Ed Z

Advice needed for GPS Chartplotter + Fishfinder around $1500

19 posts in this topic

I mostly surf cast. My friend is an older gentleman with a 1985 Grady 23' that I've finally convinced to put electronics on the boat. He's not a big spender, so the total cost including transducer needs to be around $1500.

I've been reading the forum as well as manufacturers web sites (can be confusing). Its hard to get a true understanding of what some of the units do and don't do. 

I'm hoping the experts here can provide some badly needed advice or recommendations!

He does not need radar capability, since boat is heading out of 3-Mile Harbor in EH and will not be heading far offshore.

While I would love the autopilot feature to make drifts easier, I don't see him paying the additional money for this feature.

So, unit would have to have a GPS Chartplotter so we can use it to head to structure we see on the maps. Should be able to drop and save pins, when we find new structure or catch fish on a spot. 

We'd likely never fish water deeper than 120 feet. From what I can determine, we want the unit to have Chirp, sidescan, and downscan to get the best possible picture of what is happening beneath the boat?

I thought I read some units can save the sonar map, as you drift, to a card, so you can load it into your computer to get an accurate 3-d representation of what is there? I also thought I read you can upload and share those sonar maps with others, and download ones they've uploaded? This sounds like a great way to get the most accurate charts?

Obviously the bigger screen the better, but if $1500 is the budget I'm assuming 9" is the size he'd wind up with? 

Is there anything else that should be considered or that I am missing? Any recommendations? 

Thank you in advance!

I don't see the need for CHIRP.  If you were fishing the edge or beyond in real deep water, then yes.

A lot of stuff out there with that budget.

Thanks, that helps. I used to have electronics 10 years ago on my bass boat but everything has changed so much since then, reading the specs and the manufacturers web sites seems geared towards physicists not the average person trying to determine what they need and don't need. And if he doesn't need chirp those dollars could go towards a larger screen size.  

You might want to look at the Lowrance Elite Ti series w/Total Scan + a Navionics chip. It's a stripped down version of the HDS. I switched over from separate Garmin + Furuno units last year and have been happy. I still prefer the maps on the Garmin, but it's a good compromise since the Lowrance sonar is superior IMO. It has a lot of other gizmos that I have not found to be particularly useful when actually fishing, but the mapping is fast and I really like the sonar. Also fairly easy to use...so it ticks the boxes for me.

Simrad go series you should look into and the packages come with a all in one transducer . I have the evo3 system and was going to get a go series as back up i think the 9 inch is $1300 but it won't talk to my evo3 so i have to save up another grand . 

Look it up simrad is easy to use as far as setting waypoints and routes compared to others 

I'd go to a Marine Electronics store and get a first hand look at the available units.  In that price range you can get some pretty nifty stuff these days that will more than fill the bill.  Good luck.  Wish I had that problem.

Thank you everyone, this is great info, I appreciate it! 

So far based on recommendations, looks like choices for a 9" screen are

- Lowrance Elie 9TI with totalscan transducer and CMap Insight Pro charts. $929

- Simrad GO9 XSE with totalscan transducer and Navionics+ charts. $1299

- Garmin 94SV Echomap plus with Chirp, ClearVu, and SideVu transducer, Bluechart G2 charts. $1099

Bumping to a 12" screen which would be nice, looks like it adds over $1K to the cost :(

Welcome to my world . I bought the 12 inch simrad evo3 with the 4g radar that came with the transducer . Now i like it so much i want to get a 9 inch and get rid of my furuno fcv587 and 1k transducer . I don't have anything to do with simrad but they have a Great Product . I believe Simrad, Lowrance, Raymarine and B&G are the same company . I could be wrong 

Is anyone running a second fish finder on the stern where you fish from? I’m wondering if you can’t see the main unit from where you fish, if that would make sense. Can it share the same transducer assuming you get same brand as main unit?

22 hours ago, Ed Z said:

Thank you everyone, this is great info, I appreciate it! 

So far based on recommendations, looks like choices for a 9" screen are

- Lowrance Elie 9TI with totalscan transducer and CMap Insight Pro charts. $929

- Simrad GO9 XSE with totalscan transducer and Navionics+ charts. $1299

- Garmin 94SV Echomap plus with Chirp, ClearVu, and SideVu transducer, Bluechart G2 charts. $1099

Bumping to a 12" screen which would be nice, looks like it adds over $1K to the cost :(

Check out the BOE site.  They have a 12" Garmin MFD for $1300  may cost you another $2-300 for a good tilted element ducer but in you ballpark

Posted (edited)

20 mins ago, Ed Z said:

Is anyone running a second fish finder on the stern where you fish from? I’m wondering if you can’t see the main unit from where you fish, if that would make sense. Can it share the same transducer assuming you get same brand as main unit?

I have seen setups that you describe, some boats are setup with the helm screen mounted high in a upper t-top box, unless your boat is very larger you should be able to see enough from the stern with 9" or 12" screen.  As far as compatibility, I have an original 94sv and that can not share transducers or information with another unit, not sure about the plus version.  I also have a 840XS and that like many other units can share data via a NMEA connection or a garmin network.  

Edited by ferret

I was pretty impressed with a friends Humminbird Helix, and you can get a 12" right in your budget.

36 mins ago, ferret said:

who's doing the install?  is that part of the $1500?

I want him to order the unit first without factoring in the price of the install or he will want to get a 4” screen :angel:

im assuming a bracket and install by a boat yard would run $200 or so?

Thanks for the additional info guys I appreciate it. Spring is almost here, starting to get antsy.