kenzie

sidescan

68 posts in this topic

I will be purchasing a fish finder / chart plotter soon.  But I am now considering a side scan unit.  I will be fishing mostly the bays and rivers.  My thought is it might be nice to have in unfamiliar waters for finding structure, but other than that, is it worth the added expense?  Anybody on this sight use side scan?

I upgraded to a new Lowrance unit last year that has sidescan. I have not found it to be as useful as I hoped - possibly because I have a transom mounted transducer and the skeg blocks part of the signal, even when trimmed up. I do think the sonar and chirp on the new totalscan transducers is excellent however, so no complaints. I have heard sidescan is more effective with 2 through-hull transducers (not something I'm interested in).

I just installed the side scan transducer this year. Looking forward to all the new information it provides. 

F8061E09-42F1-4556-9E49-2950F7E8398A.png

383847D9-C9EF-4DC7-B336-5DB52059495D.png

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, kenzie said:

I will be purchasing a fish finder / chart plotter soon.  But I am now considering a side scan unit.  I will be fishing mostly the bays and rivers.  My thought is it might be nice to have in unfamiliar waters for finding structure, but other than that, is it worth the added expense?  Anybody on this sight use side scan?

I use side imaging from Humminbird.  I cant speak for any other unit other than that one.  

If you fish mudflats , sandy beaches, places with minimal boulders, trees and other structure the side imaging will shine.   Active  fish come up as white hot streaks on the screen.  If fish are  glued to the bottom there will be no dark shadow beneath.  If fish are suspened off the bottom you will see a white hot streak and shadow.  How far the shadow is away , is how high the fish are in the water column.   If you dont show hot streaks and just shadows?  The fish are at or near the surface...if its striped bass you will be surrounded by boils, spooks and splashes.

This unit shines in under 20’.  If you are not a shallow water angler side imaging may not help you as much as the shallows.  Just my opinon.  When you are scanning heavy boulder fields and kelp?  You can get false readings.  I turn the sensitivity down and that can help...but hands down on open shallow water side imaging rules. 

For me its worth it.  It has fine tuned my  game. Maybe it might fine tune yours. 

Edited by The Riddler

I don’t have a kayak any more, I’ve gone to the dark side and bought a boat but I recently upgraded the boat to a sidescan unit (Hook2 Tripleshot).  After using it a few times, I wish I had one when I had the kayak.  To be able to “see” what is going on left and right of you can save you some serious time and energy in paddling / peddling while locating fish or structure to fish.  As Rob said, he is looking forward to the information it will provide, you can never have enough info!

Posted (edited)

I should have my side imaging model installed this weekend. I am looking forward to "seeing" what is out there now. The only thing I do not want to see on it is the tax man lol!

shark on side scan.JPG

Edited by robmedina

I’ve read that the only difference between down scan and side scan is that with side scan you get an image of both right and left rather than just one with the down scan. Is that true that this is the only difference other than price.

4 hours ago, robmedina said:

I should have my side imaging model installed this weekend. I am looking forward to "seeing" what is out there now. The only thing I do not want to see on it is the tax man lol!

shark on side scan.JPG

What a clear mark! What did you mark that with?

1 min ago, msabella17 said:

What a clear mark! What did you mark that with?

LOL I got that image from google- I do not want to see that!

15 mins ago, msabella17 said:

I’ve read that the only difference between down scan and side scan is that with side scan you get an image of both right and left rather than just one with the down scan. Is that true that this is the only difference other than price.

That is correct.  You can get images out to 100' or more to either side.  It depends on the settings of the unit.  I'm sure there are other factors involved.  The rep at Bass pro told me that you cannot mark fish using the sidescan.  It is primarily for finding structure.  However, he did indicate, that as you get familiar with the unit, you will see marks on the screen that do not look like fish in the traditional sense, but may well be fish.  Somebody here I'm sure will clarify that.

Just now, kenzie said:

That is correct.  You can get images out to 100' or more to either side.  It depends on the settings of the unit.  I'm sure there are other factors involved.  The rep at Bass pro told me that you cannot mark fish using the sidescan.  It is primarily for finding structure.  However, he did indicate, that as you get familiar with the unit, you will see marks on the screen that do not look like fish in the traditional sense, but may well be fish.  Somebody here I'm sure will clarify that.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve heard from guys on here and watched videos that sidescan get Mark fish better than anything else. You just need to be able to read it correctly, paying close attention to the shadow of the mark and where it is in the water column 

I think when you add in DS and sonar you will be able to get a cleare picture of what is down there.  Have you watched that video of the guy marking schools of catfish in a lake? I guess after awhile you will be confident on one technology enough to not have to be dependent on 3. 

My unit comes today, I will hopefully be able to get out this weekend, or the next at the latest to really start using it. I am excited!

2 mins ago, robmedina said:

I think when you add in DS and sonar you will be able to get a cleare picture of what is down there.  Have you watched that video of the guy marking schools of catfish in a lake? I guess after awhile you will be confident on one technology enough to not have to be dependent on 3. 

My unit comes today, I will hopefully be able to get out this weekend, or the next at the latest to really start using it. I am excited!

I have watched the catfish video, think I just need to decide if I want to spend the extra 100 bucks for side scan or if I’ll be happy with DownScan and other features. Have asked plenty of guys who don’t use sidescan, like John skinner who absolutely crushes fish and are happy without it. Of course John as a lot more experience, I’m sure he could go out without a fish finder and still catch 40lb fish 

If I had a good method to mount that giant ducer to my inflatable, I would get side scan in a heartbeat. Marking fish/structure to either side is a no brainer...but mapping and knowing where you are in relation to the structure you're fishing? Being able to set up up/down/left/right to a rock pile and cast into it, rather than backing off the piece of structure then eyeballing where it is...amazing.