Auce

Another NJ landmark closing down.

45 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, fishless said:

The Delaware if a pretty big body of water.  There's a lot of lakes nearby also. 

I never really thought of that. But it seems saltwater fishing is more popular around here and people spend more money on equiptment for saltwater then freshwater. But I could be wrong, I never really got into fishing fresh water. But I know Harry’s has a lot of other stuff besides just fishing stuff too. 

Lived in Hamilton all my life and have been using Harry’s and sportsman’s center 30+ years now. Sportsman’s Center is now a indoor flea market with a small area selling guns and safes, and harry’s Is just closing it’s doors. Kinda seen the writing on the wall when they cut the store in half, never really cared for the owner but staff was always good.

On March 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM, The Fishing Nerd said:

The people complaining about online retailers (which, in this case I'm not sure applies to Harry's) do so because of the following:

• They usually don't have more costly brick and mortar locations to maintain
  • They're usually in much cheaper locations that allow them to operate with much lower overhead
  • They're usually in places that don't require the collection of sales tax from many/most of their customers

So before you run around screaming they're all idiots, you might want to consider the fact that these retailers can charge 15-20% less for an item and still make the same profit.  Oh, and with less of a cash outlay, so they can set up shop with a lot less risk than the retailer faces.

It's like comparing a takeout restaurant to a food truck.  The food truck has far lower overhead - so if he parks outside the restaurant and offers the same food for 20% less, the only chance the restaurant has of competing is over quality.  If the quality is the same, game over.

Maybe im confused or something. The owner paid to have a website set up, yet not utilize it to make money off of!?! How is that store near ac doing, TD? They actually have a site to order from?!! Interesting right?? Hmmmm coincidence?? Or the SW edge? Another store with online ordering!! I live about 30-40 mins from TD. Great store to see. But, if i know what I want, why do I need to waste my time driving to the store to go buy it? Its easier to buy it online. And whats even better is, if you order over $100 worth of stuff, you get free shipping. Win win right there. So dont tell me that it doesnt have an effect on business. Either the owner was too cheap to set it up in the past, or just didnt want to. 

On March 14, 2018 at 9:19 AM, nam1969 said:

Changing times, changing ways. Adapt, reorient, reinvent or go the way of the dodo.

Exactly!! Really stupid to have a website set up and paid for, but not be able to make money off of it!! 

OK, it's clear you don't understand business or e-commerce or both.

Setting up a website that advertises what you have is many, MANY times easier and cheaper than setting up a site that ties in real time inventory and online purchasing.  Orders of magnitude higher, depending on the size of inventory.

Harry's website is a handful of static pages with no mention of their actual inventory.  Setting up that site cost them next to nothing.  Setting up an e-commerce site would have run them tens of thousands of dollars, if not more.  If the business was not very profitable or they had plans of retiring in a short timeframe, they'd never recoup that money.

Comparing Saltwater's Edge?  Much smaller store, smaller staff.  No legacy costs.  They operate in a lower cost location.

They were in business for nearly 70 years.  Hard to believe it's run by a bunch of morons.

On 3/14/2018 at 0:44 PM, Big Will said:

I never really thought of that. But it seems saltwater fishing is more popular around here and people spend more money on equiptment for saltwater then freshwater. But I could be wrong, I never really got into fishing fresh water. But I know Harry’s has a lot of other stuff besides just fishing stuff too. 

Freshwater is popular around areas that are further away from the salt. It's even to the point where urban water fishing in NJ is a thing.

I don't know the store, never heard of it, don't know where its located. This may or may not apply here times are rough for a lot of people. Many people tend to go where they can get the best deals, and don't worry about customer service as much. We are in a time where big box stores are closing left and right, so you know mom pops have to be hurting as well. 

I can't tell you the last time I've stepped in to a B&T or a sportinggoods store in general. But I've purchased a zillion things online and often through small to medium businesses some of which have physical stores. Fishermans source, jigging world, i live to fish, tackledirect, jandh tackle, shark river mail order, various fly shops out west etc.

4 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Harry's website is a handful of static pages with no mention of their actual inventory.  Setting up that site cost them next to nothing.  Setting up an e-commerce site would have run them tens of thousands of dollars, if not more.  If the business was not very profitable or they had plans of retiring in a short timeframe, they'd never recoup that money.

You are clearly missing the point. Do you not understand that this could have been set up in the early to mid 2000s so that they could actully sell product online? Im not talking about doing that this year or the previous year. This couldve been done years ago. From what ive read, it couldve been done by someone who worked there years ago, at a discounted price, but the owner wanted it done for free. 

