OrtleyBeach35

What makes a GREAT plug ? Where’s the data

113 posts in this topic

1 min ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

DUDE!!! that's perfect... exactly what I was looking for!! thanks for taking the time to answer my question

You're very welcome! No problem at all. I'm still new to the game though. Hopefully some of the more experienced builders will chime in.

12 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

Troll? that's funny... I haven't better time on my hands.

If you build something from scratch, which is what these guys do.. I consider it an art! Their work is extraordinary!

So how would you execute this? think about it, it's not hard. It requires time, effort and money - so of course not everyone has that time to do it, that's my point... not even the mass production guys do it....

.... and yes now you're thinking about this scientifically and that is my point!  everything you buy is based on data, it supports and provides insight.... I'm not saying that everyone or anyone HAS TO DO IT.... but if someone did spend the time, money what would we learn... maybe something you never knew before?

Troll on that.... no need to be so sensitive about a PLUG... unless you're one of the builders that just try to make a quick buck copying another guy.... it's called a value proposition...

You seem to be a little bit of an arse . . . I don't build plugs and now I do believe you are just a troll.  Your question was not answered as you are looking at catch ratios.  Do I get a benefit by consistently catching "BIG fish" in paying more money for a custom built plug?  Is that not what you are asking?  Carry on . . . not wasting time with you as your intentions are clear to me.

umm no....I'll keep it simple for you.

He answered my question about specs about PLUGS...

Catch Ratio requires someone that has completed such analysis.

... leave the scientific stuff to us fisherman that actually are interested in this kind of stuff...

I'll fill you in when I complete my analysis and study.

Waaaaaaaaaay  over thinking this. A plug is a tool and if you don't know how to use it ,all the data in the world won't help you.

6 mins ago, Striperknight said:

Waaaaaaaaaay  over thinking this. A plug is a tool and if you don't know how to use it ,all the data in the world won't help you.

Very well said...

I think you'll find that most, if not all, of the small time builders will be happy to answer questions that you have on the plugs they build. For example, basic info on my plugs can be found here: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/360902-jigman-plugs/   

Like others have indicated, plugs are tools. You have to put some time into learning what works in the areas you fish and how you like to fish. The builder can only give you a starting point. There are certainly cases where fishermen use or modify a plug to fish specific conditions that the builder may not have considered. 

6 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

So the analytical side of me was wondering? With all the custom plugs I see, why does no one share the following information?

1. Type of wood they use?

2. Sink rate if applicable?

3. Best time to use? Day/dusk/ night?

4. Best used for? Big surf, sweep, flat conditions?

5. Best imitates? What baitfish?

there is so much more....

so so why spend $25 or a lot more without good data to support... if these catch BIG fish, why not share what you’ve researched to improve your catch ratio?

I don't have a lot of experience buying plugs but I I have bought a few. Why does anybody buy Titleist golf clubs instead of king cobra knockoffs or put custom junkyard dog weights on there Scotty Cameron putters? Why get an AMG when a honda will get you to the same destination? Of course you can catch fish on a $2 bucktail or save the money get a castnet and never have to buy bait or plugs again. If you have the money for a $10, $20, $30+ plug and enjoy putting your money into something you love like fishing then why not? 

1 hour ago, lonellr said:

I'll answer a few for you with the Danny plug I make. This one pictured is an old color pattern called Rainbow..

1. I used clear white pine for this one. Most builders use Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC). Pine is great but you will need to seal it well. You don't need to overly seal cedar because it is a great decay resistant wood and holds paint, stains, glues, and finishes well. Very hard to come by in some areas, which is why I use mostly clear pine and just seal it with spar urethane well.

2. This one is at 2.5ozs and should swim at 6-8" under the surface. Or you can adjust the nose loop up or down to your liking.

3. I think the rainbow pattern can be used at dawn, low light, or night time. It's not a good daylight color in my experience, but I've never fished it in the daylight when herring are the main source of food, so I could be wrong.

4. I'd use it with little to no wind in your face, shallow areas, with rocks. Or sandy, shallow flats. You can throw them in the surf, but it's known that metal lips don't cast well. 

5. I would say herring, but some people say it's the color pattern itself that makes this successful.

IMG_1075.thumb.JPG.90481d02e9b302f8a55b3ba1ee9e786a.JPG

Do you recommend adjusting the lip?

19 mins ago, Jig Man said:

I think you'll find that most, if not all, of the small time builders will be happy to answer questions that you have on the plugs they build. For example, basic info on my plugs can be found here: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/360902-jigman-plugs/   

Like others have indicated, plugs are tools. You have to put some time into learning what works in the areas you fish and how you like to fish. The builder can only give you a starting point. There are certainly cases where fishermen use or modify a plug to fish specific conditions that the builder may not have considered. 

good read. thx

2 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Oh boy.  :worms:

Heating up the popcorn. 

53 mins ago, lonellr said:

You're very welcome! No problem at all. I'm still new to the game though. Hopefully some of the more experienced builders will chime in.

Where's mine at? The countdown is on. 

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Some of the other information you are asking is common knowledge. .....pink=squid

Dark colors at night 

Yellow during the day.....

Theres tons of info to thumb through.....

True that there are the “standard” colors dark day dark lure light day light lure......I also have done very well with white at night and yellow too...never great with dark during the day except one time in a thunderstorm and I shouldn’t have kept fishing....so true about the confidence piece. Throw it and work it with conviction.

22 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

I recommend doing anything that makes the plug do what you want it to do in a certain situation. Most people don't adjust the lip but if the fish will get a chance at the plug with a lip adjustment then adjust the friggin lip! haha.

21 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

Where's mine at? The countdown is on. 

You let me know what you need Tommy and I got ya! 

2 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

No Never, well maybe sometimes, but not too much, it really depends sometimes. Maybe a little bit but Not on @lonellr plugs at all Ever.