Plugger207

Shimano vs penn

34 posts in this topic

Good stuff!  I have a stradic fk 4000 that has held up very well the past two season...but it doesn’t see much water. Sort of my back bay tidal river set up on an avid inshore 7/6.  It’s turned some pretty big fish.  Maybe I should just wait and get a vr 50....either way it’s great to have options. Plenty of time to ponder.....with another foot of snow on its way. Thanks for all the insight and wisdom......love this site!

i had nothing but problems with my SSV...for a supposedly "semi-sealed" real it sure as **** didnt like even a light splash of saltwater...I switched to a Spheros early fall and the difference is amazing....Idk how anyone could compare the current penn line-up to shimanos and even diawa with there new line up.. Granted i havent fished the slammer 3 but after a little light fondling it felt tight and heavy.....

not to mention the reel guru's opinion on the matter..(alan hawk and scooby)..

If you want a robust reel, stay away from the Stradic. The Penn Slammer is a solid choice. it’s built like a freakin tank, and the few petty problems you probably read about, you probably read them here on SOL.  In the salt, go with the Slammer 3.

Honestly, I would take a Slammer 3 everyday over the Van Staal VR series.

They both have great offerings as far as spinners are concerned. Spheros or gosa if you go shimano. The ssv and slammer can get on the heavy side, the clash is a less hefty reel. I think the spheros is probably one of the best spinners on the market when it comes to balancing price, weight, water/salt resistance and performance. Coming from a non repentant penn diehard.

18 hours ago, hobobob said:

I just spilled my coffee. lol

Yeah me too lol! and I used a battle that was given to me junk! My shimano reels are well taken care of not submerged and I've never had a gear problem or paint corroding off like penns.

Which daiwa is competing with stradic? The ballistic?

I'm looking for a light-ish 4k spin reel this year. I own a 4500 slammer that is pretty nice for my light surf use, but larger than I'm looking for on this 7' inshore rod. I've been using a 3k stradic fi happily for a few years 

I got a 5500 slammer last season for the surf. Love it, drag is amazing and smooth... but I don't have any experience with diawa or shimano offerings in the same price range. Always been fishing with Penn reels and never had any major failures. Picked up 3 new slammers this off season. 8500 HS, 7500, for tuna jigging/popping and a 3500 for backbay/albies/bass. I have a Clash 4000 but I much prefer the drag on the slammer so Im replacing it with the slammer 3500 as my main reel. Clash will be the back up. I also got a diawa fuego 3500 so we'll see if this little reel will make me a covert lol. I just see a lot of value in the slammers. 

Shimano Stradic 100% of the way. I've fished both Penn's and Shimano's and since Penn moved everything but the internationals production to China I've noticed a lack of longevity and cheapness in the reels. I do like my first generation Battle a lot but my Stradics have aged a lot better and preform 10x better. I've used a lot of different brand spinning reels collegiality bass fishing and nothing can match what shimano produces. 

I fish a shimano ultegra 5500 and love it. However,  I’m not going to use it anywhere it can get dunked or dropped in the sand. Or hand it to anyone who is more likely to drop it than I am. I currently have an SSV for that work (and for my son to use) and will probably upgrade to a slammer 3.

So, if it’s for you, and you only have yourself to blame when it gets wet and sandy, Shimano is hard to beat. On the other hand, if it’s being used by less experienced friends, Penn may be the better choice because of better TBO in your real world situations.

Look to the experts like was mentioned,  like Alan Hawk and Tackle Advisors (scooby) for a direct comparison through breakdown. Is a pretty common theme with what they think. I always start there then use fishermen feedback after that to make a decision. Problem with posts like this is that you will get ample feedback from people who are fanboys, only have ever fished one brand, or think that fishing a reel a few times a year for ten years means longevity. 

1 hour ago, dennysnook said:

Look to the experts like was mentioned,  like Alan Hawk and Tackle Advisors (scooby) for a direct comparison through breakdown. Is a pretty common theme with what they think. I always start there then use fishermen feedback after that to make a decision. Problem with posts like this is that you will get ample feedback from people who are fanboys, only have ever fished one brand, or think that fishing a reel a few times a year for ten years means longevity. 

True.  I’ve been doing my research here....you tube......through other fishermen....I tend not to be loyal to one brand.....it’s definitely all about application.  A lot of times it seems to be apples to apples.  Really just love the conversation and comradery this site provides.  I’m sure I’ll buy one reel now love it fish it and buy the other next time.....

The market has become more and more competitive, and there are quality options from various manufacturers and particular advantages may be application dependent and vary upon your style and care of a reel. Best intel I find is from guys that fish the same way and amount I do. Then I take that intel and correlate it with the reel gurus and my application to make a final decision. If I actually took care of my stuff meticulously I could probably get away using $100 BGs, but have managed to destroy Saltigas and Stellas aesthetically thru laziness and expose weaknesses not typical to the casual fisherman.

I'm currently fishing flagship reels from IRT, Shimano, Accurate, Daiwa, and Penn and can say good and bad things about each reel. One thing to keep in mind is service as well. No reel is perfect but cost effectiveness and timeframe of service, and peace of mind knowing that, adds alot of value often overlooked. Goodluck in your search

Penn slammer 3 for sealed reel. If you aren't planning on getting it wet find a small used Stella and spend the money, smoothest reel ever made.