Advice needed: Sequoia or 4runner for hauling kayak, beach driving, and interior rod/lure storage

Ed Z

Hoping for some advice/thoughts:

Currently have an Infiniti JX35. I can store 7 rods and multiple milk crates of tackle securely. Have an inflatable kayak that also fits inside.

While I can take it on hard packed sand, the low clearance and no 4x4 makes real beach driving not possible. It also has an antennae square in the middle of the back roof so roof loading of a kayak not likely. 

I'm also hoping to upgrade to a better kayak this year, potentially a Hobie Outback.

I read through Consumer Reports and picked these 2 vehicles (4runner and sequoia) as likely options because of resale value and reliability. 

Because I will use it only for beach/fishing/kayaking, (basically a fun vehicle), I don't want to spend a pile of cash. I'm thinking a vehicle with 140K miles or so should be fine? What would be the upper limit on milage or age you would recommend before the likelihood of yearly issues becomes a problem?

The massive amount of room in the sequoia would be nice, but, I'm also thinking about the joys of lifting a 80+ pound kayak onto the roof by myself. The sequoia is almost a foot higher off the ground.

Can I assume something like a Thule Hullavator would make the process of loading/unloading reasonably quick? If its a 20 minute process I'm less likely to take the kayak out if I only have 2 hours to fish on a given day/night.

Any clear advantages of either vehicle for my intended use?

I considered getting a truck like a Tacoma or Tundra (tossing a kayak in the bed is much easier than loading on a roof), but my concern would be secure rod and tackle storage out of the elements. Some nights I switch between the ocean, jetty, sound, and back bays depending on wind, tide, current, bait, etc so its nice to have several rods securely stored and always ready to go. 

Can a 9 or 10 foot one piece rod fit inside a 4-runner? I was thinking of getting the Rodmounts rod-up system. Does anyone currently, alone, load a 80+ pound kayak on the roof of either, and if so, what have you found to make this a less painful process?

Is there anything else I should be taking into account?

Thanks in advance for help/advice. 

Had an 2008 Sequoia, lost it in Sandy.  Have a 2010 4Runner now.  Used a Yakima Showboat on the Sequoia to load a Hobie Outfitter - 85 lbs.  Currently using the Showboat and another Yakima system on the 4Runner.  If you can afford the Hulavator go for it - make sure it's the one sized for an Outback.  Turn 67 this month, the Outfitter is getting heavy.  Had a Rod Loft Pro in both trucks.  With some custom hangers I could get an 11'4" one-piece in the Sequoia, best I tried in the 4Runner is an 8', everything I own now is 2-piece.  Loved the Sequoia, the 08 was the 1st year of the latest gen.  Had a 99 Expedition before and the Sequoia was so much nicer, powerful, ride, etc.  Had a Thule cargo box on the Sequoia for winter ski trips, that and the 3rd row seat was awesome.  Looked for Sequoia's after Sandy - to much $$$$$$$$$$$$.  Resale is great on both, try to get an 08 Seq or newer.

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

Thank you Darth and Brian. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either choice. Nothing I own over 10' is a 1 piece so I should be ok.

It looks like on newer vehicles there is a big difference in price, which gets much smaller once you are over 120K in miles. Any issues or things to inspect closely on the higher milage vehicles?

Aside from automatic tire deflators, should I have anything else on my must-buy list?

Curt makes a front receiver hitch for both models.  The Seq is easier to install than the 4Runner but requires you to remove it in order to drop the skid pan for an oil filter change.  Sux doing that on your back by yourself, get a cheap floor jack, hitch is heavy.  Weathertech or Husky floor and cargo liners.  Wetokole seat covers, had/have on both.  I did an electrical mod on the Seq so I could run the fogs by themselves or even with high beams on.  Turns out the DRL's cast just enough light to drive the beach at night, the DRL's are switchable at least they were on the 08 and are on the 4Runner.  Surf through the Sequoia and 4Runner owners forums for more info.  Good Luck   

Beach driving requires at least 5 things to bring along:

1, A Jack.

2. A board, or something sufficient to place under the jack to keep it from sinking into the sand when jacking the vehicle.

3. A tire air pressure gauge able to read low pressure <20 lbs.

4. A tow rope or chain.

5. A shovel. full sized is best, but a shortie is better than none.

I would also add things like a set of Jumper cables, a portable air compressor, or bottle in case the pumps are not working, a tire plug/patch kit.

It could all fit in a tote, except for the shovel.

I have a 07 4Runner, and at times I wish it was bigger, but mostly it does the job. On the sand, aired down to 14-15, it is never an issue, just floats along in 4 hi and with the transmission pulled down into 1st or 2nd gear keeps my speed down, and revs up a little..

Temp gauge never moves.

Edited by dena

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

I don't know where you are, but NYS and Suffolk County NY, between them, require jumper cables, a porta-potty and a fire extinguisher as well as everything Dena specified above. Potable water and extra antifreeze or premixed coolant is nice, and a hose for those air pumps maintained by LIBBA for reflating tires, are also necessities. And flashlights. Paranoia is preparation. 

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I don't know where you are, but NYS and Suffolk County NY, between them, require jumper cables, a porta-potty and a fire extinguisher as well as everything Dena specified above. Potable water and extra antifreeze or premixed coolant is nice, and a hose for those air pumps maintained by LIBBA for reflating tires, are also necessities. And flashlights. Paranoia is preparation. 

Never heard of the porta potty requirement, but it makes sense.

I only go on National Seashore beaches, Hatteras, and Assateague Island, and my list is what they require.

You have to be aware of any local regs, for sure.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Each beach permit may have similar and/or additional items.  No port a potty or jumper cables on IBSP but they do require a full size spare and most of the items already mentioned including garbage bags and a first aid kit.  Most requirements can be found on-line.  Make sure you have a salt water registry for your location.