Jig Man

Jigman metal lips on wednesday

33 posts in this topic

Wednesday evening I'll be posting several batches of metal lip swimmers on here. 2 oz pikies,  jig 30,  bait fish swimmers, 1 1/2 oz dannys, and a new design, the small fry. Latter is 5 inch and 1 1/4 oz. Similar shape as my jig 30, but smaller and just one belly hook. I'll post photos and other details later. I believe I have tips and videos of all but the small fry in my thread on the bst sellers forum.

Ok, here is the story behind this latest batch, or what might be known as the batch that almost didn't happen. 

I've seen a number of posts here on SOL asking things like: what is your favorite metal lip, or spook; or what plug is first out of your bag. This got me to thinking, if I were going to hit a beach and bring some metal lip swimmers with me, which ones would I most likely pack. So I ended up turning batches of metal lips that have done well for me over the years and are very common in my plug bag when I hit the surf. During the build, I had a few issues. While painting, I had a few arguements with my airbrush. It was clogging and sometimes spitting paint rather than spraying nicely. After clear coating, I was moving some stuff around in the shop when I caught my foot on the air brush hose. Ended up stumbling and bouncing off the plug rack with freshly coated, still tacky plugs. Some of the plugs just bounced a little laughing at the mayham; others got ascared and clung to each other shaking in fear; still others lost their minds completely, jumped off the rack, and rolled around in saw dust and other stuff on the floor. You might be surprised at how much dust a freshly coated plugs can collect!

After sometime curled up in the fetal position in a corner and several beers, I surveyed the damage. Most plugs were unscathed. Some, like the jumpers, were a loss (who wants a fuzzy plug with who knows what attached to it!). Others could be repaired. In the end, I was not entirely happy with the paint on some of the plugs and the epoxy coat was not as smooth as it should be on some plugs. I originally thought about putting up the good plugs and doing a separate sale of blems for the ones that were not up to my usual standards. However, this would mean that I might have just one of a color for a certain plug, and 5 of another color of that plug. So rather and go through all of the plugs and pull out the blems from the good ones, I have decided to put them all up at a reduced price. Most of the plugs are fine in terms of paint and clear coat. Some have MINOR paint or clear coat blemishes (I'll post a photo later showing what I mean here). As always, I test swim every plug before a sale and only those that pass the swim test are offered for sale. So, if you are interested in picking up some metal lips at a reduced price, this will be your chance. The fish don't care about minor paint or clear coat blemishes ;)

On Wednesday (around 7 PM eastern), I'll start posting for sale threads here. There will be one thread for each style of metal lip (Pikie, Danny, Jig30, Baitfish Swimmer, and Small Fry). All plugs will be priced at $15 each (+$5 shipping). I'll combine shipping on multiple plugs. I.e., order a pikie from one thread, a Small Fry from another, and a Jig30 from another, and the shipping will be $5 total.  

The link to more info on these plugs, how I use them, how to tune a pikie (yes, you can bend that lip, don't believe everything you read on the internet about not touching the lip!) and some short videos of them in action can be found here: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/360902-jigman-plugs/

A shot of a couple of the small fry. These are surface swimmers. They wake on top with a nice tail wag. They work best in calmer conditions when smaller bait are present. If you get a mullet run, throw one. Larger mullet, try the Jig30. 

jm-small-fry.jpg

Couple of examples of blems. Silver paint on the baitfish swimmer, just above my thumb and rinkle in the clear at the tail of the danny (specks are glitter in the clear, not dust from a fall!)

jm-baitfish-paint.jpg

jm-danny-clear.jpg

Some preview plug shots. Baitfish swimmers, 1 1/2 oz dannys, Jig 30's, 2 oz pikies, and Small Fry. 

jm-baitfish.jpg

jm-danny.jpg

jm-jig30.jpg

jm-pikie.jpg

jm-small-fry.jpg

Sorry for your troubles Andrew,

Like you said the fish wont mind.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. ....

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Sorry for your troubles Andrew,

Like you said the fish wont mind.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. ....

A bigger thanks to you guys for giving me reasons to put this together :)

8 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Oh just curious what kind of beers were the "several beers"?:beers:

St Pauli Girl :beers:

The fish won't care a bit...they have never cared about perfect paint jobs....thank the Lord! :th:

Good luck with your sale :wave:

TimS