So tell me, how is tackle direct, which has a huge sporting goods store in Ac, doing? Looks to me they are still doing well!! And get this, you get free shipping when you order over $50. Win win there! Seems like they got it figured out. Now move along, time to order some things online, and get free shipping. Places need to step the hell up into modern times. 

Does anyone know the status of the Bass Pro store build in Sayreville?

19 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I don't know the store, never heard of it, don't know where its located. This may or may not apply here times are rough for a lot of people. Many people tend to go where they can get the best deals, and don't worry about customer service as much. We are in a time where big box stores are closing left and right, so you know mom pops have to be hurting as well. 

I can't tell you the last time I've stepped in to a B&T or a sportinggoods store in general. But I've purchased a zillion things online and often through small to medium businesses some of which have physical stores. Fishermans source, jigging world, i live to fish, tackledirect, jandh tackle, shark river mail order, various fly shops out west etc.

All true, and we all are spending some of our fishing $ online out of necessity. But when was the last time Amazon or TD texted you and said: "Hey, I just got a shipment of bucktails and there's a few that are amazing. You want to come over and pick through before I put them out in the shop?' or "Hey, you know that 9' SP rod you were asking me about? I need to make room for new stuff, so if you still want it, then you can have at my cost."  These guys didn't know me from anyone, but I've built 30 year relationships with multiple local shops, and they have provided me with solid info, services, and saved me $.  Not to mention the tackle shop experience is part of the fishing process for me.  It's fading fast, too bad. 

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Does anyone know the status of the Bass Pro store build in Sayreville?

NJ dot com

Updated Mar 15, 4:32 PM; Posted Mar 15, 11:25 AM
A rendering of the Riverton redevelopment project in Sayreville (Photo provided by North American Properties)

A rendering of the Riverton redevelopment project in Sayreville (Photo provided by North American Properties)

By Marisa Iati

miati@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

It's being hailed as the largest

mixedused development site in New Jersey history and one of the state's largest brownfield remediation projects, but what impact will a $2.5 billion redevelopment plan have on Sayreville? 

Community members on Tuesday got their first chance to ask questions about a 418-acre project along the Raritan River announced last fall. They raised concerns about traffic, potential school overcrowding and a sewerage smell on the waterfront. 

Most of those details are yet to be hammered out, representatives from the developer told about 200 residents at the standing-room only forum, but plans for the "Riverton" project are chugging along. 

Here are eight new facts the developer, North American Properties, revealed: 

1. The project is meant to create a "main street" or a city within a city of sorts, made up of residential, retail, entertainment, marina, office and hotel space along a two-mile tract of the Raritan River. 

2. NAP plans to erect Riverton in five or six phases over the course of 10 to 12 years, with the first two phases slated to be the biggest. 

3. The development will include 2,000 residential units, some of which will be rented and others of which will be owner-occupied. Although NAP representatives said they did not know for sure what the impact would be on Sayreville's schools, they said their previous, similar projects have overwhelmingly attracted childless millennials and empty nesters. 

4. Bass Pro Shop, a huge hunting fishing and boating store with 82 locations in North America, will be an anchor of the project. 

5. Ten restaurants ranging from an Irish pub to a white tablecloth restaurant are expected to open in the development. 

6. Riverton is intended to serve residents who live inside a 30- to 40-mile diameter circle surrounding Sayreville. Roughly 1.3 million people, with an average household income of more than $100,000, live within a 20-minute drive from where the project is supposed to rise. 

7. NAP hopes to break ground on Riverton this year, although they are still in talks with the Sayreville Economic Redevelopment Authority and need green lights from the planning board and the council. They are also still seeking approval for a New Jersey Economic Development Authority grant that would partially fund the project. But...

8. ...There's no guarantee the development will pan out at all. The riverside acreage has been vacant since the National Lead Industries paint factory closed in the 1980s, and a previous developer tried and failed to build there.

"This is a long process, and it's an extremely heavy lift," said Mark Toro, the current developer's managing partner. "... It is in no way assured."

On 3/15/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sheisty said:

Like most I do a fair amount of buying on-line, but it's on products I know and trust and usually a result of Jan-April boredom. Most of the "season I'm in a local shop somewhere buying and chatting up the help for some  inside tidbits...operative word "buying". Everyone knows who the two big players are on the striper coast and both also have substantial brick and mortar businesses. Both have outstanding customer service too. How many websites have the page "shop" and when you click on it "coming soon" appears. There are several in NJ that have had that message up for over five years. Something wrong there for sure, but the smaller guys are going to go the way of the dodo eventually, except for the few with almost perfect locations and great service to boot.

