kross57

Lawn Chair Seats

142 posts in this topic

Not just for flipping/pitching, but for tip-down presentations like frogs/spooks/jerkbaits etc. You can get by sitting down, but standing is better. There's a reason bass boats all have the same raised, flat deck design.

I was just talking to a bass guy about this. He called us kayakers "a bunch of trollers and blind casters," lol...the fact is, that's what we are, esp in the salt. Guys who fish bass in freshwater, at least guys who are good at it...demand much more precision in their casts, tackle, presentation, just about everything. It's a different ballgame trying to catch fish that's seen every lure known to man at one point or another in their life. There's nothing like the same pressure in saltwater fishing. A lot of work for average 2-3lb fish lol.

My brother-in-law and I do float downs on the Delaware and he once said,"The less is better". It is also  good advice for surf launches.

8 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Not just for flipping/pitching, but for tip-down presentations like frogs/spooks/jerkbaits etc. You can get by sitting down, but standing is better. There's a reason bass boats all have the same raised, flat deck design.

I was just talking to a bass guy about this. He called us kayakers "a bunch of trollers and blind casters," lol...the fact is, that's what we are, esp in the salt. Guys who fish bass in freshwater, at least guys who are good at it...demand much more precision in their casts, tackle, presentation, just about everything. It's a different ballgame trying to catch fish that's seen every lure known to man at one point or another in their life. There's nothing like the same pressure in saltwater fishing. A lot of work for average 2-3lb fish lol.

Exactly correct. 

Also lets not forget our fly fishing friends as well. 

I have said before and continue to stand by this; different strokes for different folks.  Customer demand and sell through tell a very clear tale in regards to this style of fishing and this type of kayak.  The Bassmaster Classic is going on right now with hundreds of thousands of people attending.  Every one of them 'stands to fish'.  Thats a market that cannot be denied, nor should it be.  I enjoy FW fishing equally with SW.  And kayaks are cheap enough that I own several, some for salt, some for fresh.  

If kayak companies built boats only for people who surf launch and fish in big saltwater conditions, they would go out of business.  I dont think anyone at these companies would advocate these boats as surf boats.  

I don't do freshwater fishing that much anymore but when I did- I could only get my worm up under some overhang if I was standing- maybe I needed to practice a different approach but I also did not need to cover huge amounts of distance when fishing freshwater around where i live so a stand up slow kayak was fine for what I needed.

How about people that pole the flats?  Serious sight fishing whether its the Brewster flats or somewhere on Exuma.  A speedy fast ocean yak would be useless bonefishing I would imagine.  Thats a bucket list fish for me.

17 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Exactly correct. 

Also lets not forget our fly fishing friends as well. 

I have said before and continue to stand by this; different strokes for different folks.  Customer demand and sell through tell a very clear tale in regards to this style of fishing and this type of kayak.  The Bassmaster Classic is going on right now with hundreds of thousands of people attending.  Every one of them 'stands to fish'.  Thats a market that cannot be denied, nor should it be.  I enjoy FW fishing equally with SW.  And kayaks are cheap enough that I own several, some for salt, some for fresh.  

If kayak companies built boats only for people who surf launch and fish in big saltwater conditions, they would go out of business.  I dont think anyone at these companies would advocate these boats as surf boats.  

This thread is about seats, not standing in kayaks. And the problem, as you seem to be ignoring, is that these rigid, lawn chair seats are being put into kayaks in such a way that you HAVE to use them. The boats are molded around the seats.  There is no option. When you use these kayaks in the surf that becomes an enormous negative and can even be dangerous.

But the dealers and makers look the other way. Just like you are. So, every year there are more kayaks with these seats and fewer without them. Not a single Hobie, for example, is available without the Vantage seat. Are you telling me NO Hobie is a surf boat?

It's a tyranny of the majority. And it's a freaking shame. 

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

How about people that pole the flats?  Serious sight fishing whether its the Brewster flats or somewhere on Exuma.  A speedy fast ocean yak would be useless bonefishing I would imagine.  Thats a bucket list fish for me.

I have been catching bonefish for 30 years, including "somewhere on Exuma". I would never consider fishing out of a kayak, standing or not. Use the kayak to get you to the flat, then wade. A "speedy, fast" efficient kayak is exactly what I'd want to cover miles and miles of water quickly.  It's not rocket science.

Edited by kross57

Never fished bonefish.  I am jealous, bucket list for me.  No idea how to do it.  I am just thinking of situations on flats where people pole boats and sight fish, like I have seen bonefish guides do on TV.  The point remains the same though.  There are people that want to stand up and fish on flats everywhere in the world.  

