FSC or ODM?

Rate this topic

S.A.M.

I'm currently in the market for a dedicated canal rod.  After much research I have narrowed down my decision to two choices. One is the FSC MB1329 rated 5-10, and the other is the ODM Jigster rated 4-10.  I will be splitting the rods duty between plugs and jigs. Plugs mainly in the 2.5-5 oz. range and jigs to 5 oz. with rubber, and sometimes throwing the heavy shads.  Rod will be paired with a VS 275. Just looking for any feedback from actual owners of these rods who use them for the canal and can tell me where these two rods excel at and what are their downsides, if any.  Which rod is better for jigging and which one is better for plugging, or if these two rods are comparable in action. I'm leaning more towards the FSC due to its warranty, but it never hurts to hear any feedback from anglers and their experiences. Thank you in advance.

I purchased a Jigster this winter for the upcoming 2018 season. I have not used it fishing yet, but did stop by the canal during one of the warm February days to give it a try. I was impressed by the sensitivity of the rod. I could feel my 4oz Bucktails and lead head rubber shads hitting the top of the weeds where before I thought the lure was swimming above everything. The rod also imparted more action to the 3-3/4 oz surface plug I cast out. However, this is my first custom rod and the performance I mentioned may be common with other custom rods.   

I have the FSC, I consider it a tad too soft in the tip to be considered a true heavy jigger. I use the largest sized Savage eels and Tsunami heavy shads, works them just fine but could be stiffer for what I'm doing with it. Word is FSC is introducing a new dedicated heavy jigger that will improve where I need it to. Should be coming out any time now.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

7 hours ago, TLap21 said:

Both will be fine and are good choices.  I believe Ba Ba is referring to the 1269, instead of the 1329 based off his description.  

Good catch, I'm using the 10'6" version not the 11'.  

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

both good rods to throw plugs, both rods are a little to soft to heavy jig with....better warranty with FSC...

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, ged said:

The FSC is made in America, so that is the one I would buy

i gotta agree with you Gary,+1...FSC is made in the USA, ODM blanks are made in China, wow, plenty expensive, for being made in China,,,,

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.