OrtleyBeach35

What makes a GREAT plug ? Where’s the data

113 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lonellr said:

I recommend doing anything that makes the plug do what you want it to do in a certain situation. Most people don't adjust the lip but if the fish will get a chance at the plug with a lip adjustment then adjust the friggin lip! haha.

Understood.

Do you offer or otherwise provide color matching paint for when the bluefish scuff the plug?

2 hours ago, Bfishes333 said:

I don't have a lot of experience buying plugs but I I have bought a few. Why does anybody buy Titleist golf clubs instead of king cobra knockoffs or put custom junkyard dog weights on there Scotty Cameron putters? Why get an AMG when a honda will get you to the same destination? Of course you can catch fish on a $2 bucktail or save the money get a castnet and never have to buy bait or plugs again. If you have the money for a $10, $20, $30+ plug and enjoy putting your money into something you love like fishing then why not? 

That's pretty easy..... You see Titleist invests millions of dollars to perfect club distance, accuracy, sound... with a prediction model of a golf swing help your type of swing and recommend what club works best for you... called club fitting (aka Data investment)... If you don't care about this kinda of stuff... buy the knockoff, buy the cheap plug.. I'm all in favor for buying the next best plug if it catches fish, heck even if it looks cool....

Just like buying a $50 plug... does it swim better (faster/slower), does it rattle, thru wire, ... all things that improve catch ratio.

Didn't think a PLUG question could lead us to this... Pray for us..

4 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

SIC - you may have the nicest plugs...

interesting that no one has an answer or the data to show yet...

Are you looking for a carefully-prepared set of input variables that you will then use to develop your own predictive models which will rank plug selection options in what I can only assume would be an interactive GUI?

Will it be able to take real time feeds of input variables then refresh the models based on "last-hour" data?

3 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

DUDE!!! that's perfect... exactly what I was looking for!! thanks for taking the time to answer my question

It was cool to get an answer straight from a builder. And I hate to be this guy,,, but use the search. I have gotten that same type of information from either the builders websites or typing in something like "beachmaster danny action/weight/hooks/colors etc." on this site. Or just post up a question about one.

I think you buy a different plug for different conditions. I justify the money because I am confident from others experience that a given plug will do what it's supposed to do, every time. As far as real data...too many variables

32 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Understood.

Do you offer or otherwise provide color matching paint for when the bluefish scuff the plug?

I've often suggested to some builders that they offer a service contract for their plugs, which might take several forms, not the least of which could be "annual plug tuneup".  Agree to pay $XX/year in advance and ship your plug to your builder for some resealing, some touch up paint and a fresh coat of finish epoxy.  

20 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

That's pretty easy..... You see Titleist invests millions of dollars to perfect club distance, accuracy, sound... with a prediction model of a golf swing help your type of swing and recommend what club works best for you... called club fitting (aka Data investment)... If you don't care about this kinda of stuff... buy the knockoff, buy the cheap plug.. I'm all in favor for buying the next best plug if it catches fish, heck even if it looks cool....

Just like buying a $50 plug... does it swim better (faster/slower), does it rattle, thru wire, ... all things that improve catch ratio.

Didn't think a PLUG question could lead us to this... Pray for us..

Yep they do.

Their "data investments" run into millions of $$, as do the investments of many other firms with $200M annual revenue.  

As for market forces, theirs is characterized as one that has a relatively limited number of suppliers, most of which have large market shares.

I'll leave you to your own devices to figure it out.

let me start by saying this , I do not mean to disrespect anyone here most of you seem to be decent guys, but I will say this most of you are so clueless , I have been a hardcore surfishermen for 40 years have seen the worst of times and some of the best, there are no magic plugs , plug makers, or so called works of art, there are good fishermen and those that want to be , I have said this more than once here but most seem to turn a blind eye find the fish , LEARN THE HUNT, after that what you toss is easy, my first welcome to the 40# club was a 46 on a 6 $ bomber, my intro to the 50 club was on a 7$ gibbs pencil, most of my 30# and some 40# have come on bugs (bucktails) and plastics most of you don't seem to realize the sad state our fishery has become lets get together and see if we can fix it instead of how much can I spend to catch a 28 incher IT AINT CAR ITS THE DRIVER

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

Understood.

No. You are buying the plug. It doesn't come with a warranty in case a bluefish gets it. You put it in elements where it will get bitten, hit against rocks, in a fishes mouth, or maybe even bitten off. You can recoat it if you like. I do with other plugs. I don't expect the builder to do it.

Edited by lonellr

1 hour ago, FyshhTrap said:

No Never, well maybe sometimes, but not too much, it really depends sometimes. Maybe a little bit but Not on @lonellr plugs at all Ever.

Haha! Thanks! But if you want to adjust them, do it! Those pikies I sent you, wait till you see that wake the tail makes. It's beautiful!! I'm obsessed with the darn things.

2 hours ago, lonellr said:

I'm obsessed with the darn things.

I have a very good feeling about them !!

20 mins ago, FyshhTrap said:

WTF !!!

Can't believe that our friend does not provide a warranty!!!!!

Just now, Southcoastphil said:

Can't believe that our friend does not provide a warranty!!!!!

Whats up with that, such a Newb, I did Just what Everyone said , I bent the eye to the left and the lip to the right and the frigging thing swam Backwards, a Striper came right out of the water, right up to me and slapped me in the face with her tail, I'm like This is what they told me to do on SOL, she said "do you Really listen to those guys" "you should have got a Warranty" I'm like ,WTF