What say you - Vinyl Flooring

Rate this topic

Nemesis

So we are cruising along on a rehabbed rental. I have decided to do vinyl flooring because we were able to make it an open floor plan from the kitchen to the living room. I have used allure before in kitchens and bathrooms and I like it, so I will be using that for planking. We have laid down all new sub floor so no unevenness to worry about.

Question 1. Which would you go with? Country pine

country-pine-trafficmaster-luxury-vinyl-planks-33114-64_1000.jpg.8aeb66bb6773d3b0315abc167f8c7b7a.jpgcountry-pine-trafficmaster-luxury-vinyl-planks-33114-31_1000.jpg.a924bd7adec212720b45224ee5012099.jpg

or Khaki Oak?

khaki-oak-trafficmaster-luxury-vinyl-planks-185312-64_1000.jpg.cd2d9bd90a4da26a9656f6b88a62995e.jpgkhaki-oak-trafficmaster-luxury-vinyl-planks-185312-e1_1000.jpg.e2877500ef5e50f8f4459c190c1c90d9.jpg

We will have white cabinetry and I am really siding with the Khaki Oak even though it seems a bit more trendy.

2. Would you lay a different design in the bathroom? I will also have white vanity and cabinetry there as well, but I am thinking of laying the tile type planking to change things up. It is a railroad style place and I will be working the planks off of the long wall:

3-2.thumb.jpg.1c185ad55b6663b05f6e2481a7dcff56.jpg

Front area has a cool brick wall- I am going to bring a couple planks of each down to lay by the wall to get an idea. Let me know your opinions and I will post a pic of the samples when I get to it. much obliged.

Living the Dream

I just installed about 900 sq ft of the stuff, about the same color as the oak. I do not like the pine above. That seems more dated than the khaki to me.

All white cabinetry in the place also.

Lots of sunlight throughout, and I was surprised at how much green was in the floor when it was done. Not much, but more of a hint than I would have anticipated. I think it looks great, especially with the white cabinets and cream walls. I installed it over the mfgr. padding also. Seems solid, but then, its a vacation rental so I have not spent any time there.

You have many transitions in that place, are you going to use a uniform pattern or as it flows out of the box? Installing in all the closets and everything, yes?

Does that mfgr offer transition pieces or base/shoe moldings?

Depends on your decor, spouse, and where you live. We have darker oak in NY,  and the khaki gray in Fla.

Edited by cheech
Spelling

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

8 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Khaki oak, and yes, different in the bathroom.

Great minds think alike :th:

8 hours ago, mybeach said:

I just installed about 900 sq ft of the stuff, about the same color as the oak. I do not like the pine above. That seems more dated than the khaki to me.

You have many transitions in that place, are you going to use a uniform pattern or as it flows out of the box? Installing in all the closets and everything, yes?

Does that mfgr offer transition pieces or base/shoe moldings?

Agreed on the dated look. I have been using the inexpensive lakeshore pecan laminate on the other units (similar layouts) and I have been good with the transitions, it is tough some places, but good none the less. I am thinking that the vinyl has gotta be a heckuvalot easier to use. Not sure about the transitions but I imagine so, the HD has a whole section for TM transitions. I'm checking today...

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Depends on your decor, spouse, and where you live. We have darker oak in NY,  and the khaki gray in Fla.

:th: this is closer to the water- good to hear

Living the Dream

The only shortcoming I found with the LVT planks is that you must use the factory joints everywhere. You cannot, for example, install planks perpendicular and have the joints mate properly. As long as you are running it in one direction, the joints are super precise. That, and I had to work backwards in one location. That being said, even with the transitions I had to overcome, the entire floor is one piece throughout the condo.

The stuff I used was very difficult to cut with a util knife due to the amount of stone dust in the formula. I used a table saw with an old 40 tooth blade.

What are those planks, 36"? Once you get the rhythm down, that floor goes in quickly.

I was able to start on the wall with a full width plank and finished the room with a 5"wide piece.

The transitions sound interesting. Makes sense to start them under the floor. Are they factory jointed as well, or is it just a butt joint on the trans?

A friend on mine just put Khaki oak in his place and it looks great, good choice. :howdy: :th:

BTW, who ever did your Drywall Finishing did a excellent good....I would know, I have been a Finisher for 44 years and that's the kind of work I like to see. :th: :th:

Charter Member Ancient Mariners

Charter Member of CT Buoy

Member of Striper 50/50 Club

@mybeach they are 36" and they aren't factory joined, I will take a shot when I use them. Seems they have reducers. I am hoping things will move along- I am used to laminate so I am sure this will be much easier.

@Captain Lew That is good to hear on both accounts :th:  the father and son that run this company are solid guys. We are lucky all around on the items we farm out.

Living the Dream

I did LVT planks in my basement last year- about 800 sq ft.  It went down pretty quickly and looks great-  deep Tahitian walnut look.  Not as fast as they do it on HGTV, but hey my knees and back cant' do it for 8 hours straight.  Like most flooring, the square sections are easy- it's where rooms join up and there are transitions or angled walls that it takes a bit more effort.  But easier than the hardwood I have installed in another room months earlier. The wide planks make it go fast.  Only problem I have had is that it can scratch if you drag something with an edge over it- eg a heavy tote full of books.  Also did the associated stairs- that was glue down and they came out awesome.  USFloors product