kross57

Lawn Chair Seats

142 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thanks to fig for posting this. This is why rigid lawn chair seats, like the new Hobie seat, don't mix well with surf. All it took was one small wave to destroy it. And when you are sitting in the seat, getting whacked by waves, it's dangerous.  I tried telling the folks at Hobie this, but they could care less. 

Edited by kross57

Dumb and dumber trying to launch in the surf. He let go of the kayak when there was zero chance waves. What a poor representation of launching in the surf.

It's imperative for this guy to stand or else you won't catch fish. That's the sales pitch to the new sheep. Bunch of crap.

bonafide.JPG

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Hobie too.

Utterly clueless. Dude should have his pedals pulled, paddle in hand, and be sitting up straight so he can lean his boat into the wave and avoid the flip. Even getting out I can't imagine trying to accelerate 400 plus pounds of boat,  body and gear.

1 hour ago, robmedina said:

Dumb and dumber trying to launch in the surf. He let go of the kayak when there was zero chance waves. What a poor representation of launching in the surf.

That's not really the point, although I've seen a LOT worse. The thing is, you should be able to walk your kayak down to the waves, push it out and let it roll around for 5 minutes without any damage. In this case, one small wave and the seat was destroyed. There was a hatch ripped open too. Prime example of why rigid seats in surf are a very bad idea.  

Lol no one buying this kayak is going to surf launch. The guy who uploaded the video has some very questionable content. 

39 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Lol no one buying this kayak is going to surf launch. 

Not more than once, anyway.

Largemouth bass guys are used to standing.  They want that and a huge, high, comfortable seat.  That is who this boat was built for.

Side note... look at the Feel Free kayaks... they have an upholstered boat chair on those barges.

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

Largemouth bass guys are used to standing.

There is no advantage to standing imo, unless they are actually sight fishing. Bunch of crap. This guy from Jackson is standing in murky water. Telling us the advantage is get distance casting .....please.

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

There is no advantage to standing imo, unless they are actually sight fishing. Bunch of crap. This guy from Jackson is standing in murky water. Telling us the advantage is get distance casting .....please.

The reason guys want to stand bass fishing is because it makes it a LOT easier to flip and pitch.  Doesn't really have anything to do with sight fishing or distance.

He just said it was distance and accuracy in his video for him.  I dont flip  amd pitch so cant comment on it. 

Lol..however this guy is pitching and flipping easily sitting in the kayak. Looking at his techniques I guess I flip too...and I did’t even know I was doing it. Lol

Here are the flipping and pitching techniques by a guy who actually knows what they are.  There is no doubt that it is easier to do standing up.