dannpakk

Any luck out there

29 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, kurazy kracka said:

you probably won't find many guys openly posting and talking about a striper bite right now

:howdy:

On 3/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, dannpakk said:

Agreed, trying to open that up and flip that around. Its always been super quiet on this side of the forums :worms:. Odd how fishing has become such a secrecy, but most fishermen are just trying to have a good time (I just hope to knowledge share and produce more responsible fishermen). 

Fishing hasn't "become such a secrecy".   For time immemorial it was closely guarded by astute anglers (and whalers) and selectively passed along to those with the desire to earn and learn the knowledge.  A rudimentary understanding of the seasons is sufficient enough for those willing to dedicate time and effort.  A farmer knows when it's time to plant and harvest; our waters are no different in the cyclical nature of species.   I see many rich in resources but poor in passion pursuing the sport for a trophy picture to post on social media.  I realizes there are many others who argue they simply do not have the time with life's obligations; perfectly acceptable to leisurely pursue the past time but this often manifests in the modern report chasing to achieve instant gratification .   

I agree that most fisherman are just trying to have a good time but enjoyment is defined differently.  I enjoy finding the fish on my own and try to learn from failures as much as successes.  With the proliferation of technology curve is shortened for the casual angler and often at the detriment of the targeted species.  I would submit that fishing has become far less secretive base on empirical evidence; simply peruse Youtube, Facebook, nearly all Tackle Shops sites and the numerous other forums and you will find plenty status reports.

One of the reasons many of us have preferred to contribute to this site is because of the espoused policy of "no spot burning".  We also recognize that anyone with a smartphone can view this forum which adds to why the practice is frowned upon.  With land based fishing limited on the bay,  broadly defined locations or photos showing identifiable landmarks are tantamount to buring the spot.   I will not judge others for their actions provided they are within the purview of the law; I would also expect that those who choose to remain quiet are not admonished for quietly pursuing the enjoyment of the sport without the need for accolodes.

9 mins ago, AtTheBar said:

Fishing hasn't "become such a secrecy".   For time immemorial it was closely guarded by astute anglers (and whalers) and selectively passed along to those with the desire to earn and learn the knowledge.  A rudimentary understanding of the seasons is sufficient enough for those willing to dedicate time and effort.  A farmer knows when it's time to plant and harvest; our waters are no different in the cyclical nature of species.   I see many rich in resources but poor in passion pursuing the sport for a trophy picture to post on social media.  I realizes there are many others who argue they simply do not have the time with life's obligations; perfectly acceptable to leisurely pursue the past time but this often manifests in the modern report chasing to achieve instant gratification .   

I agree that most fisherman are just trying to have a good time but enjoyment is defined differently.  I enjoy finding the fish on my own and try to learn from failures as much as successes.  With the proliferation of technology curve is shortened for the casual angler and often at the detriment of the targeted species.  I would submit that fishing has become far less secretive base on empirical evidence; simply peruse Youtube, Facebook, nearly all Tackle Shops sites and the numerous other forums and you will find plenty status reports.

One of the reasons many of us have preferred to contribute to this site is because of the espoused policy of "no spot burning".  We also recognize that anyone with a smartphone can view this forum which adds to why the practice is frowned upon.  With land based fishing limited on the bay,  broadly defined locations or photos showing identifiable landmarks are tantamount to buring the spot.   I will not judge others for their actions provided they are within the purview of the law; I would also expect that those who choose to remain quiet are not admonished for quietly pursuing the enjoyment of the sport without the need for accolodes.

I fully agree and retract what I said. Farmers know when its time to plant and harvest--this quote is so spot on! I generally get on the fish, but would definitely like to know if others are doing better or worse in certain area (especially with others on the forums, but do understand this is public information). Going to in-person seminars and getting line in the waters has provided me the most effective knowledge. 

I appreciate you providing a much deeper insight to a young line like myself :D 

5 hours ago, AtTheBar said:

Damn Socrates look at you 

30 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

Damn Socrates look at you 

Hope your doing well bud. This weekends looks great for a BBQ or ......

Figures the warm up happens just as I head to southern waters next week.

3 hours ago, AtTheBar said:

Hope your doing well bud. This weekends looks great for a BBQ or ......

Figures the warm up happens just as I head to southern waters next week.

I won't be around most of the weekend myself, heading to Savannah Saturday to scoop up a sick deal on a hobie outback. 

Ive been out this week and it's not quite ready for bbq'ing yet.  

59 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

I won't be around most of the weekend myself, heading to Savannah Saturday to scoop up a sick deal on a hobie outback. 

Ive been out this week and it's not quite ready for bbq'ing yet.  

Enjoy the new toy and the access it will open up for you. 

I am heading for Tuna and maybe a billfish in the DR.  

12 hours ago, AtTheBar said:

:th:

I areas that may be known shore fishing locations, the issue isn't so much of a spot burn as it is a "bite burn".

Where I live, facebook bite chasers have become a real issue when it comes to many shore locations. The way many of these bite chasers carry themselves increases the chances that certain locations may get the access shut down. One location, along some Norfolk Southern rails, that I have been fishing for a number of years would rarely have more then two or three vehicles parked along the section of tracks at one time; usually just me and my buddies, occasionally someone else. With the advent of fish brain and the start of facebook fishing pages, things have quickly turned into a mess. It only took one casual angler to post picks of a 12in smallmouth and claim there was a hot bite at that spot for the access road along those train tracks to turn into a parking lot. At one point during an afternoon last summer I counted 20+ vehicles. Guys were parking in the middle of the access road and all along the tracks; didn't take long for the railroad police to take notice and start kicking everyone out.

Before burning bites became a fad, me and a couple of my buddies were the only people fishing that location on the regular and there was never any issues. It sucks.

8 hours ago, AtTheBar said:

Enjoy the new toy and the access it will open up for you. 

I am heading for Tuna and maybe a billfish in the DR.  

damnnnnn down in the DR, fancy! enjoy that trip.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:52 PM, dannpakk said:

I fully agree and retract what I said. Farmers know when its time to plant and harvest--this quote is so spot on! I generally get on the fish, but would definitely like to know if others are doing better or worse in certain area (especially with others on the forums, but do understand this is public information). Going to in-person seminars and getting line in the waters has provided me the most effective knowledge. 

I appreciate you providing a much deeper insight to a young line like myself :D 

Phenology for the win.  

Tight lines to you this spring and for many more to come. 

You may already know about this but I thought I’d mention that the DNR has a weekly report that gives good insight and reports for different areas of the Chesapeake and it’s tributaries. The link shouldn’t get blocked since it’s a govy site and not commercial, but if it does just google Maryland DNR fishing report. 

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2018/04/11/weekly-fishing-report-april-11/

3 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

You may already know about this but I thought I’d mention that the DNR has a weekly report that gives good insight and reports for different areas of the Chesapeake and it’s tributaries. The link shouldn’t get blocked since it’s a govy site and not commercial, but if it does just google Maryland DNR fishing report. 

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2018/04/11/weekly-fishing-report-april-11/

I find this report to be dry as it's a weekly distribution. I have email distributions and phone calls I could make for fishing reports, but wanted to exchange info with the SOL community :eek: . Potentially providing me more insider information to those further away from me (vice versa)

Plugged the flats off Beverly Triton on Wednesday afternoon but they were devoid of stripers, at least within range of this shore-based angler.  The tidal pond produced white perch, though.

yak'd on the flats this past weekend. Marking some big ones but nothing hit. Water were right under 50 degrees

Going to try my luck in DE this weekend