Lagerhead

Waxing the boat

79 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a power tool to wax my boat. Might use it for cleaning also.

Any suggestions? Thanks

High speed roatary.  I still have my skil from back when I used to detail; I had to fab a trigger among other things, if it were to die Harbor Freight has one for short money that I'd probably pick up given I only do my own stuff nowadays.

Some will tell you not to go high speed rotary because it will burn gellcoat and to get a random orbital.  Pure BS.  RO is a toy and useless.

I have one of the harbor freight variable speeds and have been using it for a few seasons now, its been good to me, no problems

1 hour ago, hp609 said:

I have one of the harbor freight variable speeds and have been using it for a few seasons now, its been good to me, no problems

I have the palm, works great.

90219 6 in. Compact Palm Polisher

6 In. Compact Palm Polisher

Item #90219

Only: $17.99 

9 hours ago, Joe said:

yep. too small

I had a big old for years and now that I'm older I love that little lite one.  It does a good job. its orbital .  I love it.  When one of my friends told me about it I said the same thing  to small.   I have two of them  One with a cleaning pad and the other with the buffing pad.  Just keep a clean pad on it. 

Its not that its too small...it is, but more importantly its an orbital.  You need speed to properly buff and seal.  You cant get that from an orbital.

I don't know how big your boats are. I used to do a 36' Egg myself.I can't imagine doing anything bigger than a dingy with a 6" wheel

I've benn happy with this tool for the last 7-8 years.  You would need to go to the chemical guys and get more foam pads.

pc2.JPG

I have a 13' 21'and 25'  I use collinite wax and cleaner. easy on and easy off.   I have the big buffer , but I don't use it anymore.  I can see a big buffer with a bigger boat.  I clean them every year so it doesn't oxidize.  just light dirt.