eelbasher

Incorrect storage....I'm an idiot, pics inside

21 posts in this topic

First off, I'm an idiot. Thought I had a good storage rack for my Outback and boy I was wrong. 

Bought my Outback last year and built a rack to store in in the garage. Being that it was my first Hobie I figured upright would be a good way to store the boat. A buddy and I went out fishing the past few days and I looked at the bottom of my boat and noticed it had a nice indent on both sides. Compared with his boat, mine had an issue. The weight of the boat and I'm guessing summer heat/time made a indent. 

Any my way to fix this or should I just leave it alone? 

image.thumb.jpeg.427582a1f38e9b63de780ab4ccc38b38.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a1445f50a6ad9b19792beea771f6575.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.022a19c8a57f5bc0730b24a37f561369.jpeg

BTW boat is now stored upside down 

image.thumb.jpeg.f5e8cdce98723c442932bceae8fa8e24.jpeg

Leave it upside down in the hot sun with all hatches etc closed, the air inside the hull will heat up and expand against the warmed up (slightly softened) plastic of the hull ... should pop back out into shape again. Good luck

You can also try using a hair dryer to warm the plastic while pushing on the dent from the inside. Gently! Plastic has a "memory" and will often return to the original shape. 

Thanks guys! That was my thought as well but I don't want to compromise the integrity of the mold. I'll see what happens, thanks again!

if you want to store your kayak right side up just install 2 3" PVC conduits on your rack just like we all do for our trailers. I store my hobies on the pvc bunks year round and never had a problem. 

21 mins ago, robmedina said:

if you want to store your kayak right side up just install 2 3" PVC conduits on your rack just like we all do for our trailers. I store my hobies on the pvc bunks year round and never had a problem. 

I had it on 2x4's lengthwise. Pieces were just too short I guess. Added plywood to the top and flipped the boat. The rails should be stronger anyway. Novice thing I did, this way should be better

I would not use a hairdryer or a heat gun. Too easy to melt through then you are screwed. Wait for hot sunny day and leave it upside down in the sun for an hour or two. It will pop back out.

My kayaks get those all the time from leaving them strapped tightly to the roof too long.  They pop right out on a sunny day, nothing to worry about.

Given that your boat is light colored, you can help out the sun if you need to by painting the area with something like black crayola washable paint that will absorb heat better.

7 hours ago, eelbasher said:

First off, I'm an idiot. Thought I had a good storage rack for my Outback and boy I was wrong. 

Bought my Outback last year and built a rack to store in in the garage. Being that it was my first Hobie I figured upright would be a good way to store the boat. A buddy and I went out fishing the past few days and I looked at the bottom of my boat and noticed it had a nice indent on both sides. Compared with his boat, mine had an issue. The weight of the boat and I'm guessing summer heat/time made a indent. 

Any my way to fix this or should I just leave it alone? 

image.thumb.jpeg.427582a1f38e9b63de780ab4ccc38b38.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a1445f50a6ad9b19792beea771f6575.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.022a19c8a57f5bc0730b24a37f561369.jpeg

BTW boat is now stored upside down 

image.thumb.jpeg.f5e8cdce98723c442932bceae8fa8e24.jpeg

Dont be so hard on yourself.  There was a fellow I know who did what you did, turned his hull upside down and his mancoon cat decided to sleep on it and made a huge impression.  You cant win. 

Thanks for all the insight guys! Once this cold weather breaks I'll put it out back and see what the sun can do

You can also flip it rightside up on the ground and pour some hot water in there. Not boiling but hot and it will pop back out.

If you do the sun method, I’ve read that putting a black garbage bag over the area will heat it up faster. Good luck 

I'm trying a bastardization of that approach, I wonder how many PSI he pumps into that hull? Mine is in much worse shape than eelbasher's, but re-watching this has me toying with the idea of installing a valve stem right into the drain plug, heating it up and blowing it up like an inner tube. Thanks for posting this, I'm heading back to the mad laboratory...