Ed Z

Advice needed: Sequoia or 4runner for hauling kayak, beach driving, and interior rod/lure storage

29 posts in this topic

No one mentioned it, but I carry a small fire extinguisher too. Saw a guy in an Explorer whose  altenator caugth on fire and another guy pulled up with an extinguisher to put it out. If there were no extinguisher I'm sure the guy's Explorer would have been toast (no pun intended)

22 hours ago, Ed Z said:

It sounds like the extra room in a Sequoia would come in handy.

My 4Runner, only thing missing is a tote for waders.  Not much room for passengers though, front seat only.

DSC04309.JPG

22 hours ago, Ed Z said:

Is there a website or master list somewhere of air-up stations on eastern Long Island?

I don't know of one, but it's a great idea.

There are air stations, maintained by LIBBA, at Robert Moses, Smith Point County Park, Cupsogue, and Shagwong. I don't recall if there are any at Hither Hills.  Guys?

15 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

My 4Runner, only thing missing is a tote for waders.  Not much room for passengers though, front seat only.

DSC04309.JPG

And that's your tradeoff.  Lose the rear seat, you have enough room.  Otherwise you don't.  

Since that pic, granddaughters car seat goes in the back, rods go in a front receiver, stuff gets stacked, but then it's hard to fish with a 2 year old running the beach.   :)

2 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

DSC04309.JPG

Wow, that's one clean buggy. My pathy don't look like that on a good day. Where are the sand? salt stain?

3 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

DSC04309.JPG

What are those rod holders?

4 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Rodmounts brand Rod Loft Pro.  Since discontinued but they have a newer model - Rod-Up I believe

6 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

x2 ?? look nice! (as does the vehicle... same comment here.. my 4runner doesn't look that neat before my gear goes in :) )

I ordered some (different brand, obviously) and returned them

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I don't know of one, but it's a great idea.

There are air stations, maintained by LIBBA, at Robert Moses, Smith Point County Park, Cupsogue, and Shagwong. I don't recall if there are any at Hither Hills.  Guys?

I checked a few web sites and saw no mention of a hither hills air station. 

Anothet one I know of is Shinnecock East

6 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

DSC04309.JPG

Wow! My car has never looked that clean and organized. 

C8275893-5A58-4C67-90A8-1684EA9BA2A2.thumb.jpeg.216d9b1d091ed59507e26480490506c7.jpeg

Darth Baiter, it looks like your 4runner's rear seats can lie flush with the back.  Is that correct?  I don't think mine (2004) will lie that flat. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Darth Baiter, it looks like your 4runner's rear seats can lie flush with the back.  Is that correct?  I don't think mine (2004) will lie that flat. 

Mine is a gen 5, the back seat bottoms lift up and the back uprights fold down.  You can see the pull straps for the back bottoms just beyond my totes.  There is a slight rise from the cargo area to the folded down back seats.