NJSpinfisher

Rare earth magnets

6 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I just purchased a second hand ABU 6500 mag elite -- upon breaking down the reel for cleaning and inspection I noticed that there were only two magnets (out of seven slots) on the magnet carrier.  Does anyone know where I can pick up an bunch of these magnets, should I need more?   

I'm hoping my local B&T store has them if the reel is too hot. Also when you install the magnets is there  a specific order that you need along the carrier (+ - + etc.)

Thanks for your input.

See 

It's from Neil Mackellow, once a long distance world champ. You might also try Lee Valley if your looking to buy & can get the specs off the magnets in yr Abu ... 

On a Penn 525 its + - + -. The mag elite is a great reel, I would fill the entire carrier to get the most adjustment out of it. They can be a real PITA to get that side cover back on sometimes!

Posted (edited)

Apex Magnets is a great source of magnets at very reasonable prices.

Here's the site path to what you are looking for.

Home > Magnets > Discs - Small
Edited by Don B
Remove possible mark-up code

Posted (edited)

NJ:

I have a 6500 C3CT Mag that was my short field (OTG and Pendulum cast) form practice (for tournaments) reel - It has Ceramic ABEC 7 bearings with both side plates removed, and 4 stock ABU magnets in the carrier (+ - + -).  I just checked, and with dry bearings, the full off magnet spin time is 30 seconds and the full on magnet spin time is 4 seconds (reel is loaded with 8 lb Suffix Siege mono.  I rather suspect that your reel, with stock bearings and yellow rocket fuel, will be quite manageable.  Also, I do not have any brake blocks installed - I believe it was Neil Mackellow who recommended 1 brake block for fishing.  If you find the magnets hard to remove from your carrier, let me know... I have several that are already removed, and I can mike them for you so you order the correct size.  Last I checked, ABU does not sell individual magnets, only the fully loaded carriage.

I've never ordered from Apex, but I have Lee Valley mags from 2005 that have held up very well.

Edited by FlatWing