Plugger207

Shimano vs penn

34 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, reelfire said:

Penn slammer 3 for sealed reel. If you aren't planning on getting it wet find a small used Stella and spend the money, smoothest reel ever made.

a new player in the "smoothest" game.  too bad it has a tiny spool... 

18 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

I fish a shimano ultegra 5500 and love it. However,  I’m not going to use it anywhere it can get dunked or dropped in the sand. Or hand it to anyone who is more likely to drop it than I am. I currently have an SSV for that work (and for my son to use) and will probably upgrade to a slammer 3.

So, if it’s for you, and you only have yourself to blame when it gets wet and sandy, Shimano is hard to beat. On the other hand, if it’s being used by less experienced friends, Penn may be the better choice because of better TBO in your real world situations.

I do the same!      I have a 5500ss on an ugly stick that gets lent out, takes me a only few minutes to clean up if dropped in the sand.  But  the shimano's are more fun to fish with.   

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Plugger207 said:

True.  I’ve been doing my research here....you tube......through other fishermen....I tend not to be loyal to one brand.....it’s definitely all about application.  A lot of times it seems to be apples to apples.  Really just love the conversation and comradery this site provides.  I’m sure I’ll buy one reel now love it fish it and buy the other next time.....

Just be careful with YouTube... lots of shills that do so-called "reviews" but which are effectively advertisements.  Many of the other "reviews" seem to be just reading specs off the box or off the website.  As Denny previously mentioned, both TackleAdvisors and Alan Hawk are excellent and detailed reviews of reels.  I'm not going to make a recommendation although I have historically owned mostly VS and Penn.  Over that last year, I started buying some Shimano and Daiwa for some reels.  You can read into that what you want.