Lagerhead

Waxing the boat

67 posts in this topic

It’s been so cold out. I still need to wax boat. Paint bottom yet. I wanted to be in on the 15 th. Not going to happen. Yesterday my water main broke. They want thousands of $$$. So I’m doing it my self with help. 61/2 deep found the leak.  So deep I needed a ladder to get out. This is the week I always start working on boat. I need help!!! Who wants to wax my boat? 

17C3DA27-DD1C-4B61-9DBD-81639CB25327.jpeg

6F4FD2AD-A980-4FA6-AC8F-EDA58A1DFC68.jpeg

Posted (edited)

44 mins ago, pakalolo said:

anyone use plain old Turtle Wax?

Use to use turtle wax for the car. It’s was one of the best and easiest to use. I try on my other boat and remember it would turn yellow. I’m not a detailed guy at all. 

Edited by Marty

10 hours ago, Marty said:

It’s been so cold out. I still need to wax boat. Paint bottom yet. I wanted to be in on the 15 th. Not going to happen. Yesterday my water main broke. They want thousands of $$$. So I’m doing it my self with help. 61/2 deep found the leak.  So deep I needed a ladder to get out. This is the week I always start working on boat. I need help!!! Who wants to wax my boat? 

17C3DA27-DD1C-4B61-9DBD-81639CB25327.jpeg

6F4FD2AD-A980-4FA6-AC8F-EDA58A1DFC68.jpeg

IF you have the girl in your avatar sit on it like the Pulpit in your Avatar you wouldn't have that problem 6 feet down 

My vote is the Mikita that Marty posted.

I have 4 of them in the shop. Haven't had any problems with them.

Good luck with your task. 

Real dumb question....,

Bottom paint is petit hydracoat blue eco. I was told not to power wash. I didn't get a chance to wash the hull and now has a coating of yellow gunk where it was in the water.

What kind of brush should I get to clean it?

Are you talking about the hull, above the painted waterline? Or the bottom paint?

If the unpainted hull, I use FSR, fiberglass stain remover. Gets the scum off the gelcoat. I prefer to cut 50/50 with water and spray on, rinse off.

If the bottom paint, wet it and scotch brite pad. Or power wash it.  I power wash my bottom paint mid season and at season's end. No issues.....

22 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Are you talking about the hull, above the painted waterline? Or the bottom paint?

If the unpainted hull, I use FSR, fiberglass stain remover. Gets the scum off the gelcoat. I prefer to cut 50/50 with water and spray on, rinse off.

If the bottom paint, wet it and scotch brite pad. Or power wash it.  I power wash my bottom paint mid season and at season's end. No issues.....

The hull is painted. Just the sides. It would take one hour. I will help. 

950EF16D-8CC8-4C6D-AB18-9379F0689A32.jpeg

I would wet it down and let it soak in until it gets soft. Then power wash it off lightly, so you don't take all the bottom coat off.

If you have some On /Off put it on the scum line above with a throw-a-way brush, wait a couple of min. and wash it off with a hose and it will be gone.

For the mater I would spray some below the line, and that will loosen the scum up. Then hit it with the power washer lightly.   When done it should look like that Parker up above. 

1 hour ago, ccb said:

I would wet it down and let it soak in until it gets soft. Then power wash it off lightly, so you don't take all the bottom coat off.

If you have some On /Off put it on the scum line above with a throw-a-way brush, wait a couple of min. and wash it off with a hose and it will be gone.

For the mater I would spray some below the line, and that will loosen the scum up. Then hit it with the power washer lightly.   When done it should look like that Parker up above. 

That’s how I do it. I do it as soon as I put it out. I don’t wait till spring to let all that scum dry hard as a rock. Power wash it as soon as you put it.  Learn that the hard way. 

The more years you do it, the smarter you get?     Learn the hard way by your mistakes?

2 hours ago, ccb said:

The more years you do it, the smarter you get?     Learn the hard way by your mistakes?

This may be the first year I don’t wax it. I think I can skip one season. The inside I can do on a warm spring day in the water. It’s so cold out and I want to put her in next week. It’s been a long winter. 

A663500D-CBED-4768-8B71-AD79C9597596.jpeg

22 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Real dumb question....,

Bottom paint is petit hydracoat blue eco. I was told not to power wash. I didn't get a chance to wash the hull and now has a coating of yellow gunk where it was in the water.

What kind of brush should I get to clean it?

Any kind of acid will do it.  I have a jug of (oxcallic?) from Homies paint isle that will last me a life time for the same cost as fsr.  Just paint it on with a chip brush, work the brush if you have growth and not just stain, then rinse with water.  Done.  Doesn't hurt/affect the gellcoat other than removing wax.