ged

Sebastian Inlet - Jetty Gear

25 posts in this topic

Headed back to Florida in April. Cashed in some free hotel nights and plan to fish Sebastian Inlet. I have fished Ponce Inlet a few times and found that my normal Inlet (CCC) gear was overkill for Florida. 

I have a few questions:

- What is the target species in Mid-April? (Hoping for redfish)

- What is the “normal” gear for this place?

Thank you

Gary

Lot of guys fish that inlet and use a lot of different setups....I've seen all kinds of crazy and wild stuff out there, you name it LoL. In my case, I like a light rod/reel combo with some length (8 feet) for casting and backbone for steering the fish in. I use the Stellar Lite medium/heavy spinning rod. Was just there a few days ago and got into some giant blues, big jacks, huge reds...and the setup worked fantastic! Granted, I use a Stella 6000 on most of my casting rods. Not saying to go out and get one of them but at 13 ounces, suits me very well becasue I can cast ALL day and ALL night with the thing. I run 30lb PP Super Slick on it. Early AM is great out there. Gets very crowded on weekends. Best bet is weekdays or at best dawn. Watch the tides. There's almost a 3 hour delay with the ocean tide. That way, you can work around the tidal events to get the best out of the inlet. Heats up during tide changes, especially during the bait flush. I like the south jetty, less popular but I usually catch a load of fish off of it, including a ton of sharks when I'm targeting them. Good luck to ya!

Excellent feedback.

Unfortunately I am working near Daytona a few days and then near Sarasota Thursday so that leaves me Fri-Sun to fish. I will be among the crowd, but with no kids on this trip I can fish early, late, whatever. 

That's okay. Even on weekends, the south jetty isn't elbow to elbow like the north jetty....the end may be kinda cramped up during the daytime but I got there at the crack of dawn on a Saturday, for example, and there were only 3 people fishing it....and we all caught a LOT of fish. I've always managed to do just fine regardless. Sometimes the fish are in the least expected place away from everyone.....just gotta get 'em quickly becasue if ya start catching them, everyone and their mother will be casting around you real soon LoL.

My go to stick for all around use is my 6K Stella on a 1087 fsc. Still some reds around but April isn't a particularly good month for them. Usually snook is good, jacks, macks, ladyfish, and blues. Pm me a few days prior if you want and will lead you in right direction since I spend about 300 days a year there

ill be there next week as well, my first time, very excited. what are some good lures to use there? i was thinking of bucktailing the bottom, let the jig drift with the current along bottom. also tossing swimming plugs and topwaters.  is there a certain size lure thats to big? i have alot of gear im bringing from 1/2 ounce jig head plastic shrimps to 5 ounce bucktails and 9 inch pencil poppers and everything in between.

Posted (edited)

Bass, read as many of the local threads as you can about pier fishing at Sebastian Inlet, there’s tons of them. Favorites are Gotcha’s, DOA 3-4” shrimp in Glow and Cal’s in root beer and chartreuse tipped tail, MirroLure  Mirrodines in Cracked Glass and Top Water Dogs in Chartreuse, Paul Browns Soft Dine and Fat Boy in Red Head, Spro 3/4 oz bucktails tipped with Fat Cow strips, Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers. Stay off the North Pier if you’ve never fished a pier combat fishing style (i.e. shoulder to shoulder) like you’ll find on most weekends. It’s no fun, frustrating as hell, and can be a no end to line tangled with others who’ll not hesitate to cut your line as look at you if your a newbie and don’t know the unwritten “pier etiquette and courtesy to others” that the regulars expect fom everyone fishing the pier. If you do, at least go up without your gear and talk to as many folks who look like they’re regulars to get the “rules of the road” from the horses mouth so to speak. As early in the morning as possible before it gets nuts up there especially so you don’t create any interference while they’re really focused on their fishing. You’ll earn much more respect and get much more help if you do!!! Fishing from the southside of the Jetti, from the beach, wading, towards the inlet rocks can be very productive also and probably alot more fun as well. Save the Pier fishing for early in the morning and after dark if you can. Best of luck!

Edited by Swimbaiter

Thank you for your feedback. 

I guess the redfish may be North? I will be in Daytona for a few days and I may try Ponce Inlet a few days as well. The last weekend I am off and staying in Cocoa beach, so I thought Sebastian would be a good choice. 

I used a blackhole suzuki 10’ last trip and it worked out well for sea trout. I was thinking I would need to bring a rod with a higher lure rating for Sebastian, but this rod handles 2oz and if I am throwing DOA on small jigs this would be my choice. 

We we need to start some North/South Inlet trip swap. I fish the cape cod canal a lot, and would be happy to reciprocate. 

On 3/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, Swimbaiter said:

Bass, read as many of the local threads as you can about pier fishing at Sebastian Inlet, there’s tons of them. Favorites are Gotcha’s, DOA 3-4” shrimp in Glow and Cal’s in root beer and chartreuse tipped tail, MirroLure  Mirrodines in Cracked Glass and Top Water Dogs in Chartreuse, Paul Browns Soft Dine and Fat Boy in Red Head, Spro 3/4 oz bucktails tipped with Fat Cow strips, Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers. Stay off the North Pier if you’ve never fished a pier combat fishing style (i.e. shoulder to shoulder) like you’ll find on most weekends. It’s no fun, frustrating as hell, and can be a no end to line tangled with others who’ll not hesitate to cut your line as look at you if your a newbie and don’t know the unwritten “pier etiquette and courtesy to others” that the regulars expect fom everyone fishing the pier. If you do, at least go up without your gear and talk to as many folks who look like they’re regulars to get the “rules of the road” from the horses mouth so to speak. As early in the morning as possible before it gets nuts up there especially so you don’t create any interference while they’re really focused on their fishing. You’ll earn much more respect and get much more help if you do!!! Fishing from the southside of the Jetti, from the beach, wading, towards the inlet rocks can be very productive also and probably alot more fun as well. Save the Pier fishing for early in the morning and after dark if you can. Best of luck!

