What makes a GREAT plug ? Where’s the data

Rate this topic

OrtleyBeach35

2 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

So the analytical side of me was wondering? With all the custom plugs I see, why does no one share the following information?

1. Type of wood they use?

2. Sink rate if applicable?

3. Best time to use? Day/dusk/ night?

4. Best used for? Big surf, sweep, flat conditions?

5. Best imitates? What baitfish?

there is so much more....

so so why spend $25 or a lot more without good data to support... if these catch BIG fish, why not share what you’ve researched to improve your catch ratio?

just wondering....

Ask the builder when your at his table.  Most of em will take the time to tell you about their product.  They want you to have success using their stuff.   

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

2 mins ago, SIC34 said:

All the new plugs you bought this winter are the wrong ones. Except that glider, I hope I'm down current from you when you snap it off! :waah:

That was part of last years heist, what glider? there are proly 3 in there somewhere !!

6 mins ago, FyshhTrap said:

That was part of last years heist, what glider? there are proly 3 in there somewhere !!

My comment was for the OP, sometimes I let him tag along with me when he puts up a bunch of skunks in a row.

I've gone out on cheap dates and expensive ones, not knowing what was going to happen; I can't say that the costs necessarily correlate to the quality of the experience.

Edited by rollincoal
"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

13 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

interesting that no one has an answer or the data to show yet...

There are no answers. You need to put the time into using a variety of plugs to learn what works. No idea what your final outcome of this list of data points provides. Are you going to cross reference your spreadsheet against moon phase/tide charts/water temp/current speed/wind direction/plug weight/water column/bait type/wood species every time you try to decide what to tie on? Sounds exhausting.

14 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

SIC - you may have the nicest plugs...

interesting that no one has an answer or the data to show yet...

Many fisherman buy the plugs without having all the data you request . . . do you actually think each builder should respond to your question and review each type of plug?

Maybe you are just trying to insinuate that those who spend large amounts of money for custom plugs are wasting their money?  As there are less expensive, mass produced options that will equally produce?  Or maybe just trying to troll . . . I guess if that is the case, I bit.  BTW, think about how you would actually execute the analysis you're requesting.   Each plug during specific conditions would have to be benchmarked against another and done numerous times to provide any factual evidence with dependable basis.

As someone suggested, ask each plug builder your questions as they would be more than willing to discuss.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

4 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

So the analytical side of me was wondering? With all the custom plugs I see, why does no one share the following information?

1. Type of wood they use?

2. Sink rate if applicable?

3. Best time to use? Day/dusk/ night?

4. Best used for? Big surf, sweep, flat conditions?

5. Best imitates? What baitfish?

there is so much more....

so so why spend $25 or a lot more without good data to support... if these catch BIG fish, why not share what you’ve researched to improve your catch ratio?

just wondering....

I'll answer a few for you with the Danny plug I make. This one pictured is an old color pattern called Rainbow..

1. I used clear white pine for this one. Most builders use Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC). Pine is great but you will need to seal it well. You don't need to overly seal cedar because it is a great decay resistant wood and holds paint, stains, glues, and finishes well. Very hard to come by in some areas, which is why I use mostly clear pine and just seal it with spar urethane well.

2. This one is at 2.5ozs and should swim at 6-8" under the surface. Or you can adjust the nose loop up or down to your liking.

3. I think the rainbow pattern can be used at dawn, low light, or night time. It's not a good daylight color in my experience, but I've never fished it in the daylight when herring are the main source of food, so I could be wrong.

4. I'd use it with little to no wind in your face, shallow areas, with rocks. Or sandy, shallow flats. You can throw them in the surf, but it's known that metal lips don't cast well. 

5. I would say herring, but some people say it's the color pattern itself that makes this successful.

IMG_1075.thumb.JPG.90481d02e9b302f8a55b3ba1ee9e786a.JPG

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

4 mins ago, cartopper said:

Many fisherman buy the plugs without having all the data you request . . . do you actually think each builder should respond to your question and review each type of plug?

Maybe you are just trying to insinuate that those who spend large amounts of money for custom plugs are wasting their money?  As there are less expensive, mass produced options that will equally produce?  Or maybe just trying to troll . . . I guess if that is the case, I bit.  BTW, think about how you would actually execute the analysis you're requesting.   Each plug during specific conditions would have to be benchmarked against another and done numerous times to provide any factual evidence with dependable basis.

As someone suggested, ask each plug builder your questions as they would be more than willing to discuss.

Troll? that's funny... I haven't better time on my hands.

If you build something from scratch, which is what these guys do.. I consider it an art! Their work is extraordinary!

So how would you execute this? think about it, it's not hard. It requires time, effort and money - so of course not everyone has that time to do it, that's my point... not even the mass production guys do it....

.... and yes now you're thinking about this scientifically and that is my point!  everything you buy is based on data, it supports and provides insight.... I'm not saying that everyone or anyone HAS TO DO IT.... but if someone did spend the time, money what would we learn... maybe something you never knew before?

Troll on that.... no need to be so sensitive about a PLUG... unless you're one of the builders that just try to make a quick buck copying another guy.... it's called a value proposition...

4 mins ago, lonellr said:

I'll answer a few for you with the Danny plug I make. This one pictured is an old color pattern called Rainbow..

1. I used clear white pine for this one. Most builders use Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC). Pine is great but you will need to seal it well. You don't need to overly seal cedar because it is a great decay resistant wood and holds paint, stains, glues, and finishes well. Very hard to come by in some areas, which is why I use mostly clear pine and just seal it with spar urethane well.

2. This one is at 2.5ozs and should swim at 6-8" under the surface. Or you can adjust the nose loop up or down to your liking.

3. I think the rainbow pattern can be used at dawn, low light, or night time. It's not a good daylight color in my experience, but I've never fished it in the daylight when herring are the main source of food, so I could be wrong.

4. I'd use it with little to no wind in your face, shallow areas, with rocks. Or sandy, shallow flats. You can throw them in the surf, but it's known that metal lips don't cast well. 

5. I would say herring, but some people say it's the color pattern itself that makes this successful.

IMG_1075.thumb.JPG.90481d02e9b302f8a55b3ba1ee9e786a.JPG

DUDE!!! that's perfect... exactly what I was looking for!! thanks for taking the time to answer my question