yemista

new techniques for 2018

66 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

In that case, I'll just have to try several types of sub-optimal baits.

I know of a few guys that put a can of cat food inside a minnow trap and soak it overnight..............works for them.

7 mins ago, b-ware said:

I know of a few guys that put a can of cat food inside a minnow trap and soak it overnight..............works for them.

Bernie,

I've read about that.  Also encasing the can of cat food in nylons.  Apparently the eels teeth get stuck in the nylons?

1 min ago, Southcoastphil said:

Bernie,

I've read about that.  Also encasing the can of cat food in nylons.  Apparently the eels teeth get stuck in the nylons?

Never heard about the nylons and cat food, but I am a naïve backwoods red neck anyways.............................

34 mins ago, b-ware said:

Going back to the old school..................

DSC_0368.JPG

It was well known that a certain lake was extremely challenging, but every once in a while a savvy angler would catch a trophy fish, only after putting in days of effort for that one fish.

One season, a new game warden happened to notice that one guy, Carl, kept coming home with his limit of fish on a pretty regular basis.  If that wasn't surprising enough, the warden noticed Carl heading to the lake and returning just a few hours later with all of these fish. 

Finally, he sees Carl, once again with a lot of fish in his SUV, so he finally asks him, "Carl, how on earth is it that you are catching fish out of that lake when no one else can?”

Carl, being the ever-helpful angler that he is, offered to show the new warden, replying, “Well I am going back up there tomorrow, why don’t you come along?  Meet me at noon.”

As he's driving to the lake to meet Carl, he starts to doubt that they'd catch even a single fish for it was a beautiful day, temps in the low 80s, bright sunshine and barely a hint of a breeze.  He begins to wonder if he's been duped.

But, true to his word, Carl was there waiting for him.  They both get into the canoe and paddle for about 1/2 an hour to get well beyond the first point. 

Finally they stop in the middle of this remote lake.  Carl reaches into a box, pulls out a stick of dynamite, lights it and tosses it overboard. 

KA-BOOM!!

In a minute there are fish floating to the surface all over!

The game warden freaks out.  He's so angry that he can barely sputter the words, “You can’t do that! That’s illegal!  I'm writing you up!”

Carl, unflappable as ever, merely paddles around and picks up all of the fish. 

He then reaches into the box and lights anther fuse, but this time he hands it to the game warden.  While the game warden is staring in disbelief  at what he's now holding, Carl asks, "Did you come here to talk or go fishin'?"

Posted (edited)

Encasing a can of cat food in nylons to catch eels. 

There’s a dirty joke in here somewhere.....

Edited by fishinbill