klunkers

slammer 3

14 posts in this topic

I read in another thread Penn has improved the line roller .If I were to purchase a slammer 3 how would I be able to tell if I am getting the improved model or the older model? Thanks Dave

I am curious as well. And if you have an older version, can it be upgraded with the bearing?

9 hours ago, klunkers said:

I read in another thread Penn has improved the line roller .If I were to purchase a slammer 3 how would I be able to tell if I am getting the improved model or the older model? Thanks Dave

5 hours ago, troutman561 said:

I am curious as well. And if you have an older version, can it be upgraded with the bearing?

klunkers -

I will get the correct date code from our QA team as to when exactly the change was done at the factory. If you provide me with your date code I can tell you if it has it or not. (the date code is on a sticker underneath the spool, and is applied to the top of the rotor). Or a simpler way is unscrew the line roller and look inside to see if there is a bearing or a bushing.

troutman561 -

All of the models can be switched to the bearing in the line roller but it includes quite a few parts including the bail wire itself. We are working on getting the updated schematics on to our website now so hold tight. Once they go up I will let everyone know, should be within the next week. Our service department will know which parts need changing to do the swap as well.

Ben Joyce

I don't own a slammer 3 . I am thinking about buying one,  just wondering how to tell the new from the older stock. I will be purchasing online. I would like to get the model with the improved line roller I live in PA.not many tackle shops. Actually none. I won't be able to see the reel before I buy it. thanks.

2 hours ago, klunkers said:

I don't own a slammer 3 . I am thinking about buying one,  just wondering how to tell the new from the older stock. I will be purchasing online. I would like to get the model with the improved line roller I live in PA.not many tackle shops. Actually none. I won't be able to see the reel before I buy it. thanks.

Make the purchase directly from Penn on there website. I’m sure they have the most updated reels in stock.

The only difference is a bearing in place of the original bushing. I have 2 slammers with the bushings and have no plans on changing them unless I have a problem. They work just fine. 

14 hours ago, klunkers said:

klunkers -

There is no way to tell without having the reel already. However, the change took place middle to late 2017, and unless a dealer has a very low turn over rate, chances are they have the updated ones on their shelves. Most bigger shops that sell a lot online should have new ones..

Ben Joyce

12 hours ago, Tagman said:

The only difference is a bearing in place of the original bushing. I have 2 slammers with the bushings and have no plans on changing them unless I have a problem. They work just fine. 

i am going to keep the bushing in mine as well

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, parkerbows said:

What is the advantage of the bearing?

parkerbows -

We are constantly working to make our designs better, and in doing so we make minor changes like this from time to time. Most of the time it is so minor nobody even notices. That being said we saw that in a few rare cases, and under extremely high drag the bushing wasn't working as well as we would have liked. I'll reiterate that this was on extremely large fish, extremely high drags and isolated events. We made the determination to go ahead and make the change to ensure it was the best product out there. Nothing wrong with bushings, in fact in a line roller they are a good option, contrary to what a lot of people think, and we use them in many reels. But being that we are always working to ensure we have the best product out there, we made that change for the Slammers. Nothing wrong with the reels that are already out there with the bushing.

Ben Joyce

57 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

parkerbows -

We are constantly working to make our designs better, and in doing so we make minor changes like this from time to time. Most of the time it is so minor nobody even notices. That being said we saw that in a few rare cases, and under extremely high drag the bushing wasn't working as well as we would have liked. I'll reiterate that this was on extremely large fish, extremely high drags and isolated events. We made the determination to go ahead and make the change to ensure it was the best product out there. Nothing wrong with bushings, in fact in a line roller they are a good option, contrary to what a lot of people think, and we use them in many reels. But being that we are always working to ensure we have the best product out there, we made that change for the Slammers. Nothing wrong with the reels that are already out there with the bushing.

Ben Joyce

Thanks I know mine is a bushing. Can I get the bearing?

Posted (edited)

Hi!
I bought a new Slammer III 7500 a couple of weeks ago. It has been delivered already but I am not state side yet and I don't know if mine came with a bushing or a bearing.

Can anyone tell me the exact measurements for that new line roller bearing in millimeters? OD, ID and Thickness..
Even if mine came with a bearing, I will be upgrading it to, preferably,  a double sealed full ceramic bearing for the extra piece of mind!

I did the same a couple of years ago with my SSV8500 and will never regret it :)

Thanks in advance!

Vando S.

Edited by Breezer28

21 hours ago, parkerbows said:

Thanks I know mine is a bushing. Can I get the bearing?

You can. It is more than just switching the bushing out though, I believe it is 5 parts total. I will get you what parts need to be changed here shortly.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Breezer28 said:

Hi!
I bought a new Slammer III 7500 a couple of weeks ago. It has been delivered already but I am not state side yet and I don't know if mine came with a bushing or a bearing.

Can anyone tell me the exact measurements for that new line roller bearing in millimeters? OD, ID and Thickness..
Even if mine came with a bearing, I will be upgrading it to, preferably,  a double sealed full ceramic bearing for the extra piece of mind!

I did the same a couple of years ago with my SSV8500 and will never regret it :)

Thanks in advance!

Vando S.

Breezer28 - I will get the dimensions for you. But just as I said in my last post, if it has a bushing in there it is not a drop in bearing. It requires 5 parts to be changed to do it.

EDIT** The Slammer III 7500 bearing dimensions are: OD: 9.0mm  ID: 5.0mm  Width: 3.0mm

Ben Joyce

Edited by PENN Fishing

Posted (edited)

Thank you Ben!
I'll be waiting on those part numbers as well :)

Hopefully I will have the model with the bearing as it was just bought a few weeks ago online.. I'll have to wait and see :)

I matched the sizes Ben gave us here, the bearing size reference is the MR95...
There are several options to choose from in the type of construction of the bearing.. The MR95 made out of ZrO2 (full ceramic) preferably shielded on both sides are the best of the best way to go but I've only found single sided shielded which is still pretty good and runs for about 15bucks online..

Thanks again Ben :)

Edited by Breezer28