Shipwreck

Bonafide at Edison Saltwater Show

21 posts in this topic

Just heard they will have a SS127 at the Edison Saltwater NMMA Show this weekend.  They will be at the Paddlers Cove booth.

Looks wide, heavy and slow?!?! Is this a new brand? Maybe good for lakes. The chair looks comfortable.

Ever hear the one about the young bull and the old bull standing on the hill?  Fast and skinny is great.  But different 'strokes' for different folks.

I have not tried one yet, but for the back bays, rivers and FW it looks like a very well thought out platform.  Big water chasing Albies?  We will see, but I doubt it.  I will try though, lol.

Lots of little things on this boat that people with a good amount of time-in in the plastic navy will appreciate.

If this site were bluegillsonline the bonafide kayak would be great. But for 99.9% of striper fishing, its a turdball. 

4 hours ago, kross57 said:

If this site were bluegillsonline the bonafide kayak would be great. But for 99.9% of striper fishing, its a turdball. 

I better tell Tim to 86 the freshwater forum.

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

I better tell Tim to 86 the freshwater forum.

There's a freshwater forum? Be my guest. 

It doesn't look like what you'd want if you have to cover water or if you want to surf launch.  The thing has all the design attributes of a largemouth bass boat... it and the WS ATAK look to be just about the same thing.

7 hours ago, kross57 said:

I looked up this kayak. Your comment is a  compliment.

14 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

I looked up this kayak. Your comment is a  compliment.

Coastal guys are gonna buy these things based on how they look on the showroom floor.  They are gonna realize that they just don't work for places like Raritan Bay.  Then they are gonna be struggling to sell them at maybe $1000 by the end of the season.  But some folks just need to learn the lesson themselves.

10 hours ago, kross57 said:

There's a freshwater forum? 

Yep. There is. 

If you are not a FW or a sedge fan that is fine. Great even. 

There are a lot of folks however who are.  So I hope they get a chance to stop by John's booth at the show and say hello to him and check out the new boat!

The problem, as you should know, is that dealers will never tell you this thing is slow as a geriatric turtle and is woefully unsuited to anything but small bodies of water and short trips. That you are trading extreme width and the ability to stand for paddling ease. I mean. just look at Bonafide's whoppers from their website:

"Designed for maximum stability without sacrificing paddling performance"

'If you want to really dig in and cover some distance, the SeatRack™ and foldable seat frame allow quick and quiet conversion to a lower position." 

"A few paddle strokes later will leave you wondering how a kayak this stable and only 12’-7” long paddles and tracks so well."

"Stop paddling, and the next surprise is the smooth and sustained glide."

Hoo boy. Yeah, I get that this is advertising, but when somebody comes on here and starts talking about these kayaks and old bulls and young bulls, there's only one kind of bull that is really flying. Maybe you are trying to help out a buddy. I don't know. The shame of it is, there are kayaks that offer decent compromises that allow you to fish both fresh and saltwater well. This one ain't it.