yosco

Sanibel/Captiva

12 posts in this topic

Can I expect snook to be out along the beaches by the last week

of this month? Trout?  Thanks.

Right now the water temp dropped again, it’s in the 60s. Snook will still be inside in warmer water locations. 

Bigger problem now is the red tide. Keep an eye on it, it’s not good right now. Dead fish on the beaches. 

Water temps should be back up some by then. They've plunged over past 2 weeks with endless parade of cold fronts. (40° air temp in port Charlotte right now. That's brisk)

180315_074_0850_n19.jpg.95b8658e3b4d0d9849a84f115c7ed71c.jpg

Water temperature right now near Ft. Myers/Bonita is 74 degrees, plenty warm for snook, jacks, trout.

However, there aren't many of them being caught from shore. Possibly in the backwaters, I don't know, but fishing from the beach, it's been pretty slow going for most fishermen heading into the last week of March. Few fish and lots of red algae weed and, of course, still remnants of red tide. 

Thank you. Hopefully I'll get lucky and it will pick up

a bit over the next week. Still looking forward to getting

away from this snow.

Took a 28" Snook off the beach at Longbeach Key yesterday on the Gulf side. Took a black beadhead fly white over orange. May be the exception rather than the rule, but nothing ventured nothing gained. A dry fly line won't catch fish.

I will be on Sanibel island the week of April 8th. I am vacationing with my wife so my fishing will mostly be daylight hours in an area she can sit in the sun or collect shells. I will try fishing Sanibel Pier, Blind Pass and the Sanibel Causeway. Any suggestions as to what species I should target. I will have a 3 section 9'  surfcasting travel rod paired with a Shimano 8000D baitrunner.   

On 3/29/2018 at 4:12 PM, Jigster said:

I will be on Sanibel island the week of April 8th. I am vacationing with my wife so my fishing will mostly be daylight hours in an area she can sit in the sun or collect shells. I will try fishing Sanibel Pier, Blind Pass and the Sanibel Causeway. Any suggestions as to what species I should target. I will have a 3 section 9'  surfcasting travel rod paired with a Shimano 8000D baitrunner.   

Fished this area many times and absolutely love it. Great areas just make sure you have some decent lead with you to keep the bottom when fishing small outflows/inflows. The water MOVES. Plenty of snook, jacks, drum, sea trout and snapper to keep ya busy depending on the spot. Off the beach there are plenty of all of these species given it stays warm, plus small sharks of course. Best baits are LIVE shrimp, pinfish if you can keep em alive and dead/frozen cut baits (last choice unless for sharks). Don’t bother with frozen shrimp, even if the live ones die they’re better than the frozen crap. 

Outfit it may be a little heavy considering what’s around (8000 baitrunner is a beast). But then again you can just go with big bait ;) 

The most simple and effective: go to a spot, use LIVE shrimp with appropriate lead and you’ll catch whatever’s there :) good luck! 

Thanks for the info. I'll grab the right size lead and hooks at a local tackle shop when I arrive on Sanibel.

52 mins ago, Jigster said:

Thanks for the info. I'll grab the right size lead and hooks at a local tackle shop when I arrive on Sanibel.

No prob, let us know how it goes. 

Im heading there on Friday for a week of fishing.

anyone have any updates?

thanks

I just returned from a week on Sanibel. The condo I stayed at was on the beach of the Gulf facing side. The parking at the Lighthouse and Blind pass was $5 per hour so I just fished the beach at the condo with fresh/frozen shrimp using 1/2 oz weight, 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. I caught a lot of catfish and a good amount of whiting or white fish up to 10". I live lined the whiting and got one pick up but lost the fish. Next time I go down I will try fishing the SanibelCauseway.