bassturds

April fishing advice

34 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Just curious, what heavier set ups are you bringing for grouper?

I got an 8’foot rod designed for muskie fishing  rated 2-10 ounce lures! It’s a baitcasting rod! Have 50 or maybe 65 braid on there! I use it for saltwater striper fishing!  I have 60lb mono I plan on bringing! 

Thank you for the info! 

I have all those things you covered! 

2 hours ago, bassturds said:

I got an 8’foot rod designed for muskie fishing  rated 2-10 ounce lures! It’s a baitcasting rod! Have 50 or maybe 65 braid on there! I use it for saltwater striper fishing!  I have 60lb mono I plan on bringing! 

Thank you for the info! 

I have all those things you covered! 

That musky rod will work.

I actually use a musky rod myself when I am after smaller grouper and big snook. It is a 2 piece 9ft Tackle Industries MH paired to a Komodo 471SS. The rod has excellent flex too it which helps when fighting really powerful fish.

Of course, when I head to Florida I also pack some much much heavier gear. But, that Komodo 471SS with the 9ft Tackle Industries rod handles about 90% of all inshore fishing duty.

22 hours ago, Bfishes333 said:

Rule of thumb;

If you are fishing a freshwater area assume there is at least one gator around. 

Excellent point.

To add to that, don't take a nap beside a freshwater body of water.  A gator could be watching and you may look tasty.  Fishermen have disappeared and its assumed they fell asleep.

Watch for gator nests.  If you disturb a gators nest, she will disturb you.  According to University of Florida research, courtship is usually around April, mating usually May & June then nesting occurs.

Posted (edited)

25 mins ago, kayak99 said:

Watch for gator nests.  If you disturb a gators nest, she will disturb you.  According to University of Florida research, courtship is usually around April, mating usually May & June then nesting occurs.

A friend and I were kayaking a lake 2 years ago in May in the Tampa area... we watched a gator come out of the woods and enter the water, didn't think anything of it. It swam right up to my friends kayak and rested it's head on the bow. We both sat there motionless for what felt like an hour....in reality it was a solid 5 minutes. It slid back off the kayak and disappeared. 

I was told afterwards that there was a nest in the woods and they get VERY territorial and aggressive. 

Edited by BeachBum818

Posted (edited)

They are very territorial.  Often you'll see them fighting other gators on golf courses.  Could be another reason he sat looking at you.  Although illegal, people feed the gators, usually marshmallows, so they come looking.  Airboat operators are notorious for this as it entertains their clients.

If you look at the photo to the left, under my name, this was taken on a canal off the Tamiami Trail a few years back.  As we motored thru in a Gheenoe, hundreds of gators came from the banks to the center of this canal to check us out.  We did not stop nor feed any and none bothered us.

Respect the gators and you'll be fine.

Edited by kayak99

yep im aware of the gators, kinda excited to see one. didnt know that there mating season is in april. oh boy. ill get my distance from the gators
i wont be wading in freshwater like i do up here in New England.

Posted (edited)

Tamiami Trail, few years back they was having a BMW riders get together  at Southern Cross Hotel,Key West  Wife and I said looks good, off we go, we got where  I-75 went left into Miami and we went ahead on  Hwy  41 was zipping along and Wife starts seeing a these Gators at first I thought she was BS then I slow down some and i see these rascals,, this road is also Known as  Gator Alley, thankfully none was on the road, I was told at Night they do crawl out onto hwy and stay warm,didnt go home that way 

This was about the time they closed  "Hooters""

Edited by Al Sears

Posted (edited)

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 0:55 PM, Al Sears said:

Tamiami Trail, few years back they was having a BMW riders get together  at Southern Cross Hotel,Key West  Wife and I said looks good, off we go, we got where  I-75 went left into Miami and we went ahead on  Hwy  41 was zipping along and Wife starts seeing a these Gators at first I thought she was BS then I slow down some and i see these rascals,, this road is also Known as  Gator Alley, thankfully none was on the road, I was told at Night they do crawl out onto hwy and stay warm,didnt go home that way 

This was about the time they closed  "Hooters""

What hooters?

Yes, if you walked rt 41 from Naples area to Miami you couldn't count the gators you would see in the canals beside the road.  Yes they do lay on the road some nights when the water is cool and the pavement warm.  Not a place to ride a bike at night.  We fished the canals going north from 41 on the Indian Reservation but had to get their permission to park along the road.  Once we rode bikes north out of Everglades City back to Ft Myers.  You have to watch for jaguars along those roads. Interesting area.

Edited by kayak99

Not sure where Hooters was at ,never was  in it,went to Hogs Breath and then to Hog Fish Inn ,at Hog's Breath is where they was talking about Hooters closing .,we ate lunch there every day, the H/D people tolerated BMW riders, I mean they did say Hello ,,grunted.

Posted (edited)

Corrected - jaguar should have been panthers.

Been to Hogs Breathe but never know there was a Hooter in the Keys.  You probably know the original is still open here in Clearwater.

Edited by kayak99

We don’t have deer crossing signs. Panther crossing sign is seen more.  

There have been 12 killed so far by vehicles here. 

5 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

We don’t have deer crossing signs. Panther crossing sign is seen more.  

There have been 12 killed so far by vehicles here. 

Wow, that sucks.

I know Florida worked really hard to save the Florida panther from extinction.

10 hours ago, bassturds said:

jaguars in Florida, what the hell. thats friggin amazing 

I think he meant panther, but there are sightings of jaguar in places like Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico and I would agree, that is friggin amazing.