Side story: I went to my local shop last Monday, bought an expensive reel plus the labor to flip it to bail-less lined it with 30#, also purchased a bag of Gulp and a bag of hooks. I looked at my receipt which I thought was too low, but who's complaining, and thought nice job guys. Seems I paid for the reel and the tax, the Gulp and nothing more. That's what can happen at a brick and mortar shop if you are a loyal customer.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sheisty said:

Agreed, you go where you can and afford to go.  If they have it, great, sold.  If not, you know it's online SOMEWHERE.  I love supporting the little guys but they're dwindling in every industry, and if they have so-so service on top of it, it's a matter of time I think.

Posted (edited)

On March 16, 2018 at 10:28 AM, SG1 said:

All true, and we all are spending some of our fishing $ online out of necessity. But when was the last time Amazon or TD texted you and said: "Hey, I just got a shipment of bucktails and there's a few that are amazing. You want to come over and pick through before I put them out in the shop?' or "Hey, you know that 9' SP rod you were asking me about? I need to make room for new stuff, so if you still want it, then you can have at my cost."  These guys didn't know me from anyone, but I've built 30 year relationships with multiple local shops, and they have provided me with solid info, services, and saved me $.  Not to mention the tackle shop experience is part of the fishing process for me.  It's fading fast, too bad. 

I can name 7 shops closed up in Monmouth county alone in the past 10 years.  From Hazlet to Spring Lake Heights and now most recently L&H around Wall.  Some were better than others but most all of them were generous and patient with customers.  They are really convenient if your looking to replace some  artificials  mangled by the monster blues while the bite is still on.  Or if you just want to pick up a cheap starter combo setup because a niece or nephew down for the weekend suddenly shows some interest in wetting a line. 

I bought my first saltwater setup at Giglios around 35 years ago.  They're still there and I still feel happy walking into the shop.  They carry some fine plugs crafted by local names you're not going to find on Saltwater Edge or TD.  I picked up a few more I had been turned onto last fall there.  Great plugs.

I started out with Penn and continue to use them.  For that reason alone I appreciate Julian's B&T.  He has every part I ever needed for my old Penns.  Several times I lost a spring from a spool or had trouble with a worn anti-reverse dog and would have Joe search 20 minutes to find for me the $2 part.  Call Dicks and you'll be put on hold for 20 minutes before you can speak with someone to find out they don't carry the part. Lol.

Edited by Dogfishnj

18 hours ago, Dogfishnj said:

I can name 7 shops closed up in Monmouth county alone in the past 10 years.  From Hazlet to Spring Lake Heights and now most recently L&H around Wall.  Some were better than others but most all of them were generous and patient with customers.  They are really convenient if your looking to replace some  artificials  mangled by the monster blues while the bite is still on.  Or if you just want to pick up a cheap starter combo setup because a niece or nephew down for the weekend suddenly shows some interest in wetting a line. 

I bought my first saltwater setup at Giglios around 35 years ago.  They're still there and I still feel happy walking into the shop.  They carry some fine plugs crafted by local names you're not going to find on Saltwater Edge or TD.  I picked up a few more I had been turned onto last fall there.  Great plugs.

I started out with Penn and continue to use them.  For that reason alone I appreciate Julian's B&T.  He has every part I ever needed for my old Penns.  Several times I lost a spring from a spool or had trouble with a worn anti-reverse dog and would have Joe search 20 minutes to find for me the $2 part.  Call Dicks and you'll be put on hold for 20 minutes before you can speak with someone to find out they don't carry the part. Lol.

And how many of those shops could you buy products from online? Its the way it is now. Either places can adapt to it, or you will be seeing more close. Give me the best deal!!! I dont care where it is. You know what is really hilarious about all these people telling you to buy local. There was a place a lil south or Harrys. I went is and asked for a certain reel. They didnt have it. And when I asked how long will it take to get it i was told a couple weeks to a month!! Wtf!?! I can have that reel ordered, with free shipping before i can even leave that store.  See if i need a part for a couple of old penns I still dont need to talk to anyone in a tackle shop. I go on a certain site and its ordered. Why even bother with Dicks? Their gulp sale cant be beat. Only good thing they are useful for. But even they have good deals if you look.