Lagerhead

Waxing the boat

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've got a Shurhold 3100 that's oscillating and variable speed, and I like it. I think the kit with a bag and some pads cost about $125 when I bought mine. West has it at $170 now. I just saw a place called Mechanic Surplus sells it (sans pads) for $82 on sale, 20% off regular.

Edited by patchyfog

On 3/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, Abab said:

Makita 9227c polisher and wool pad ,(expensive but worth the money )

+1.  The slow start (unit ramps up to speed slowly) is worth whatever extra you pay for this, and it's a tank.  I had a Porter Cable orbital, was very good and reliable but didn't have the extra oomph to get the more oxidized gelcoat off when necessary.

This weather is killing me. At least I got the back breaks done on my car Saturday.

I also have the cheap Harbor Freight buffer. Good enough for the boat, and is holding up OK.

Less the 30 bucks with a coupon. Agree with Stone, Collonite is the absolute best wax for the boat!

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

And for wax? Collonite fleet wax, makes water junk wash right off.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a detailing business on the side in-between working deck.  I was a huge believer in Collinites for the longest time.  Despite the fact that applying it correctly is a PIA.

8, maybe 10 years ago someone turned me on to Rejex.  Not so much a wax as a polymer.  For whatever that's worth, or whatever that means.  What I can tell you is that if you think Collinite's lasts, and stuff doesn't stick to it, then you are in for a real treat if you try Rejex.

Rejex lasts so long that the boat looked better and better with each spring application.  It really lasts that long. After one of the first years I used it, I went to pick up the boat (indoor storage at the time) and I kinda blew a gasket and went ape**** on the manager, I thought he had waxed the boat which, SOP for several years running at that point was a big no-no, no one but me details the Mako.   And it is soooo much easier to apply than Collinites.  Just make sure you go over the hull with a rag and acetone to get rid of any remaining wax before you apply it the first time.

I kid you not. 

Edited by makorider

Years ago I "did" my 26' Blackwatch with one of those poly finishes. What a BIG mistake. It was great for a few years, like putting nail polish on your boat. Smooth and shiny. When it started to break down and was time to remove it, it gave new meaning to the phrase PITA. It took forever, gallons of acetone and lots of elbow grease. I had first heard of it from friends that own a marina in Beaufort, NC. They were applying it to multi million dollar custom sport fishermen hulls. They have since stopped using it because of the above mentioned problems. Back to Collinite for me. 

Posted (edited)

34 mins ago, makorider said:

As I mentioned earlier, I had a detailing business on the side in-between working deck.  I was a huge believer in Collinites for the longest time.  Despite the fact that applying it correctly is a PIA.

8, maybe 10 years ago someone turned me on to Rejex.  Not so much a wax as a polymer.  For whatever that's worth, or whatever that means.  What I can tell you is that if you think Collinite's lasts, and stuff doesn't stick to it, then you are in for a real treat if you try Rejex.

Rejex lasts so long that the boat looked better and better with each spring application.  It really lasts that long. After one of the first years I used it, I went to pick up the boat (indoor storage at the time) and I kinda blew a gasket and went ape**** on the manager, I thought he had waxed the boat which, SOP for several years running at that point was a big no-no, no one but me details the Mako.   And it is soooo much easier to apply than Collinites.  Just make sure you go over the hull with a rag and acetone to get rid of any remaining wax before you apply it the first time.

I kid you not. 

I'm thinking of using that this year.

Edited by patchyfog

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, Cascade said:

Years ago I "did" my 26' Blackwatch with one of those poly finishes. What a BIG mistake. It was great for a few years, like putting nail polish on your boat. Smooth and shiny. When it started to break down and was time to remove it, it gave new meaning to the phrase PITA. It took forever, gallons of acetone and lots of elbow grease. I had first heard of it from friends that own a marina in Beaufort, NC. They were applying it to multi million dollar custom sport fishermen hulls. They have since stopped using it because of the above mentioned problems. Back to Collinite for me. 

Totally different products.

You are thinking of Polyglow, or the equivalent.  Not even close.  I walked away from a job in the day, owner had put that on and it was failing.  Messed around with a 2' square are, finally bagged it and told the guy good luck.

Yeah, putting that on your ride without fail turns into a cluster****

Edited by makorider

11 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I'm thinking of using that this year.

Do it..  You will never look back.  Like I said, spend a few minutes dewaxing.  Wash everything real good with a heavy concentration of dawn, then a quick wipe with acetone.

Yup. Rejex for me too. Going on nine years with it. Every spring I am amazed that the hull almost looks like it doesn't need anything. And it is wipe on wipe off. No need for a buffing machine as OP was asking about.... 

1 min ago, nightfighter said:

Yup. Rejex for me too. Going on nine years with it. Every spring I am amazed that the hull almost looks like it doesn't need anything. And it is wipe on wipe off. No need for a buffing machine as OP was asking about.... 

Best part is you can let it dry, then wipe off.

Ever try to get those clear swirl marks off if you let Collinite set up too long?  Buffer or no, you are screwed

24 mins ago, makorider said:

Do it..  You will never look back.  Like I said, spend a few minutes dewaxing.  Wash everything real good with a heavy concentration of dawn, then a quick wipe with acetone.

You're a detailer so your opinion matters to me. Why is it that you don't like RO polishers?

10 mins ago, patchyfog said:

You're a detailer so your opinion matters to me. Why is it that you don't like RO polishers?

Its a kids toy for a man's job...in a nutshell.  You are very limited in what you can do with it besides marginally buff out wax.

if you ever have to cut the hull to remove oxidation, you are not doing it with a RO.  If you ever want to polish, you are not doing it with an RO.

That aside, I do believe a high speed buffer gives you a completely different finish when buffing wax.  They seem to 'seal' the surface, for a lack of better wording, that a RO just doesn't and cant do.

And patchy, I'm reminded every spring that I'm an EX-detailer.  My arms tell me so lol.  Ah, the good old days....

1 hour ago, makorider said:

Best part is you can let it dry, then wipe off.

Ever try to get those clear swirl marks off if you let Collinite set up too long?  Buffer or no, you are screwed

egad, what a nightmare!