yemista

new techniques for 2018

66 posts in this topic

At times I'll fish 8 & bait on the bottom, usually when fishing with friends who like to fish that way during daylight tides.  This year I might forget the weight and drift a chunck old school style.  Oddly enough it's an old school style of fishing, but I've never really done it much over the years.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I will offer an old yet tried method by rubbing the skin of any dead  eel  with broken glass , just watch out that you do not cut yourself to bring out the blueish irredesant [sp] color   Just make sure the glass has no jagit edges. and is more smooth in nature,

^^^^^^^^ some good info right there.

59 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Carl,

That's a great idea!  I'm in, for sure.

X2 but when?

On 3/11/2018 at 8:21 PM, Sandbar1 said:

This year I'm going to give eels in the canal a shot. I love jigging but I want an option to mix it up some nights.

I also want experiment with a bottle plug in heavier surf conditions.

Tight lines 2018

I've never been able to do much with eels in the canal except at slack. is that because i always fish them dead?

1 hour ago, Seven Stripes said:

I've never been able to do much with eels in the canal except at slack. is that because i always fish them dead?

In the few spots/conditions that I have found productive with eels, I observed just a very slight edge for live vs rigged.  

7 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Phil if all goes well why not a little seminar with live eels on the casting day .

Using live eels weightless has it advantages , however we have a few ways to provide a little more weight ,If you are unable to get the heavier ones from the shops one of which is with rubber core or eggs weight . The egg weight can be used like a fish finder rig , one just needs to make sure the edges are rounded off, if using braid as the main line. The rubber core can be attached with rubber insert or remove the rubber,or egg weight and slide it into the mouth, before securing the hook into the jaw of the eel. You will surprised how much you can help make the eel weigh , it is not easy, sliding a 3/4 or 1 ounce weight into the mouth of a squiggly eel but in some cases worth it it in the end I have used lead rope which is a tubular round lead once used for soldering . Just it is larger in diameter then normally found for larger soldering projects  and also plug weights that has a some diameter, yet easy to insert and slide down the throat . Using these methods required having a few on hand at the same time. 1/2 ,3/4,1,ounce in weight just for an example in your pockets.

In addition to a session on live eels, is anyone interested in learning more about fishing rigged eels?

7 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Carl,

That's a great idea!  I'm in, for sure.

Absolutely 

Phil you have any tips for riggies from the beach????? Could use a few. As I said earlier, looking to expand my horizons this year and could use a few pointers from a sharpie like you. 

8 hours ago, Dthfrmabove said:

Phil you have any tips for riggies from the beach????? Could use a few. As I said earlier, looking to expand my horizons this year and could use a few pointers from a sharpie like you. 

Rig, cast, retrieve...

Rigging can be a PITA, but I prefer riggies over live eels. Much more like fishing a plug. Retrieve speed depends on depth and structure. You want to keep it as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged. Sandy beaches you can literally bounce it off the bottom. Rocky structure takes a little more feel. I like to do a moderate retrieve with slow rod lifts and drops (about 2') to get the eel swimming in different parts of the water column. Throw in the occasional twitch. Fish crush riggies. There's no waiting a few seconds for the set like a live eel. 

17 mins ago, HanoverStriper said:

Rig, cast, retrieve...

Rigging can be a PITA, but I prefer riggies over live eels. Much more like fishing a plug. Retrieve speed depends on depth and structure. You want to keep it as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged. Sandy beaches you can literally bounce it off the bottom. Rocky structure takes a little more feel. I like to do a moderate retrieve with slow rod lifts and drops (about 2') to get the eel swimming in different parts of the water column. Throw in the occasional twitch. Fish crush riggies. There's no waiting a few seconds for the set like a live eel. 

Do you go with a two-hook rig?

15 mins ago, fishinbill said:

Do you go with a two-hook rig?

Typically, yes. Much quicker and easier to do a single hook rig though. 

Posted (edited)

I agree with HanoverStriper that two-hook riggies can work better.  Once you get the hang of it, rigging is pretty simple, especially if you use small zip ties instead of thread.  (Zeno has an excellent vid on using zip ties on his site.)

I also agree that I prefer using riggies *most* of the time, for the reasons stated above, to which I will add that they are a LOT easier to store, and easier to travel with (Meaning in one's bag).  

Many times I'll just hook a dead eel on a light jighead.  Saw somewhere a neat mod to hooks for riggies:  Create a collar on the hook shank such that when you run the hook through the mouth and out the back (for jigheads) you can secure the head of the eel to the shank above the collar.  Some folks build up a collar with epoxy, others use a small nut that's epoxied on.  This keeps the dead eel from sliding down the shank.  I have not yet tried this, but I will make some up in the next week or so.

I've also had very good results fishing dead eels on a wobblehead.  Provides both more weigh to aid in casting, and adds that side-to-side shimmy.

Now if I could only figure out how to rig dead eels on some of my Tony Acetta PET spoons I'll be even happier!

Tony Acetta PET Sppon.jpg

Edited by Southcoastphil

If your leadheads have a thick collar of lead that runs down the hook shank, one might be able to scrape away the top-most 1/4" of that lead, then the remaining lead on the shank could function as a collar, IF it's thick enough.  Haven't tried this yet either.

Now that I'm pondering the idea of collars, I'm considering using epoxy to secure either SS wire or solder that's wrapped around the hook shank.