Chrome Crazy Vol. 2

Rate this topic

outtasight

1 hour ago, fishjunkie64 said:

So, after buying all the goodies to start the process what would say it costs per plug? Not counting the initial setup costs.

I think I can get it down to about $10 per if I bought some more equipment. Lot's of waste involved along with a major learning curve. I wasted a lot of material figuring this out and like I mentioned above the clear coat step has it's own learning curve to it. Cannot be sprayed in anything but a paint booth with proper ventilation. 

1 hour ago, mike3dr said:

Can you share the process, and materials, or is this a state secret?

No secret, just google hydrochrome and tons of info will come up. Mainly people chroming cars, bikes and toilets. I've been tempted to turn my toilet into gold lol. I think I am the first to chrome a wooden lure..... Is there something specific your looking to find out?

2 mins ago, mike3dr said:

No just curious, I think its very cool though.

Thanks. The videos show the meat of the process. There are a few parameters that need to be followed but unless someone is interested in picking up a kit I'd rather not dive into that right now. 

On 3/29/2018 at 1:11 AM, outtasight said:

Finally found time to start a new batch of chromes! Sorry to those of you who were waiting for me to get this started, it's been a busy few weeks and I really needed to dedicate some room in the house to the project. Real excited to get this started! Should be a bad ass finish on some fishy lures!

I started with these. Sealed them with spar urethane and epoxied the grommets belly weights and lips. Used MinWax wood filler to get the get the belly weight holes flush and smooth. 

P3241303.JPG

You left out the part that says there saltys kits

SW

2 hours ago, outtasight said:

I said that in my last thread. Please stop commenting in my threads if you have nothing to contribute. 

Wonder how well they will hold up to bluefish....and bluetape

Edited by IslandSurf

SW

I think your referring to the adhesion issues I had with my first batch which is why I plan on epoxying these. I should assume no less from you but I'm not sure why you feel the need to post in my threads picking at my work when I'm simply showing a cool tech......... I'm sorry guys but I don't need to be trolled by Islandsurf every time I start a thread in this forum so I'm going to lock this up so to keep these comments to a minimum. If anyone wants to make the leap and try spray chrome pm me and I'd be glad to help and share.

Here is an example of the adhesion issues I had with my first batch. They were done over the original finish and didn't bond very well or there was a temperature related issue, still not sure. Some bonded better than others. I plan on epoxying these wooden lures just to be safe.

P4020750.JPG