yemista

new techniques for 2018

66 posts in this topic

This year I am going to try fishing a darter from the beach at night. Ive read a lot about them, but never tried fishing them. I will be throwing a yellow super strike darter weighing 2  3/8 oz. I will be throwing it on an airwave weighted up to 3 1/4 oz. From what I understand about night fishing, you dont need to bomb your lure way out there, but this lure supposedly casts decently well anyways.

You're correct. At night long casts are not really needed, and often not productive. Fish cruise the surfline in search of food. I used to fly fish the beaches often, and some of my largest fish 15' off the surfline in knee deep water. On moonlit nights I'd often see the dorsals of large fish just a few feet off the beach.

This year I'm going to give eels in the canal a shot. I love jigging but I want an option to mix it up some nights.

I also want experiment with a bottle plug in heavier surf conditions.

Tight lines 2018

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

This year I'm going to give eels in the canal a shot.

Eels at the canal can be killer, and a lot of fun. Feeling the striper tap, tap your eel, giving it a few seconds  to take it, then setting the hook, is some fun fishing.  I prefer throwing lures but I fish eels occasionally when I have the patience to carry them with me. I've caught some nice stripers with eels at the canal.

Edited by zak-striper

1 min ago, zak-striper said:

Eels at the canal can be killer, and a lot of fun. Feeling the striper tap, tap your eel, waiting for it to take it, then setting the hook, is some fun fishing.  I prefer throwing lures but I fish eels occasionally when I have the patience to carry them with me. I've caught some nice stripers with eels at the canal.

Good to know.

Its definite not something I'm going to do all the time but I want some more options to target bass at different stages of the tide.

38 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Eels at the canal can be killer, and a lot of fun. Feeling the striper tap, tap your eel, giving it a few seconds  to take it, then setting the hook, is some fun fishing.  I prefer throwing lures but I fish eels occasionally when I have the patience to carry them with me. I've caught some nice stripers with eels at the canal.

I don't carry them all that much at the canal, but eels can be great for the slowest current that borders slack. I'm sure other guys with more time on water could give a better read, but I like them at the very end of a tide- slow water- before a pod of fish you might be on has got up and bounced/repositioned at slack. Can keep the action going late, when the current slows enough to make previously effective jigs difficult to work.

Also good if bass are poking around searching after lobsters or crabs, that I think move out from cover more readily at slow tide or slack itself. I think the window to fish eels is longer during neap tides vs spring. Once that current starts running decent, I switch back to artificials. Without a fresh lively eel to fight and swim down against the current, it rips the thing along near the surface and swings them right back in to shore, on top. Soon you're just wasting casts.

Sandbars

Eeling has been and still remains as a great choice for catching big momma in the canal. I prefer a conventional over the spinning reel as In my opinion you get more control faster of the fish when you need it. It is important  to seek out the deeper holes close to the shore line and hit them hard during the late summer and fall fishing/ You do not need to just fish during the stealth time . but early mornings and evening. It is not just throw out the eel and wait as in many cases it sort of is like chunking at times and using the shore current to allow the eel to swim into a nice hole or two. A full spool of line is required to allow the eel to swim in free spool , but at a controlled rate. You will know when it is about to get a strike, if you have the line in your hand. It is almost like live lining herring, pogy or Mackerel  You will feel the quivering of the eel , so drop the rod to the strike and rear back . Be prepared for a little lift up, should you have your drag to tight . That is one place a good waist rod holder comes in handy, it takes all of the weight from your shoulders and provided a secure place to fight the fish. Not all eeling is done with live eels , so keep that in mind as you will find times the eels will die on you, but they are still worth using, you just have to pretend that they are an artificial and work it accordingly. Some holes are best when it is running east and some are better when running west, I have always preferred those running west for what ever reason and or where the current can pull the eel out into the deeper depths of the canal away from me rather then going perpendicular to the shore line, but that is not to say that it also will work at times. When we meet again Sandbar I will provide you with  some places to try and also one of the better places that takes a little insite learning how to do, but worth the trial error .

12 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

This year I'm going to give eels in the canal a shot. I love jigging but I want an option to mix it up some nights.

I also want experiment with a bottle plug in heavier surf conditions.

Tight lines 2018

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

There have been several nights when stripers simply exploded on my eel. In my experience the Canal is the only place where this has happened. However, the classic tap, tap and feel the weight plays out at low slack too. 

Keep fishing the eel until it is dead. At that point and as the current starts to pick up put a jig head through it's mouth just as you would a soft plastic. Tie it off just behind the head with two zip ties or braid then fish it as a jig. 

If you have any dead eels take them home and put them in a freezer bag for later. Rig them up in the same manner and jig away. As far as tackle for eel's I prefer Mustad 94150 hooks because they have a bigger barb than other hooks. This keeps the eel on longer. Hook it behind an eye and check it from time to time. I like 40 or 50 lb braid with a 3 ft leader that is ten lbs heavier tied with an Alberto knot. 

One final piece of advice that I'll add is to be persistent with whoever is getting your eels for you at the shop. I will not name any particular shops but I once asked for some eels 12-14" in length and he brings me goliaths. Find out what size you like and ensure that they give it to you.

@Angler #1 When we meet again Sandbar I will provide you with  some places to try and also one of the better places that takes a little insite learning how to do, but worth the trial error .

Is there an admission fee?

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Its definite not something I'm going to do all the time but I want some more options to target bass at different stages of the tide.

20 hours ago, rst3 said:

I don't carry them all that much at the canal, but eels can be great for the slowest current that borders slack....but I like them at the very end of a tide- slow water-

When I've fished eels at the canal I've used them for most of a full tide. When the tide slacks is when I revert to lures such as poppers or Savage sand eels.

There are tons of rips and points on both sides of the canal where bass are waiting to ambush bait. Drifting an eel in the current, then feeling the tap, tap is worth the hassle of carrying the white bucket. My best eel fishing has been mid-current, when it's ripping. They only cast so far so I prefer to use the current to my advantage to get the most water coverage with the bait.

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

@Angler #1 When we meet again Sandbar I will provide you with  some places to try and also one of the better places that takes a little insite learning how to do, but worth the trial error .

Is there an admission fee?

Thank you for that. Looking forward to it, will you be making it to the breakfast?

17 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Thank you for that. Looking forward to it, will you be making it to the breakfast?

Anytime! No on breakfast as my son is playing in the Lobster Pot hockey tournament this weekend.

9 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Anytime! No on breakfast as my son is playing in the Lobster Pot hockey tournament this weekend.

Thanks, good luck to your son

Don't no the new ways.

Back in the dinosaurs days when I had hair with color  .

Fished with 40-50 hooks in pocket

Streen 20lb mono in hip pocket.

100 eels in a five gallon bucket.

One rod and reel.

Wearing waders we would row ashore in a pram from anchored boat eight hundred ft. off shore.

Once hitting the shore we were there till sunup.

If the night was right we cleaned house

Biggest night I recalled was 70 ,thirty five pound fish. THE NIGHT I DIDN,T GO.

That's 2500 lbs of bass that sold for two dollars a pound. $5,000.

The beach has changed shape and the fish don't stack up there anymore.

And this is why old guys smile.

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

If all goes well with my oral surgery tomorrow It is on my plans to do. We may just have to wait . Hey Blue 34 no to your question. Hopefully at the troll casting event. Bring a copy of the canal , so that we can make a few marks on it.