The Fishing Nerd

Does anyone still fish for squid on LI?

44 posts in this topic

the bluefish in spring usually come in on the heels of the squid (May moon) so yes squid are here

only time i fish for them is when offshore in the hopes of converting a live squid into a Tuna

13 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Squid are around for sure.  I went for them about 2 weeks ago with a friend and we had no problem putting about 50 in a bucket in no time at all.. 

Never went squid fishing before. Didn't realize it was so fun and easy.

Was it same as usual, in the night time with bright light???

Or did you go on the boat?

2 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Was it same as usual, in the night time with bright light???

Or did you go on the boat?

At night off a pier with a home made squid light and a few yo-zuri squid jigs... 20180417_204336.thumb.jpg.d58d2fcc161b4407fab4bc05dbc1c8a2.jpg

19 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

At night off a pier with a home made squid light and a few yo-zuri squid jigs... 20180417_204336.thumb.jpg.d58d2fcc161b4407fab4bc05dbc1c8a2.jpg

That is a very interesting light

Home made?

Looks like a couple of glowing sticks

Interesting.

38 mins ago, Popasilov said:

That is a very interesting light

Home made?

Looks like a couple of glowing sticks

Interesting.

20180531_224443.thumb.jpg.be71d5154df31ac8837ee5d3be328970.jpgYes. I made them myself... I saw some squid lights available online and they didn't look all that complicated to make.  So I ordered some LED lights, cut some plastic tubes to length, and made them water tight with some 3M 5200. Each one gets weighted at the bottom with a sinker.. I can run 3 tubes (15000 lumens each), for about 5 hours, off of a $20 SLA battery that I use for my kayak Fishfinder... although we didn't need all 3 tubes. 1 tube was more than sufficient and made the whole end of the pier glow green..

There were some other people out there running small generators with white halogen spotlights.. they were not having nearly as much success as we were. They seemed pretty amazed at how many squid we were pulling up so quickly. 

Thanks Guru

I may just try to make one of those.

I have few batteries from Barbie power wheels

I also have about 30 feet LED stripe that was left over from one of the jobs.

All I need is some tubing.

Thanks a lot

21 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Thanks Guru

I may just try to make one of those.

I have few batteries from Barbie power wheels

I also have about 30 feet LED stripe that was left over from one of the jobs.

All I need is some tubing.

Thanks a lot

Maybe I can make that project a bit easier for you and give you my process...

MATERIALS (I made 3 lights)

- 3 strips of 300 x 5630 Led's  (1 for each light) cost around  $5 each online from china..

- 1 length of 3/4 pvc pipe (home depot)

- 1 8' fluorescent bulb protector (home depot)

- 1 1/4 pvc end caps.. (2 for each light)

- a pack of PG9 Black Plastic Waterproof Cable Gland Connectors Joints 4-8mm (a 10 set pack was $1.45 from china)

- A cheap as I could find Wal-Mart extension cord

- A tube of 3m 5200 through hull sealant

- A pack of small stainless steel screw eyes

Starting about 3 inches up, I wrapped the LED strip around the 3/4" pc pipe.. then cut the pipe off 3 inches after the wrap... I drilled holes in the pipe at each wire end and ran my wires up the inside...

My pvc pieces wound up measuring about 25" so I cut the bulb protector tube at the same length.. 

I drilled a pin hole in one end cap and screwed in 1 stainless eye.. then gooped on a generous amount of 5200 sealant.. enough so the pvc pipe would sit in it and hold it's centered position in the tube.. then slide it on the tube and tape it in place tightly while the 5200 dries (24 hrs)..

Then I put the pipe with the LEDs in the tube and sat it in the blob of 5200 at the bottom (that's why I left 3 inch ends on my pvc pipe)

Then I drilled a hole to fit the cable gland in the other end cap, gooped it up with 5200, and assembled the cable gland.. then wired through the gland with a cut off end of the extension cord.. wired up the LEDs... gooped the s#*t out of the inside of the cap and the gland/wire connection... then slide the cap on the tube, tape it in place tightly, and try to center the pipe so the LEDs aren't pressed against the wall of the tube.. (I found that leaving the outside of the cable gland open while pressing on the second cap let air out of the tube so the cap didn't just pop off from air pressure..)

Then tighten up the cable gland on the outside and cut the extension cord to your desired length..

The tubes hold air and will float if un-weighted... So I attach a sinker the the stainless eye with a piece of mono.. different weights will allow you to control how deep it sits (fishing from boat or pier) ..

Probably took 10 minutes to complete each light.. then let them dry overnight in an upright position so the LEDs stay relatively centered while the 5200 sets up and holds them in place..

I hope this helps.  And good luck.. 

This is a great help.

Thanks again.

Project for tonight

On 6/2/2018 at 2:15 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

- 3 strips of 300 x 5630 Led's  (1 for each light) cost around  $5 each online from china..

- a pack of PG9 Black Plastic Waterproof Cable Gland Connectors Joints 4-8mm (a 10 set pack was $1.45 from china)

Starting about 3 inches up, I wrapped the LED strip around the 3/4" pc pipe.. then cut the pipe off 3 inches after the wrap... I drilled holes in the pipe at each wire end and ran my wires up the inside...

My pvc pieces wound up measuring about 25" so I cut the bulb protector tube at the same length.. 

I drilled a pin hole in one end cap and screwed in 1 stainless eye.. then gooped on a generous amount of 5200 sealant.. enough so the pvc pipe would sit in it and hold it's centered position in the tube.. then slide it on the tube and tape it in place tightly while the 5200 dries (24 hrs)..

Then I put the pipe with the LEDs in the tube and sat it in the blob of 5200 at the bottom (that's why I left 3 inch ends on my pvc pipe)

Then I drilled a hole to fit the cable gland in the other end cap, gooped it up with 5200, and assembled the cable gland.. then wired through the gland with a cut off end of the extension cord.. wired up the LEDs... gooped the s#*t out of the inside of the cap and the gland/wire connection... then slide the cap on the tube, tape it in place tightly, and try to center the pipe so the LEDs aren't pressed against the wall of the tube.. (I found that leaving the outside of the cable gland open while pressing on the second cap let air out of the tube so the cap didn't just pop off from air pressure..)

Then tighten up the cable gland on the outside and cut the extension cord to your desired length..

The tubes hold air and will float if un-weighted... So I attach a sinker the the stainless eye with a piece of mono.. different weights will allow you to control how deep it sits (fishing from boat or pier) ..

Probably took 10 minutes to complete each light.. then let them dry overnight in an upright position so the LEDs stay relatively centered while the 5200 sets up and holds them in place..

That's really cool - I did something similar for my boat, but I didn't realize that Home Depot carried clear PVC tubing - was that in the plumbing section or somewhere else?  I paid quite a bit more to get aluminum channeling that's not quite waterproof.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

That's really cool - I did something similar for my boat, but I didn't realize that Home Depot carried clear PVC tubing - was that in the plumbing section or somewhere else?  I paid quite a bit more to get aluminum channeling that's not quite waterproof.

You can find 4' and 8' lengths in the lighting section 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

23 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

You can find 4' and 8' lengths in the lighting section 

Thanks!  I'm going to go track some down right now.

On 6/2/2018 at 2:15 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

This is a lot of information about squid catching.. thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure they are still here in that people are not actively targeting them at night, where we usually target them in October.

11 mins ago, JillJillu said:

This is a lot of information about squid catching.. thank you for sharing.

:howdy:     I hope you get some use from it