The Fishing Nerd

Does anyone still fish for squid on LI?

44 posts in this topic

I used to get a kick out of it when I was a kid - hit the docks behind the railroad in April sometime, bring a light with you and some squid jigs, and turn up a small bucket of decent sized squid.

Haven't seen anyone fishing like that in awhile.  I know they still do out in RI and other parts in NE, but is anyone still fishing for squid from shore on LI?

They may be still around

I have seen few guys with big lights around.

You just give me idea

I may have some calamari for late dinner

Either fresh or frozen from ShopRite

One way or another.

This is something I would love to do.  I used to fish the smelt run in the Nissequogue when I was a kid.  Never saw them after 1971.  I don't know where or when or how on the squid.  I heard that Greenport has a run.  Can anybody pass along some basics to get a guy started?

Very easy

Get a squid jig, light reel, 5lb line and light rod, 6 or 7 feet is fine

You will need strong light and start fishing after sundown.

Best place may be piers and/or docking where they come to lay eggs during mating season, i think Nov to April

Point a light down at the water and work jig up and down.

That would be basic stuff

Squid jigs are easy to find, almost any tackle shop has them

Something like this

Squid Jig.jpg

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I may have some calamari for late dinner

Either fresh or frozen from ShopRite

One way or another.

Change of hearts, lol

Went to local pier; wind was not so bad; turned my light ON and few seconds after while I was getting jig, POOF,  bulb just died.

after that I wasn't in the mood for calamari any more.

Its nice to be in warm house

49 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Sorry folks... NFW your getting squid on LI in March .. certainly not after the deep freeze we had in Jan

Yeah, way too early.  As I mentioned in my OP, I remember April (particularly late April) as being when the run started.

The fishing's not complicated - a light and some squid jigs.  They're very light hitters as I recall, could barely tell there was anything down there.

I just don't know if there's any squid left inshore on LI.  Hell, I remember when people used to catch whiting from the shore, and I haven't seen one of those bastards in years boat or otherwise.

1 hour ago, mtksurfer said:

I see guys in my area with huge spotlights fishing my local waters Nov- January. 

Huge they are

It could light up football field.

Lol

Actually funny and true.

Most times I "mooch"  off someone's light.. guys bring mini inverters with spotlights... 

One night pretty late, the tide was right and nobody was around so I whipped out the led lantern and came up with a skunk.

The light is important to attract the baitfish and my lil Sharper Image lantern was not doing it !

Stay warm

On 3/13/2018 at 10:10 AM, The Fishing Nerd said:

I used to get a kick out of it when I was a kid - hit the docks behind the railroad in April sometime, bring a light with you and some squid jigs, and turn up a small bucket of decent sized squid.

Haven't seen anyone fishing like that in awhile.  I know they still do out in RI and other parts in NE, but is anyone still fishing for squid from shore on LI?

Sure, but shore access has tightened up.  

28 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Sure, but shore access has tightened up.  

Yes, but I own a full complement of tactical turtlenecks and black skimasks.

All kidding aside - the one place I remember going as a kid on the North Fork is still publicly accessible.  I just haven't been there at that time of year at night recently.  I guess I'll have to swing by and check it out.

The one upside - back in the day, fishing that way meant huge sealed beam headlights from a junkyard and a car battery.  Now, I'm pretty sure a couple of LED tubes and a battery pack will get the job done.

2 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

All kidding aside - the one place I remember going as a kid on the North Fork is still publicly accessible.  .

Manhattan guys used to come by train just for the squid fishing there.

I think it was a big article in Times few years ago how whole train smells like squid on the way back to city.