New Guy Intro

Rate this topic

Nick F

Hello everyone - I figured since I have been creeping on this forum for quite some time admiring all of your work and soaking up all sorts of lure building knowledge, I should put myself out there and get more involved. I started turning this January and have had one hell of a busy winter in my basement! I bought all of my equipment second hand (lathe, band saw, drill press) and had a 30 gallon compressor that I paired up with a cheapo Master Airbrush. Here are a few samples of some of the lures I have made over the past few months, all are fully sealed inside and out and epoxied. Constructive criticism is encouraged! Thanks again to all of the contributors in this forum, and @NorCal for some pointers to get me started... so much talent on here it’s insane! 

4 - 2.5oz. Maple Needles, moderate-fast sink 

77F492C1-BAB2-41AD-97D9-66D61158883E.thumb.jpeg.cfcb20f1a23a9ae421c8e1db5ac87c84.jpeg

4 Basswood pencils and one AYC spook

728E6A9A-9595-4385-B5F3-983802C630E2.thumb.jpeg.31a09655b313d32fd8122923c2c24d60.jpeg

2 - 3oz Danny’s, 1.5oz  Conrad Jr., 1.75oz Pikie (all AYC)

F22F889A-435D-46C1-957F-4F96A3423777.thumb.jpeg.dedc3a604e6dc91e0f890a8cabe1d631.jpeg

3 maple slow sinking needles ranging from 1-2oz (the bottom little pink/white swims awesome)

AD1A0418-00F4-40A6-830D-598C04928366.thumb.jpeg.7c8a6e5935cdab23f2f7796d13bd2114.jpeg

Forgot to post this one, gifted to a friend and I’m already kicking myself for it. 2.5oz Maple

4BE9ED5E-54E1-4464-9E42-F90F5034B447.thumb.jpeg.5ee7c6ab2c590e71682af6e11974e707.jpeg

Edited by Nick F

10 hours ago, OnTheFish said:

All of them look good I say your are started of on the right foot

Thanks, appreciate it!

10 hours ago, Jonesy02719 said:

Yeah buddy!  Can’t wait till this weather warms up so you can test some of these!

@jonesy02719 Me too, and looking forward to you hooking up on a nice spring gator on that pencil I gave you!

Nice work Nick F! How do you like turning basswood? I've never turned it and might get into it. I love turning white pine and soft maple.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

14 mins ago, lonellr said:

Nice work Nick F! How do you like turning basswood? I've never turned it and might get into it. I love turning white pine and soft maple.

Thanks man, definitely a work in progress. It's relatively soft and easy to work with, especially after only having hard maple for the first few weeks! My only issue with it is the amount of lead needed to make the lure throw-able, even turning something large. I think I follow you on IG, you do some great work! @lonellr

13 mins ago, Nick F said:

Thanks man, definitely a work in progress. It's relatively soft and easy to work with, especially after only having hard maple for the first few weeks! My only issue with it is the amount of lead needed to make the lure throw-able, even turning something large. I think I follow you on IG, you do some great work! @lonellr

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try. I don't like having to put too many holes in a plug and filling it with lead though. hmmm, maybe I'll stick with what I know and love! What's your instagram handle?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

22 mins ago, lonellr said:

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try. I don't like having to put too many holes in a plug and filling it with lead though. hmmm, maybe I'll stick with what I know and love! What's your instagram handle?

I have cut about 200' of downed white pine in my yard over the last month, drive a flat bed up this way and you'll have wood for your grand-kids to turn :howdy: My IG is nicholasjforcier

16 mins ago, Nick F said:

I have cut about 200' of downed white pine in my yard over the last month, drive a flat bed up this way and you'll have wood for your grand-kids to turn :howdy: My IG is nicholasjforcier

That's awesome! I have alot on hand, but thanks!! Yeah, there's a ton of trees that got blown down here as well.

-Doug Larson

very cool man! They are looking good already! Just wait, it's really cool to see like 6 months from now you will have plugs you are making and you'll look back and see how far you have come. It's 100% learning all the way! You will have that regret feeling all the time man trust me. I have given away so many plugs that I thought 'dang that would look good in my bag....' hahahaha

Be careful with the pikies..... they are addicting and fun to make!

13 mins ago, Kphresh said:

very cool man! They are looking good already! Just wait, it's really cool to see like 6 months from now you will have plugs you are making and you'll look back and see how far you have come. It's 100% learning all the way! You will have that regret feeling all the time man trust me. I have given away so many plugs that I thought 'dang that would look good in my bag....' hahahaha

Be careful with the pikies..... they are addicting and fun to make!

Thanks man. Ya I couldn't believe that I gave away my favorite until I realized how pumped he's going to be to catch with it, which is just as fun. The pikie was definitely my favorite, although nerve wracking when just the slightest slip and all that work would have gone to junk. To be honest I had zero clue what I was doing with the pikie since I don't even own one, just went off of what I have seen. 

Those all look great, paint job wise. There's something about the tail loop--I haven't figured those out yet myself to be honest--but if you bend them one way before making the loop going the opposite direction, you can get more a loop centered on the throughwire. They say it's good to have the round nose pliers. I never got those but maybe will. Still have problems making pleasing tail loops. 

The other thing most important is how do they swim?