the entire oscillation or only when the spool reached the highest and lowest point?  You may be hearing the crosswind-block (osc. gear) changing direction.

tony

Posted (edited)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply and concern (reopening the thread). I checked my receipts and my reel is not eligible for warranty (I don't know what came over me when I initially posted, as I knew the 1 year warranty period was over!), so I was going to send you a direct message with a video (instead of pursuing this thread).

The spool makes a clicking noise at the highest point, and I am sure it's not the crosswind-block changing direction (as the reel has always been relatively quiet until now).

I will try to upload a video soon, but it almost feels like something broke inside - but I opened it up, and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

I'll report back - thanks again!

-krnguy712

Edited by Krnguy712

Open the reel up and fill the "S" slot of the crosswind block with grease. That works most of the time and it's a simple fix.

crbshooter/Tony - thanks for your help and reply.

I used my Clash this past weekend, and it functions just fine (no more sound).

I am not sure what happened, but I cannot reproduce anymore, very odd.

I will reply to this thread if it occurs again (and I'll be sure to take video).

Thank you,

-krnguy712