kenzie

sidescan

68 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Is the only way to get DS and SS to work correctly is too hang it off the side on an arm?  Can either ds or ss shoot through a hull?  I cant have a ducer hanging too low as I fish alot of fw and rivers and get out constantly.

Here’s my set up. 

B7EC8D89-6395-4BD3-9D7F-53DC0F0F3DBA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Is the only way to get DS and SS to work correctly is too hang it off the side on an arm?  Can either ds or ss shoot through a hull?  I cant have a ducer hanging too low as I fish alot of fw and rivers and get out constantly.

I have no real concrete proof but i am almost positive sidescan can only work in water. Downscan works thru hull but in my experience the quality is degraded a fair amount. Downscan shows marks, there just not as defined as if the ducer was in water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobEnglish said:

Here’s my set up. 

B7EC8D89-6395-4BD3-9D7F-53DC0F0F3DBA.jpeg

It may work or you may have to drop ducer a little to clear water line and not risk having your sidescan read hull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

It may work or you may have to drop ducer a little to clear water line and not risk having your sidescan read hull

Been working good so far. 

AF555A06-69B7-4903-9E4A-A256F6249EDD.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, RobEnglish said:

Been working good so far. 

AF555A06-69B7-4903-9E4A-A256F6249EDD.png

Even better. You have no need to drop it down. Looks good. 

Edited by ijuanaspearfish
Comprehension skillz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a garmine echo map SV (has Side Scan), I spoke to a tech at Garmin who mounts transducers, and asked him quite a few questions.

in short, he said with the SS transducer, it needs to be submerged in the water at least 3/8" below the hull. 

I got feed back to back this up from an other kayak shop who sets up for clients and they confirmed, after a hand full of other questions about protecting the transducer, he confirmed the transducer will operate in the said way above and operate through a thin plastic cover such as the Berley pro transducer cover I have on mine, 

 

I mention this because In RobEnglish's photo of setup, he is not protecting it, which is fine, but I wanted to protect it from rocks and beach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kenzie said:

If mounted on the side of the yak, side scan will need to be in the water, below the keel to work properly. if it is mounted on the transom, in the water, with no obstruction to the sides, you should be ok.  If only using a unit with DS, you can shoot through the hull.  There are  many references on how to do this on you tube and on this site.  I did this many years ago on my 21' center console without a problem.  

 

20 hours ago, robmedina said:

SS wont shoot through the hull. You either have to have it mounted externally to get it lower than the kayak or mount it in a transducer port like the one Hobie uses- and get a berley pro adapter which will allow the transducer to sit lower. 

 

18 hours ago, RobEnglish said:

Here’s my set up. 

B7EC8D89-6395-4BD3-9D7F-53DC0F0F3DBA.jpeg

 

17 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

I have no real concrete proof but i am almost positive sidescan can only work in water. Downscan works thru hull but in my experience the quality is degraded a fair amount. Downscan shows marks, there just not as defined as if the ducer was in water.

Thank you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.