mikemontauk

Strange and Tragic Start To Spring

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Very sad indeed.  A young man in his prime.  His poor family.

Once I hit 70yo a few years back, I never fish alone be it surf, river, or ponds. How about a PFD?  Was one found on him? 

Edited by flyrodder44

This is truly truly sad.

Maybe something will change..

Years ago you were laughed at for wearing a bicycle helmet ..until present day, where just about everyone wears one and worries less about "cool".

Perhaps bike helmets and PFDs become staple on the jettis ... sure thinking about it now screams Googan, but it could have been a game changer for a 29 year old young man.

My condolences to his family

Helmet yes and no.

To me is more about not being alone while fishing on spots like those.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

This is truly truly sad.

Maybe something will change..

Years ago you were laughed at for wearing a bicycle helmet ..until present day, where just about everyone wears one and worries less about "cool".

Perhaps bike helmets and PFDs become staple on the jettis ... sure thinking about it now screams Googan, but it could have been a game changer for a 29 year old young man.

My condolences to his family

Yes because some guy goes fishing up front at Montauk in March alone in rough conditions and somehow dies ,all fisherman should now be required to wear helmets?I'd wait to see the toxicology report if there is one not sure what this guy was doing out there.Ive fallen off jetty's,Montauk Rocks and most of the time it was because I wasn't paying attention or underestimated the size of a wave.But come on helmets on the jetty?The Jetty's and Montauk are dangerous places and most people take to many chances for no reason .There's a reason I don't fish the Lighthouse it's not worth it it's to scary at night at the bottom with 7 ft waves crashing ,I don't care how big the fish are I'm not fishing it.Nobody even knows how this guy died yet,It's only speculation that he hit his head..

Edited by IslandSurf

Posted (edited)

I am sure that most of us had our share of stupid (and very dangerous)  things we did in our youth or younger days.

Also, I am sure that we all have a friend or two who were not so lucky doing things we did..

Edited by Popasilov

11 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Yes because some guy goes fishing up front at Montauk in March alone in rough conditions and somehow dies ,all fisherman should now be required to wear helmets?I'd wait to see the toxicology report if there is one not sure what this guy was doing out there.Ive fallen off jetty's,Montauk Rocks and most of the time it was because I wasn't paying attention or underestimated the size of a wave.But come on helmets on the jetty?The Jetty's and Montauk are dangerous places and most people take to many chances for no reason .There's a reason I don't fish the Lighthouse it's not worth it it's to scary at night at the bottom with 7 ft waves crashing ,I don't care how big the fish are I'm not fishing it.Nobody even knows how this guy died yet,It's only speculation that he hit his head..

No one ever wrote the word "required". 

At any age rocks, jetties and inlets should never be fished alone. This story is a sad reminder of how dangerous it can be out there. My condolences to his family.