Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

Best in show awards RISSA 3/11/18

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

:)Today at the RISSA Show today with 3 friends we decided to vote on best at show to make things fun so here is our selection so please feel free to vote "BEST AT SHOW" see our pics

Best Reel level winding Canyon Reels

Best guide Jerry Sparks "kayak"

Best Head boat Helen H With Matt

Best spinning Reel Shimano Stella reels with Roy

Best display Goose Hummock casting Tank

Best lure Goose Hummock Strategic Angler 

Best umbrella Rig Eric 9 ER lures

29103437_2103780459840789_2432463043146285056_n.jpg

29066672_2103780513174117_4133678384838344704_n.jpg

29103939_2103780379840797_6298165928622292992_n.jpg

29066508_2103780356507466_396004462956642304_n.jpg

29028016_2103780443174124_2414471691431313408_n.jpg

29027654_2103780416507460_7184814059470979072_n.jpg

29136106_2103780333174135_2445539320187060224_n.jpg

Edited by codfish

Posted (edited)

The 9 ER lures took some of my money, deep trolled in 80-100 feet of water can get you some big boys. Ok deal with throwing in some extra shads.

The Goose tanks were great, allowed guys like Bill Hurley to show off their stuff.

First time I really looked at Canyon reels, very impressed, nice guys, almost pulled the trigger on some larger conventional ones but then decided I really didn’t “need” them. If my Shimano ones implode this year due to age and heavy use I might switch over to these.

I bought some nice pencil poppers, 3 for $20, at a booth over on the left hand side. They seemed to me to be either Gibbs rejects or knockoffs, had pretty good hooks, maybe vmc, but for that price you couldn’t go wrong.

I just have to give credit to RISSA, this is a great show, rods, reels, boats, charters, seminars, food, boat towers, clothing, boat insurance, etc. Really, just about anything the average fisherman wanted as far as product and knowledge is there, for only $10. 

Edited by fishonnelsons

1 hour ago, fishonnelsons said:

The 9 ER lures took some of my money, deep trolled in 80-100 feet of water can get you some big boys. Ok deal with throwing in some extra shads.

The Goose tanks were great, allowed guys like Bill Hurley to show off their stuff.

First time I really looked at Canyon reels, very impressed, nice guys, almost pulled the trigger on some larger conventional ones but then decided I really didn’t “need” them. If my Shimano ones implode this year due to age and heavy use I might switch over to these.

I bought some nice pencil poppers, 3 for $20, at a booth over on the left hand side. They seemed to me to be either Gibbs rejects or knockoffs, had pretty good hooks, maybe vmc, but for that price you couldn’t go wrong.

I just have to give credit to RISSA, this is a great show, rods, reels, boats, charters, seminars, food, boat towers, clothing, boat insurance, etc. Really, just about anything the average fisherman wanted as far as product and knowledge is there, for only $10. 

"First time I really looked at Canyon reels, very impressed," dito:)

The same canyon reels that sold China crap and claimed to be made in USA (New Jersey)???

11 hours ago, ged said:

The same canyon reels that sold China crap and claimed to be made in USA (New Jersey)???

They are from Jersey, enlighten us as to your experience please - but the facts please, how many years ago, how many people had bad reels, just you or was it a ****load, spinning, conventional, etc etc. Did they have start up issues and now have fixed them? And really, how many reels/parts are not made in China?

Really would like the lowdown. A friend who fishes heavy uses the smaller spinning in salt and he loves them, no issues. 

11 hours ago, ged said:

Ged thanks for sharing from what I could find a good number of reels are made in China or there parts are made in China and assembled here, I did try one of there spinners last year and its still going strong, tight lines at pole 714:):)

Posted (edited)

18 mins ago, fishonnelsons said:

They are from Jersey, enlighten us as to your experience please - but the facts please, how many years ago, how many people had bad reels, just you or was it a ****load, spinning, conventional, etc etc. Did they have start up issues and now have fixed them? And really, how many reels/parts are not made in China?

Really would like the lowdown. A friend who fishes heavy uses the smaller spinning in salt and he loves them, no issues. 

