Auce

Another NJ landmark closing down.

45 posts in this topic

Brick and mortar is almost a thing of the past

17 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Brick and mortar is almost a thing of the past

Only for the dinosaurs that refuse to adapt and just blame their problems on <<Insert successful company name here>> (use to be Walmart, now its usually Amazon).

There are several retail shops just in our area alone that have embraced technology and social media who are thriving while putting these old-school shops into retirement.

Posted (edited)

damnit! Central NJ is becoming a wasteland for outdoor stores

Edited by greeny

Sad.  I follow them on facebook and have seen pictures of recent restocking and advertisements for cashiers.  I wonder prompted the sudden closing.  I've never been there but was planning on hitting it this week to pick some stuff up.   I just had a conversation with my wife on our way home from a disappointing Cabela's run last week, that I will be making a serious effort to spend my money in small business shops as much as possible moving forward.  Sad to see these places continuously shutting down.

3 hours ago, J Barbosa said:

Only for the dinosaurs that refuse to adapt and just blame their problems on <<Insert successful company name here>> (use to be Walmart, now its usually Amazon).

There are several retail shops just in our area alone that have embraced technology and social media who are thriving while putting these old-school shops into retirement.

+1

Gotta change with time or go bye bye 

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious.  Which smaller shops would you say do a good job and are keeping up?  What's actually left in the central NJ area?  Because I'd love to support them.  Sportsmen Center & Harry's are both gone, Effingers is gone, even little Behre's is gone.  We're almost at the point where ordering online is the only option around here.  I figured the BPS on the parkway would open eventually, but who knows if that will ever get built.  I buy a lot from TD, but I've never been to their brick and mortar location.  

WHAT???  I loved that place in the old building. I was a kid at one of the spring demo days.  Maybe like 13. Some guy says hey kid check out this Budweiser push button fishing rid. Handed it to me and in looking at it like WTF??? who would buy a beer can looking pushbutton reel combo??? Before I could e an think that far into it a chick in a bid bikini gets on either side of me and they take my pic. I got mad handed it back  and walked away. Didn't think anything of it. Couple weeks later my brothers co worker brought in a flyer, or in fisherman. Something, with that pic as a full page. It was pretty funny after the fact. It's far from me but I used to find reasons to go there. 

It's more than just adapt to the times, though - these older brick and mortar locations just can't compete in a lot of cases.  They're operating on a much smaller scale, so their overhead is higher to begin with, then add in the fact that a lot of online retailers still don't collect sales tax, and can drop ship directly from vendors instead of maintaining inventory, and now what little chance they had of making a profit on a sale has gone out the window when trying to compete with online retailers.

That's life, unfortunately - business models change and companies that are functioning well do get put out of business as a result.  I just think this is one of those instances where there's nothing that could have been done to have prevented the closure.

Was just there a few weeks ago.  They had cut the store in half to make two stores.  I asked if everything was ok and the staff said "just downsizing, we will be here for a long time".  

Shame, I like the guy Bill in fishing.  He would always take the time to talk and explain with everyone.

14 hours ago, Borderline11 said:

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious.  Which smaller shops would you say do a good job and are keeping up?  What's actually left in the central NJ area?  Because I'd love to support them.  Sportsmen Center & Harry's are both gone, Effingers is gone, even little Behre's is gone.  We're almost at the point where ordering online is the only option around here.  I figured the BPS on the parkway would open eventually, but who knows if that will ever get built.  I buy a lot from TD, but I've never been to their brick and mortar location.  

Is that Behre's on Rt.22 in Lebanon NJ ....?