Best, juciest, flavorful ham?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

looking to purchase a ham for a nice Easter dinner w/ good friends. I’ll use SIM Steve’s mustard/horseradish & pineapple glaze & technique,

what should I be looking for in a great ham? Shank, butt, fresh? Brand???

Def don’t want spiral.

Thanks!

JD

Jim - All the cheaper hams are about the same. There are things like Cook's, Sugardale, Smithfield, Hormel, and some that are just store name. I really haven't found a difference in any of them, although every once in awhile you just get the short end of the straw and get one that is a bit too salty. But I couldn't pinpoint which brand has more a tendency to that than another, as I have never really kept track.

For ham, I a not willing to go the next step up and pay a dollar+ more a pound as I can't see the difference being worth is.

As to fresh or smoked/cooked, a fresh ham is a totally different thing, is like a very big pork shoulder picnic that I usually make a Pork Pernil out of, or would braise with sauerkraut. The "fresh ham" you see in the markets at Easter are the upper half of the pig's hind leg, whereas a pork shoulder picnic is the same cut, but from the front leg.

Butt or Shank - Butt is a bit easier to carve and doesn't have the tendons and sinew you will find in the lower (ankl)e section of the shank. And that is reflected in the price, but it is usually only 10 cents a pound more expensive.

Most important thing is to cook it low and slow at first, and keep it moist. Not sure if Alton has it in his recipe, butt before I cover it for the initial slow cook, I pour about a quarter inch of water in the roasting pan so it heats up in a humid environment.

As too the spirals, sorry, ya ain't selling me......you just can''t cook them long enough to impart the flavors you are adding without drying out the meat. So if you like plain old ham, go for it, but if I want that, I have them slice it from the deli case...... ;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

14 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I like spirals and the only dry ones were when they were cooked too long. Follow instructions and I love it fresh and for sandwiches the next few days. 

This might be true.  I have only baked 2.  They both were a bit dry but the second one in a good way.  Was perfect for ham and biscuits for about 20.  I may have read the directions the second time.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

52 mins ago, JaseB said:

The best, most flavorful ham isn't juicy at all.......

Yeah, well, that would be prosciutto or perhaps a dried/cured Virginia ham, but that is a different story.......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

6 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Yeah, well, that would be prosciutto or perhaps a dried/cured Virginia ham, but that is a different story.......

Might be more proud of these than my kids.

2016Ham.jpg

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

Yeah, I think I saw that post elsewhere on SOL, and great job :th:, I am jealous.........

SOL Member #174

I’m not sure how applicable to cured / smoked ham this is, but I’ve heard from butchers that bone-in adds flavor. 

That being said, I think it might be worth the added work to carve, to get a shank-in ham.

I wont carve it too close to the bone & save it for making ham & bean soup.

Whaddaya think? Sound like a good idea?

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I’m not sure how applicable to cured / smoked ham this is, but I’ve heard from butchers that bone-in adds flavor. 

That being said, I think it might be worth the added work to carve, to get a shank-in ham.

I wont carve it too close to the bone & save it for making ham & bean soup.

Whaddaya think? Sound like a good idea?

JD

You are correct.   Meats cooked with bones in them will have more flavor due to the collagen that seeps out (the stuff that people want when they make a bone broth or stock).   I always save my ham bones for a pot of pinto bone soup.     If you have not tried brining your dried beans, well, you pretty much have to.  It's a huge game changer.

Once you are done with eating the ham, toss it in a stock pot along with a quartered yellow onion or two (not peeled), couple of stalks of celery and carrots, thyme and parsley, about 10 whole black peppercorns and a bay leaf.  Cover and simmer for 4-8 hours.  Strain and cool overnight.   Meanwhile, mix 4 quarts water with 3 T of kosher salt and mix well to dissolve.  you can add onion or garlic powder if you want, but not necessary.  Cover and let this sit about 8 hours overnight. 

The next morning drain and rinse the beans, chop up a couple of onions and sauté in a little oil, any ham bits or trim you might have.  Add the beans and the ham stock, bay leaf, ground pepper and cook, adjusting seasoning until the beans are firm but tender.  Depending on how salty the ham is, you may not have to add any or a lot.   You can feed your family for 2 days on what was scraps and about $3 worth of ingredients.

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Also thinking of injecting it w/ pineapple / mustard mixture for added moisture & flavor stauration.

Your thoughts / expereinces?

Blasphemy.

13 hours ago, jjdbike said:

OH MY GOODNESS!

Please repost!!

JD

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

You can feed your family for 2 days on what was scraps and about $3 worth of ingredients.

Sounds awesome!!!

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

Blasphemy.

Why is my injection blastphmy? I want it to be moist / juicy & infuse / saturate w/ more flavor.

JD