Check Alan Hawk’s site. You will learn a thing or two. 

Don from canyon released a statement where he claimed the reels were assembled in the US with a frame from Japan and superior parts from the US and other places, but not made in China. 

Alan demonstrated the reel Canyon said was made in the US was a $80 Chinese OEM. 

Anyone can have a Chinese OEM produce a reel that is branded for them. For example, I can get a feel with specific colors or engraving “GED” special. 

Check alibaba or Leichi fishing. Nothing ground breaking here. 

I would not not support a company that lies and says a product is made or assembled in the US when evidence and common sense says it isn’t. 

Maybe they do produce something here now, I don’t know and I don’t care. I would give my business to a real US company like Seigler, AVET, Accurate, PENN, etc

Edited by ged

13 hours ago, codfish said:

How would you rate the show??

I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, knowing I never give 10’s!  A lot of stuff, knowledgeable vendors, seemed like a nice friendly vibe. Parking right there, a car with 2-3 guys $5 apiece. Need to improve on ticket process. On line sales a good start, but 5hey mail the tickets to you? Why not have a will call ticket booth to pick up pre paid tickets, staffed by RISSA members? Maybe coliseum rules?

9 mins ago, ged said:

Check Alan Hawk’s site. You will learn a thing or two. 

Thank you. I will always take Alan Hawks advice. The bottom line is he is saying the one spinning reel he reviewed is really a lower end, mass produced Chinese reel, he takes exception to a lot of Canyons claims about the reel, definitely shows that the reel is 99% similar to a mass produced cheaper Chinese reel, and as a result are overpriced.

However, the review is from 2012, six years ago. I guess the question is what about now? Has Canyon straightened out it’s act? Has anything changed? Has anyone posted on this and other websites that these reels suck? Or are good? Do you know anyone who has tried these out, using them now, etc who can really give a more recent review or experience with them? 

Im only asking these questions as my friend, who fishes about 150 days a year, has used the smaller spinner on rods he builds and loves the reels. Granted, his is the only feedback I’ve heard, that’s why I’m asking, and Alan’s review says to me that at the least, I shouldn’t pay full asking price! 

14 mins ago, fishonnelsons said:

Thank you. I will always take Alan Hawks advice. The bottom line is he is saying the one spinning reel he reviewed is really a lower end, mass produced Chinese reel, he takes exception to a lot of Canyons claims about the reel, definitely shows that the reel is 99% similar to a mass produced cheaper Chinese reel, and as a result are overpriced.

However, the review is from 2012, six years ago. I guess the question is what about now? Has Canyon straightened out it’s act? Has anything changed? Has anyone posted on this and other websites that these reels suck? Or are good? Do you know anyone who has tried these out, using them now, etc who can really give a more recent review or experience with them? 

Im only asking these questions as my friend, who fishes about 150 days a year, has used the smaller spinner on rods he builds and loves the reels. Granted, his is the only feedback I’ve heard, that’s why I’m asking, and Alan’s review says to me that at the least, I shouldn’t pay full asking price! 

The point is, they lied about where their product came from and where it was assembled.

What more do you need to know about a company or a person?

Why would Alan waste any more time on them?

Yup, they did. 

I do know though, that companies can change direction, some do and some do not.  Don’t know here, that’s why I’m asking.

Would love to have the answers to my questions above asked of you, or input by anyone else.

Personally when I’m buying anything I research it pretty good, cars, boats, TVs you name it. One six year old review by a well respected person will be taken into consideration, but will not be my only data point. To depend on one persons opinion, Alan, my friends, etc versus getting a good sample, seems pretty narrow minded to me. But, hey, I’m not in the market now anyways, so what do I care.

1 hour ago, fishonnelsons said:

"only asking these questions as my friend, who fishes about 150 days a year, has used the smaller spinner on rods he builds and loves the reels" for me the small spinner I used maybe 60-70 days last year, I will see how it holds up in year 2? if it ever stops snowing:):)

8 hours ago, ged said:

The point is, they lied about where their product came from and where it was assembled.

What more do you need to know about a company or a person?

Why would Alan waste any more time on them?

Like century’s one piece that was really a two piece glued together.