Chrome Crazy Vol. 2

Rate this topic

outtasight

Finally found time to start a new batch of chromes! Sorry to those of you who were waiting for me to get this started, it's been a busy few weeks and I really needed to dedicate some room in the house to the project. Real excited to get this started! Should be a bad ass finish on some fishy lures!

I started with these. Sealed them with spar urethane and epoxied the grommets belly weights and lips. Used MinWax wood filler to get the get the belly weight holes flush and smooth. 

P3241303.JPG

Sanded them all down with 1500 grit paper. Trying to get them as smooth as possible. Then primed and painted black. I waited over a week for this 'Super High Gloss' black but it's anything but gloss!:mad: The next step is the base coat and that has to lay on as smooth as possible. 

P3281308.JPG

Edited by outtasight

Now the first step in the chroming process, base coating. Most/all of these companies use some sort of 2k clear coat as their base, which lays on glossy smooth and allows for the following step to dig it's teeth into. Wood does not lend itself well to this process. Any imperfections will be magnified once chromed so the wood adds a extra level of difficulty compared to a perfect plastic lure. I chose to sand out any imperfections best I could and see how everything looked when done before I spent the time hitting them all with filler and having to sand that...... Spraying this clear seems to be an art in itself! I went through almost all of the base/top coat that came in my kit when I was first playing around with it a couple weeks ago. First I tried the preval bottles but they spray unevenly along with high spots and drips. Now I'm using a small 4oz hplv gun and it works great, atomizes the clear well and lays thin even coats but the amount of over spray loss is getting expensive. I'm gonna have to look for a cheap 1mm-1.2mm airbrush if I continue with the chroming because it's not cheap. I also had a problem with the over spray in my make shyft paint booth. The atomized clear would dry in the air and land on the lure ruining the finish, created little dots. This gun really puts out a lot of material. So I picked up a big booster fan off OffUp (I really love that app) for $20 and suck the vapor through a hvac filter and blow it out a window. Worked well this time. 

These need a good 36-48hrs to dry/cure before I can go ahead chroming. Time to scour the local CVS's for deionized water!

P3281337.JPG

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

Would that clear be good for a clear over waterbased paints?

I have used it over createx paints with no issues. Did a repainted SS in this batch will post pics when all dry.

16 mins ago, mmanolis said:

Chemistry or Black Magic?

That is way cool. Thanks for sharing the process. I was watching and patiently waiting for the chrome and boom It appears.

:) Haha yea all the magic happens at the end. The lead up is boring, some cool music is surely needed. Thanks for checking it out!

Just when you thought you were done w/the interweb, something interesting comes along !!  Very cool process..... Does this process effect the swivel at all ??  I've never caught on chrome, but this is pretty dang cool...Thanks for posting !!

2 hours ago, Atthebeach said:

So is this some sort of reaction to the mixture of applications? It's pretty amazing.

It's the same technique mirrors are done with. The chemical process etches microscopic pores into the base coat then those pores get filled in with the silver leaving that mirror chrome finish.

1 hour ago, Mandoborg said:

Just when you thought you were done w/the interweb, something interesting comes along !!  Very cool process..... Does this process effect the swivel at all ??  I've never caught on chrome, but this is pretty dang cool...Thanks for posting !!

Doesn't affect the integrity of the swivel at all..... You never caught on chrome cause you've never had one of these! :)  I can't wait to fish these pencils.

• outtasight locked, unlocked and locked this topic