Alot of bad information in here. Has only been busy on the weekends lately and North Jetty has been the most productive spot. Locals don't just go around cutting people's lines unless the is a fish on and a tangle prevents the ability to fight the fish

7 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Alot of bad information in here. Has only been busy on the weekends lately and North Jetty has been the most productive spot. Locals don't just go around cutting people's lines unless the is a fish on and a tangle prevents the ability to fight the fish

Sorry you feel that way. You probably haven’t been there on the kind of days I’ve described! Heavy fishing pressure is unpredictable. Combat fishing is just that, shoulder to shoulder fishing with the next guy. Learning how to cast around this concentration of people can be scary and dangerous. The message I’m trying to convey is no different than any other popular fishing venue, know what your doing before you get into the fishing mix because when the fishing gets hot is not really the best time to ask for help especially after you’ve got the people around you mad because you’ve done something you shouldn’t have. Perhaps the expression about line cutting was taken too literally but when the regulars get tangled with an angler unnecessarily, and with someone who quite obviously doesn’t know what he’s doing and the fish he has on feels like it could be a PB, then yeah, people tend to get a bit nuts and can lose some self control. I’ve seen it done, unfortunately. You sound like you’re one of the exception like I believe I am, I wish there were more like us up there but I don’t believe there are.

3 hours ago, Swimbaiter said:

Sorry you feel that way. You probably haven’t been there on the kind of days I’ve described! Heavy fishing pressure is unpredictable. Combat fishing is just that, shoulder to shoulder fishing with the next guy. Learning how to cast around this concentration of people can be scary and dangerous. The message I’m trying to convey is no different than any other popular fishing venue, know what your doing before you get into the fishing mix because when the fishing gets hot is not really the best time to ask for help especially after you’ve got the people around you mad because you’ve done something you shouldn’t have. Perhaps the expression about line cutting was taken too literally but when the regulars get tangled with an angler unnecessarily, and with someone who quite obviously doesn’t know what he’s doing and the fish he has on feels like it could be a PB, then yeah, people tend to get a bit nuts and can lose some self control. I’ve seen it done, unfortunately. You sound like you’re one of the exception like I believe I am, I wish there were more like us up there but I don’t believe there are.

I commented because there isn't anyone of this forum who has anywhere near the time in there that I do, and I fish the heavily pressured areas most of the time. Commercial fish there for work so been there the last three weeks straight and know 99% of any regulars there. The lure list you mentioned aren't very common next to the gotcha, doa, and grub although can be effective at times. Most are wrong time of year. I reached out to GED and offered to show him around to lessen the learning curve.

What you were saying is not the standard conduct and the ignorance is isolated cases. Weekends are a problem because most are casual fishermen from out of town or hardcore locals with only the weekend off, so the majority are inexperienced and it's the blind leading the blind. 

I would say atleast half or more of the regulars are very helpful. Some very good people out there and some bad, but we all get along and work together. We don't want tangles and it is easier to try and educate then to deal with the aftermath. All about the attitude you come in with, but if you politely ask for help you will get it. Sit back and watch, and you will learn. Biggest problem is people that don't pay attention and come off as defensive, they get no help at all. 

i haven't fished Sebastian in a while,maybe 7 years ago, but i did spend quite a few springs down there and lived there in the mid 80's for a while. gotta say its one of my favorite places to fish.you can have a guy next to fishing tuna gear and a guy on the other side with light gear.i found that just about everybody i met were helpful and freindly,actually many of the so called locals were former Long Islanders who had come down to kingfish in the late 60's.most of my fishing was done at night so crowds weren' much of an issue,and when i fished during the day it was in the backbay.for me i did very well using red headed mambo minnows or chartuese bombers both jointed and none jointed.live bait seemed to be the locals choice,but many times i outfished live bait with lures.not sure if Honest Johns fish camp is still in business,but that might be a fun way to spend a day if the piers are crowded.

On the flight home. Sebastian was better than I expected. 

I found the locals (thanks Denny) friendly and helpful. I spent most of my limited time observing the different techniques. It was time well spent  and I will be better prepared for my next visit. As stated above, many different approaches for this Inlet. 

I am a canal rat. I don’t have much experience on bridges or piers. This was a nice change of pace, and if I moved to Florida, it would be within an hour of this place. 

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

I have always found the locals to be friendly and a joy to fish along side myself.

I haven't had the opportunity to fish Sebastian yet, but the one set-up I always make sure to have with me when traveling down in Florida fishing off of piers is a 9ft MH Tackle Industries 2-piece (perfect carry on travel rod with out going to a 3-piece) with a Komodo 471SS on it. It handles bigger X-raps, SP minnows, large cast masters, bottom fishing, and live lining duties perfectly. I wouldn't be caught in Florida without it.

i got out there for my first time as well. used to fishing the canal with 5 ounce jigs and heavy current. that inlet is different. we got into a blitz of lady fish. i didnt land any, we didnt have a bridge net. it was a bait game when we went the first week of april.  next year ill be prepared