21 mins ago, kross57 said:

This thread is about seats, not standing in kayaks. And the problem, as you seem to be ignoring, is that these rigid, lawn chair seats are being put into kayaks in such a way that you HAVE to use them. The boats are molded around the seats.  There is no option. When you use these kayaks in the surf that becomes an enormous negative and can even be dangerous.

But the dealers and makers look the other way. Just like you are. So, every year there are more kayaks with these seats and fewer without them. Not a single Hobie, for example, is available without the Vantage seat. Are you telling me NO Hobie is a surf boat?

It's a tyranny of the majority. And it's a freaking shame. 

Ross you need to take a few breaths man.  Phew.  Who is demanding people launch these in the surf?  You say I am, can you provide any evidence of me saying that bringing big boats through the surf is good?  Anything?  I look at these big boats for what they are, I dont care what some marketing guy in Cali says.

Manufactures have a marketing dept, they market.  If they get it wrong, I get that its a shame, but tyranny?  If you like your lawn chair seat keep it.  If you are foolish enough to try and take it through the surf, it will be a good perhaps expensive lesson.

7 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Never fished bonefish.  I am jealous, bucket list for me.  No idea how to do it.  I am just thinking of situations on flats where people pole boats and sight fish, like I have seen bonefish guides do on TV.  The point remains the same though.  There are people that want to stand up and fish on flats everywhere in the world.  

Right - bonefish GUIDES. Meaning the guide poles and controls the boat while the client stands in the front and casts. Unless you have 4 arms, it is almost impossible to do on your own. Like in a kayak. When you put the pole down, you are at the mercy of wind and current. Or you must tie up in one spot to cast, and do it before the fish are gone. Remember, this isn't blind casting. This is positioning yourself perfectly to properly present to a particular sighted fish. In a drifting boat or one tied to a pole, that's almost impossible. Good luck.

Either way, it hardly seems like a reason to screw every guy who wants to surf launch. But, go ahead, keep giving them excuses.  

Sounds like fun.  Maybe a stakeout pole.  I wonder if anyone targets bones out of a kayak. :why:

I am all for the right tool for the job so I get not wanting to take a big lawn chair through the surf.  I would only do it under very flat conditions.

13 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Ross you need to take a few breaths man.  Phew.  Who is demanding people launch these in the surf?  You say I am, can you provide any evidence of me saying that bringing big boats through the surf is good?  Anything?  I look at these big boats for what they are, I dont care what some marketing guy in Cali says.

Manufactures have a marketing dept, they market.  If they get it wrong, I get that its a shame, but tyranny?  If you like your lawn chair seat keep it.  If you are foolish enough to try and take it through the surf, it will be a good perhaps expensive lesson.

I'm perfectly calm. But please pay attention. It gets tiresome explaining this over and over. As just one example, EVERY new Hobie has this rigid lawn chair seat. Every one. These aren't the super wide boats intended for bass fishing on a lake. They're boats used for, and intended for ocean fishing.   

So, nobody is DEMANDING they launch them in the surf. But they certainly aren't telling you what a problem the seat is, are they? Or trying to offer a decent work-around. I mean, what the heck is so difficult about creating a kayak that will accept both the lawn chair seat AND a standard seat? Why limit people to something that doesn't work? 

Sadly, makers tend to listen to knuckleheads that assure them they are making everybody - or at least the majority - happy. That's the shame of it. You're part of the problem.   

Just now, Shipwreck said:

Sounds like fun.  Maybe a stakeout pole.  I wonder if anyone targets bones out of a kayak. :why:

I am all for the right tool for the job so I get not wanting to take a big lawn chair through the surf.  I would only do it under very flat conditions.

I understand that you've never done this.

Bonefish are CONSTANTLY moving. Once you find them, you need to stay with them and move into position quickly. Then you have a few seconds to cast.  I guess you could sit in one spot and hope the fish come to you. But I've never seen anyone do it or have a guide suggest it. Doesn't sound like a great idea. 

I personally. An appreciatethe idea of a lawn chair style  seat. Especially an adjustable  height one.

Typically these chairs come on kayaks that are wide and stable enough to stand up in. 

Being able to move around, stand, and sit in different  positions seems like a benefit  to me.

Having said all that..... if I were doing sketchy surf launches and landings I would  look for a lawn chair seat that comes off or folds flat or stores away to prevent possible  damage. 

Same goes for all things  on the kayak.... ie rods, tackle, etc.

16 mins ago, Fagro said:

Typically these chairs come on kayaks that are wide and stable enough to stand up in. 

Having said all that..... if I were doing sketchy surf launches and landings I would  look for a lawn chair seat that comes off or folds flat or stores away to prevent possible  damage. 

First, these seats are showing up on all kinds of kayaks, not just wide boats. Look at the WS Tarpons, or every Hobie. The list goes on and on. 

Second, once you stow or fold up the seat, what do you sit on?