RudyH2O

Artificials seem to be much preferred over bait. True?

46 posts in this topic

I plan to use mostly bait when surf casting, but I see that artificials seem to be where the main interest is among North East surf casters. Is that true? I'd like to see more coverage of bait fishing techniques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, I do most of my fishing with artificials, but bait has an important role in surf fishing and I'd like to see more coverage about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

It can be more of a challenge and more fun, having bass crush a topwater popper is the best feeling

dito:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, recoil said:

Plugs don't smell!

And you don't have to drive halfway to the moon to find them, catch them, and keep them alive.  Everything is a challenge, but do whatever pleases you.  But don't forget that live bait is always the best. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Bait fishing is my first love and I fish bait like I fish artificials most of the time unless I’m on them. I hold my rod no spike and I fish and move covering a lot of ground. My fishing has progressed now later in my life I enjoy fishing artificials and the challenge but if I’m hunting big fish I always find myself grabbing my bait rod.  

Edited by hydraman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Maybe artificials is where member interest is in this forum, but on many of the beaches and piers I fish at I see mostly bait anglers. Some of these spots I'm at don't have the current or depth to be successful with artificials. I've seen people try and except for the spring schoolies and bluefish, it rarely works at these spots.

That said, this season I'm going to work these spots with needlefish and slow retrieved pikies and dannys at night to see if I can prove myself wrong. 

There are some spots that are difficult to use bait in and I imagine that's where it's a pragmatic choice. For example, I fish at an inlet near a bridge for fluke and stripers and the current makes it impossible to fish with bait there. It's all about jigs, spoons, and soft plastic. Drifting soft plastic under the bridge kills it at night in the fall at this particular spot. 

Edited by TroutGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, hydraman said:

Bait fishing is my first love and I fish bait like I fish artificials most of the time unless I’m on them. I hold my rod no spike and I fish and move covering a lot of ground. My fishing has progressed now later in my life I enjoy fishing artificials and the challenge but if I’m hunting big fish I always find myself grabbing my bait rod.  

 

Hydraman,

 

That's the way I think about it too. One thing that I'll add is that I've been using artificials so long that bait is like a new frontier. I've been using bait all along, but now I want to learn what its limits are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RudyH2O said:

I see that artificials seem to be where the main interest is among North East surf casters. Is that true?

I often find fishing with bait, either freshwater or saltwater, to be limiting.

 

Probably 90% of the time I fish with artificials. However, you can't argue with the success of using shiners for lakers, 'bows or salmon or using live eels for stripers.

 

I have zero desire to fish chunk bait. Throwing out a couple of rods with chunks then just sitting there staring at them, hoping for a hit, has no appeal to me. I'd rather run & gun a stretch of shoreline, casting lures, trying to find the fish and what they're feeding on.

 

Bait fishing, can often times, be the wrong method. I was fishing Wachusett reservoir a few years ago. A couple of guys set up a way too wide spread of shiner rods, blocking off casting access to some good fishing. For the first few hours of the morning, while they just sat there staring at their rods, salmon were breaking on top about 60 yards out. At one point, I squeezed in between one of their too far apart rods to cast to the breaking fish but they got all pissed at me so I went back to casting to the side of them. I eventually got hits and some fish while they just sat there staring at their rods, completely not adjusting to the fishing conditions, letting a good opportunity go to waste.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

 

Bait is boring...... there, I said it. 

And I caught more fish in a season strictly bait fishing then I have using artificials.  Gave up bait & wait and sold everything, more exercise plugging, more entertaining, just less success at least for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I often find fishing with bait, either freshwater or saltwater, to be limiting.

 

Probably 90% of the time I fish with artificials. However, you can't argue with the success of using shiners for lakers, 'bows or salmon or using live eels for stripers.

 

I have zero desire to fish chunk bait. Throwing out a couple of rods with chunks then just sitting there staring at them, hoping for a hit, has no appeal to me. I'd rather run & gun a stretch of shoreline, casting lures, trying to find the fish and what they're feeding on.

 

Bait fishing, can often times, be the wrong method. I was fishing Wachusett reservoir a few years ago. A couple of guys set up a way too wide spread of shiner rods, blocking off casting access to some good fishing. For the first few hours of the morning, while they just sat there staring at their rods, salmon were breaking on top about 60 yards out. At one point, I squeezed in between one of their too far apart rods to cast to the breaking fish but they got all pissed at me so I went back to casting to the side of them. I eventually got hits and some fish while they just sat there staring at their rods, completely not adjusting to the fishing conditions, letting a good opportunity go to waste.

I can't stand this. I always fished bait in the past. Just because a guy bought 10 rods doesn't mean he owns 300 yards of beach. Keep em close together or be ready for me to cast in between them. How I feel anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does snag & drop count as bait fishing?  If so I have to retract an earlier statement.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.