yemista

new techniques for 2018

66 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

@Angler #1 When we meet again Sandbar I will provide you with  some places to try and also one of the better places that takes a little insite learning how to do, but worth the trial error .

Is there an admission fee?

Just be there with son

19 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

If all goes well with my oral surgery tomorrow It is on my plans to do. We may just have to wait . Hey Blue 34 no to your question. Hopefully at the troll casting event. Bring a copy of the canal , so that we can make a few marks on it.

Will do. Has a date been set yet?

53 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Will do. Has a date been set yet?

Go to the trolls page at the bottom after you post in

18 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

This year I'm going to give eels in the canal a shot. I love jigging but I want an option to mix it up some nights.

I also want experiment with a bottle plug in heavier surf conditions.

Tight lines 2018

If you want to connect for fishing live eels in the ditch, LMK.

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

If all goes well with my oral surgery tomorrow It is on my plans to do. We may just have to wait . Hey Blue 34 no to your question. Hopefully at the troll casting event. Bring a copy of the canal , so that we can make a few marks on it.

Carl, may I join you two for this?

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

If you want to connect for fishing live eels in the ditch, LMK.

I'd love to get some first hand experience from you. Thanks for the offer. :howdy:

Edited by Sandbar1

10 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'd love to get some first hand experience from you. Thanks for the offer. :howdy:

Wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it, Cal.

6 hours ago, zak-striper said:

When I've fished eels at the canal I've used them for most of a full tide.

There are tons of rips and points on both sides of the canal where bass are waiting to ambush bait.

My best eel fishing as been mid-current, when it's ripping. They only cast so far so I prefer to use the current to my advantage to get the most water coverage with the bait.

Good to know. This season I'll do a few eel nights and give them a longer shot when the current picks up. 

I assume eels are thrown weightless? Whats a good rod to throw eels? I might give them a shot in the canal sometime. Would an airwave 1-3 oz be ok? Or do you need more of a jigging rod?

2 mins ago, yemista said:

I assume eels are thrown weightless?

I've always thrown them without weights. The swim down, trying to find cover. As soon as they hit they water they're probably thinking "oh sh-t, I'm exposed and out in the open". As I drift them I'll actually twitch them just a little to make sure they aren't burrowing down into some rocks.

On the beaches I normally throw eels with the 10'6" 3/4-4 mojo. I think I'll try my Lami XSRA 1322-2 to throw larger eels in the canal.

16 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Carl, may I join you two for this?

Phil if all goes well why not a little seminar with live eels on the casting day .

Using live eels weightless has it advantages , however we have a few ways to provide a little more weight ,If you are unable to get the heavier ones from the shops one of which is with rubber core or eggs weight . The egg weight can be used like a fish finder rig , one just needs to make sure the edges are rounded off, if using braid as the main line. The rubber core can be attached with rubber insert or remove the rubber,or egg weight and slide it into the mouth, before securing the hook into the jaw of the eel. You will surprised how much you can help make the eel weigh , it is not easy, sliding a 3/4 or 1 ounce weight into the mouth of a squiggly eel but in some cases worth it it in the end I have used lead rope which is a tubular round lead once used for soldering . Just it is larger in diameter then normally found for larger soldering projects  and also plug weights that has a some diameter, yet easy to insert and slide down the throat . Using these methods required having a few on hand at the same time. 1/2 ,3/4,1,ounce in weight just for an example in your pockets.

I will offer an old yet tried method by rubbing the skin of any dead  eel  with broken glass , just watch out that you do not cut yourself to bring out the blueish irredesant [sp] color   Just make sure the glass has no jagit edges. and is more smooth in nature,

36 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I will offer an old yet tried method by rubbing the skin of any dead  eel  with broken glass , just watch out that you do not cut yourself to bring out the blueish irredesant [sp] color   Just make sure the glass has no jagit edges. and is more smooth in nature,

That’s interesting! I need to learn some of this.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Phil if all goes well why not a little seminar with live eels on the casting day .

Using live eels weightless has it advantages , however we have a few ways to provide a little more weight ,If you are unable to get the heavier ones from the shops one of which is with rubber core or eggs weight . The egg weight can be used like a fish finder rig , one just needs to make sure the edges are rounded off, if using braid as the main line. The rubber core can be attached with rubber insert or remove the rubber,or egg weight and slide it into the mouth, before securing the hook into the jaw of the eel. You will surprised how much you can help make the eel weigh , it is not easy, sliding a 3/4 or 1 ounce weight into the mouth of a squiggly eel but in some cases worth it it in the end I have used lead rope which is a tubular round lead once used for soldering . Just it is larger in diameter then normally found for larger soldering projects  and also plug weights that has a some diameter, yet easy to insert and slide down the throat . Using these methods required having a few on hand at the same time. 1/2 ,3/4,1,ounce in weight just for an example in your pockets.

Carl,

That's a great idea!  I'm in, for sure.