Jig Man

Jigman plugs, requests, whats next

122 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Marc H said:

This version!

Cool. Been playing with larger sizes too. The 6 1/2 inch version what folks would like, or would a larger one be of use?

7 mins ago, hobobob said:

A batch of Peanut walker would be nice before the full run.

Yeah, probably need to do some for here too. Good match for the bait in our tailwater area. Just remember them being pain to turn cause of the off-center stuff. First couple of stripers I got on them here were over 20#, so just might have to turn through the pain :) 

I don't know jack about plug turning, but I would imagine these asymmetric stuff  would be quite labor intensive.  Thanks in advance.  Oh in white please. lol.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, Bfishes333 said:

Bottle darters, darters, bottle, bottles. Anything subsurface in 4"-6" :box:

That pencil looks sweet slow sinker? 

I would like to see a 1 oz Bottle Darter too .

1 hour ago, smellfish said:

I would like to see a 1 oz Bottle Darter too .

Me too! I have messed with them some, but do not have them down well enough to consider selling any in the near future. That and a smaller bottle plug are two that I have been wanting to do for myself for a while, but keep getting side tracked on other stuff :o

On 3/18/2018 at 10:02 AM, Southcoastphil said:

Ever since I saw your pearl Pikie, I fell in love with your pearl color.  

Although I've fished a lot of solid yelow and solid white plugs in the past, I seem to have better results with various degrees of contrast, such as yellow over white, chartreuse/white, black/white and black/yellow, parrot, etc.

i love the idea of having a silver stripe, even though I do not have many plugs with silver stripes.  (Yet?!)

My votes are:

X color over silver side stipes and pearl belly, where X = medium yellow, charcoal or black, chartreuse, olive green

X color over gold side stripes and pearl belly, where X = olive, medium- or dark-brown (maybe copper?), olive green

Assuming that my laptop returns from the shop tomorrow, I'll get some pics up of these colors.

Thanks for asking, Andrew!!

Here's a pic of several color combos:

P1030263.thumb.JPG.f543b7b797555016873378d78ebfb247.JPG

Note that, in the top plug, the silver side appears (to my untrained eye) to have been painted over the yellow, since there's yellow both above and below the silver.

Next is a pretty subtle use of medium olive/gold/pearl.

P1030267.thumb.JPG.cbc354c791e912650e9245c9646d17af.JPG

Yep, fog the silver or gold over the base color to get that blended look. I often do a light coat of metallic gold over yellow along the sides of a plug. 

35 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Yep, fog the silver or gold over the base color to get that blended look. I often do a light coat of metallic gold over yellow along the sides of a plug. 

Sounds killer to me!

I could use a pikie or two for the season, if there are any left. Thanks

I don't have any finished pikies right now. Could certainly do a run of them if folks were interesred. What size?

Been working on divers this weekend. Hope to paint tomorrow. I was going to do a couple of sizes,  but did not have enough metal lip worthy wood, so went with the 5 1/2 inch (around 2 oz) version for this batch. I also have a small batch of my breachway swimmers that will go up the same time.  Hopefully towards the end of the week, weekend at the latest. I'll post a thread ahead of time giving the actual time once I know for sure.

The breachway swimmers are a niche plug. I built them specific for fishing the dropping tide in rhody breachways. I've also put them to use fish the rips at the canal. Basically, they are a deep diving plug that needs current. Throw them in shallow water or with no current and you'll wonder what was I thinking. Deeper water with current, you'll figure that part out quickly ;) years ago when I was testing some I ran one 100 feet behind the boat and was bouncing bottom in 8 feet of water at 2 mph on the boat. More current or line out and they'll run deeper. This is another plug that Ill bend the lip on depending on conditions.  

While the breachway needs current, the diver likes current,  but is also useful in no current areas. Without current, it will run around 4 feet deep or so on a cast. Handles current well too. I have fished them in the canal rips and dropping tide at the breachway. Again, don't be afraid to bend the lip depending on conditions. 

On both,  bend the lip up to run deeper with a tighter wiggle, bend down to run shallower with a wider wobble. 

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

bend the lip up to run deeper with a tighter wiggle, bend down to run shallower with a wider wobble.

BLASPHEMY!!!

:howdy: